Logged in - Not logged in

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CommonMan

Boris_Badenov said:
We are sorry. This email and/or password combination does not exist.
There doesn't seem to be any detectable pattern to when or why this happens (like it just did :evil: ) & it really is more of annoyance than a real problem.

This seems to be happening just to me and you, no one else has complained about this, have they?
If not then maybe they are trying to keep ME and YOU from posting our very intelligent posts.

M

MeteorWayne

No, I've had the problem, as documented above. But as stated, it's really more of a minor annoyance than a problem....

D

drwayne

It has happened to me as well, but I just assumed I fat fingered the userid/password - usually
a good assumption for me.

:)

C

CommonMan

drwayne":3heaznz3 said:
It has happened to me as well, but I just assumed I fat fingered the userid/password - usually

I don't type it in. I used the saved password, just click it, when it dosn't work the first time I do the exact same thing then it works on the second time.

M

MeteorWayne

CommonMan":154n4pc0 said:
Wayne, I meant it as a joke.

No offense taken! It's a minor problem that TPTB need to put on the list....but it's a low priority one. Posting the reports here gives them valuable info. That's all I was trying to do.

WayneMan

D

drwayne

CommonMan":1y7vacaa said:
drwayne":1y7vacaa said:

I don't type it in. I used the saved password, just click it, when it dosn't work the first time I do the exact same thing then it works on the second time.

Yep. Cool. So it's not ALWAYS my fault, just most of the time. :)

B

Boris_Badenov

Boris_Badenov":3nnmt6yq said:
There doesn't seem to be any detectable pattern to when or why this happens (like it just did :evil: ) & it really is more of annoyance than a real problem.
I thought it was fixed, but it just happened again. :roll:

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, for me it seems to happen randomly once in 3 or 4 login attempts. Since I log in so rarely, it's hard to judge, and is a minor annoyance, since I have always been sucessful on the second attmpt....so far :)

E

EarthlingX

I have a strong suspicion as to a cause of this trouble.
I think it's caused by improperly configured DNS. Check my post here for more details.
In short, SDC you are showing your parts ! ;)

B

Boris_Badenov

MeteorWayne":2wgk1bem said:
Yeah, for me it seems to happen randomly once in 3 or 4 login attempts. Since I log in so rarely, it's hard to judge, and is a minor annoyance, since I have always been sucessful on the second attmpt....so far :)
It just happened again. Twice in one day.

B

Boris_Badenov

GRRR!!!

E

EarthlingX

Boris_Badenov":lqgldj96 said:
GRRR!!!
This is how terrorists get fuel for their misguided ideas :evil: :(

W

willpittenger

SpeedFreek":1mzswmnj said:
I still have to log in every day, even though I always tick the box that says "Keep me logged in until I log out."

It doesn't matter whether I log in using the top field (with the green writing, next to the SDC banner), or use the forum login below, the same thing always happens - I have to log in at least once a day. I have cleared out my cookies and cache and it still happens.

Any ideas why this is still happening?

If you use Firefox, I may have a work around for you. I had a very similar problem with SDC. I got logged out of the forums, but remained in SDC. Depending on how often I visited the forums, every 1-2 days I would have to log back in. This happened with both my old XP machine and my current Vista machine. What I did was install Customize Your Web.

If you use it, follow these steps to get it working:
  1. Open a SDC forum page and, if needed, log out.
  2. Press F10 to start a new CYW script. (At this point, if you have AIOS, turn off its autohide option.)
  3. Click the log in link. CYW will show a menu.
  4. Select "If Element Exists".
  5. Press Ok.
  6. Click the log in link again.
  7. Select "Click".
  8. Press OK.
  9. In the sidebar, click Save. CYW will reload the page and attempt to run the script. If it works, it will take you to the log in page where you will enter a second script (next).
  10. Press F10 again.
  11. Click the Submit or login button.
  12. Select "If Element Exists".
  13. Click Ok.
  14. If "Keep me logged in" is unchecked, click it, select "Click" from the menu, and then press Ok.
  15. Click the Submit or login button.
  16. Select "Click".
  17. Press Ok.
  18. Click on the Save button in the sidebar.

You will now have created two scripts. If you poke around, the first script can be set to run every time it sees a SDC page with a log in link. (While entering the first script, look for "http://www.space.com/common/forums/index.php" in the sidebar. Change it to "http://www.space.com/*".) The main drawback to this "solution" is waiting for two extra pages to load.

B

Boris_Badenov

It happened again!!! :evil:

M

mental_avenger

SDC has also been logging me out in the middle of a session. I will be logged on and try to access either Free Space or Politics forum. The window will hang up forever during loading. I have to reset, and when the page comes up again, I am logged out.

E

EarthlingX

I would just like to say, i have no such problems. I don't have 'keep me logged in' ticked but nevertheless after my first logging in i stay logged until i close the browser. I use FireFox 3.5.3 on WinXP SP3.
I have saved passwords for the site in browser, don't know about cookies.
If you need more settings info, ask.

B

Boris_Badenov

It's started to happen every time I log back in.

B

Boris_Badenov

It seems to happen more at the office than at home too. Like it did just now. The computer at the office adds the info automatically too, so it's not just me fat fingering the keyboard.

B

Boris_Badenov

Boris_Badenov":2k6fg34x said:

It seems to happen more at the office than at home too. Like it did just now. The computer at the office adds the info automatically too, so it's not just me fat fingering the keyboard.
That's the second time today. :roll:

B

Boris_Badenov

Boris_Badenov":38mqcwjq said:
Boris_Badenov":38mqcwjq said:

That's the second time today. :roll:
It hadn't happened for a while & I thought thet fixed it. I guess not as it just happened again. :roll:

C

CommonMan

Still happens to me too. And using dail up, makes it that much worst. Thats why I have slowed down on posting lately. But what can we do?

N

nimbus

Boris_Badenov":qk9hq5li said:
I have all the same problems as above & when I try to log in it tells me my email/password combination does not exist on the first try. It then works fine on the second try & kicks me to the SDC homepage. I then click on the discussion tab & all is okay. It's more of an annoyance, but I do wish it would go away.
Boris - It may not be that bad a problem. I used to have it with IE (not with Opera), and just had it happen with Chrome. Instead of persisting, I pressed Back till I was back at the forum index page. Then I refreshed.
And it recognized me as logged in.

So you can possibly save yourself some of the trouble by just loggin in as usual, ignoring the error page, and going back to and refreshing the forum index, to log yourself in. It seems like logging in is fine - it's just an error in handling the logging in.

N

nimbus

Just had it happen again, and this time when
1) I went back and refreshed the board index, it still showed as not logged-in.
2) It then showed as logged in when I opened one of the forums.
I didn't do anything between 1) and 2).

S

Swampcat

Boris_Badenov":ajman59p said:

This just happened to me.

That's not all. I had left my computer for a couple of hours with SDC message board in one tab of Firefox. I came back to it and clicked on "Board Index" and things went haywire. I lost my desktop background, got a pop-up trying to get me to install something called "Advanced Virus Remover" and repeated messages that I had a critical problem. I tried to get to my Task Manager and was told access to Task Manager had been denied by the Administrator. I'm the administrator. Now I've got two icons on the taskbar that weren't there earlier today and more pop-ups that I can't get rid of.

I don't want to blame SDC in any way, but it seems odd that this started happening when I clicked on "Board Index". It's hard not to see a connection.

Anti-virus software is running and I'm seriously thinking about never coming back to this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.