Mars the anomalies The moon too., part II

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mee_n_Mac

<font color="yellow">When you get past 70 or so you start having a different perspective. “The grumpy old man syndrome†After you listen to all the reasons explanations and all you ask yourself does that make sense. I will use pierround’s comment as an example, hope he don’t mind. <br /><br />“Do you think they sent a camera to mars without a zoom?†This man has already reached this level, I have no idea how old he is, I may have been a little slow. Would they? Let us use the pioneers as an example. If you were loading your wagon heading for the west coast, what would you load? The short answer would be the best stuff you had relative to what you could carry. Translation, if the military had it you did. You are not going to spend nearly a billion dollars to go to Mars and take grayscale Jpegs of the dunes in Russell Crater, duh </font><br /><br />I have to say I don't get your point. Let's remember that they sent Mars Odyssey to Mars to do science, not to make pretty pictures to show on TV. THEMIS was optimized for it's job. It had constraints for size, weight, cost and time. If higher resolution (I assume this is meant vs a true variable focal length zoom) wasn't needed for the mission then I don't see why it would have been obvious to send such an instrument, even if it was available. Especially if it negatively impacted the aforementioned. (Not too mention bandwidth and power) <br /><br />Let me use your analogy. You going west (young man) in a wagon. You can't afford to go it alone so you team up with 2 other guys to share the ride. You don't get to bring all your stuff because it won't fit in the wagon with the other guys gear. Plus the poor horse can only pull so much weight. If you could afford it maybe you could get a larger wagon and a bigger team of horses, but you can't. So you do the best you can and take what you think you need to make it. What about this doesn't make horse sense ?<br /><br />Grayscale, what instrument was g <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<i>I am an atmospheric Scientist</i><br /><br />I though you were subcontractor working on the communications truck crew. http://uplink.space.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=phenomena&Number=762869&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

dfrank,<br /><br />It appears that the discussion of the "blue sky on Mars" is at an impasse. Explanations have been offered regarding the imaging of Mars, equipment and capabilities of some of the earliest ccd camera equipment operated on a spacecraft. Yet, that appears not to be acceptable to you. There is a way to get to the bottom of this. There is a way to investigate the plausibility of your assumption - Science.<br /><br />You are an atmospheric scientist with NOAA or, perhaps, a previous accredited employee there. This should be right up your alley.<br /><br />If the sky on Mars is blue, why is it blue? Certainly, if the sky is blue, there is a reason this is so. What atmospheric requirements are necessary in order to yield a blue sky on Mars? Do those atmospheric requirements exist?<br /><br />There. Simple and efficient. First, establish whether or not your assumption is plausible. Then, we move on to see if it is correct and examine the evidence which is yielded. It's elementary.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

J

JonClarke

<i>You are not going to spend nearly a billion dollars to go to Mars and take grayscale Jpegs of the dunes in Russell Crater.</i><br /><br />Why not? The dunes of Russell crater are very interesting. <br /><br />Of course this is not the thing to take images of on Mars. There are thousands of features and processes worth imaging.<br /><br />Jon<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

D

dfrank

Jon,<br /><br />Jo said<br />I am an atmospheric Scientist <br />I though you were subcontractor working on the communications truck crew.<br /><br />Dfrank said:<br />I said my job was monitoring thunderstorms at the relay sites. Who you think they would get to do that? Yea I guess they want let anyone on that crew.<br /><br />Dfrank<br />

Y

yevaud

<i>I am an atmospheric Scientist </i><br /><br />When was this? Where was this? Detail. More than just that, please. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

D

dfrank

A lost packet said:<br /><br />“If the sky on Mars is blue, why is it blue? Certainly, if the sky is blue, there is a reason this is so. What atmospheric requirements are necessary in order to yield a blue sky on Mars? Do those atmospheric requirements exist?â€<br /><br />I thought you would never ask, lol<br /><br />Some say nitrogen that would be BS. Some would say aerosols that would be BS. The truth is Raleigh scattering, goggle it.<br /><br />Dfrank<br />

J

JonClarke

On the zoom thing, it is also worth noting that the two spacecraft with high resolution capability, MGS and MRO, carried both wide angle context cameras and high resolution cameras. This allows simulanteous viewing of wide areas at high resolution and small areas at high resolution. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<font color="yellow">dfrank - The truth is Raleigh scattering, goggle it.</font><br /><br />I don't have to google it. I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't already have an understanding of the phenomenon.<br /><br />I'm quite aware of what makes the sky on Earth blue. But, you're making the assertion, apparently, that the sky on Mars is blue. So, let's drop the imaging for a moment and use some basic reasoning techniques.<br /><br />Is it possible or plausible to assume the sky on Mars is blue?<br /><br />Well, what do we have to know in order to find the answer to that question without going to Mars and taking a picture? Anwer: We have to know what atmospheric effects makes the sky appear "blue" and whether or not those atmospheric effects can be generated on Mars.<br /><br />Well, you're the atmospheric scientist. You, more than anyone, should be able to answer this. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

J

JonClarke

"Subcontractor working on the communications truck crew" were your wortds, not mine. Why would an atmospheric scientist be needed to monitor thunderstorms on a truck?<br /><br />Whose communicatiosn truck was it?<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

D

dfrank

Jon, <br /><br />I will not get to personal.<br /><br />ABC news. Why would they get me? Because I am the best meteorologist this world has ever known, get the point?<br /><br />Dfrank<br />

M

MeteorWayne

Pretty outrageous claim.<br /><br />Well, you made it.<br /><br />What evidence can you provide that you are<br />"the best meteorologist this world has ever known"<br /><br />To me your boasting makes you sound like a blowhard. Please prove me wrong.<br /><br />I'm all ears .<br /><br />MEFUYDVVfdsdgvdv <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

mental_avenger

dfrank: <font color="yellow"> Sudo is an acronym for same-old. It is something we use at NOAA. </font><br /><br />No it isn’t. When I worked for General Atomic I worked on NOAA projects, and I have never heard of it. Apparently no one else in the known cyber world ever has either. A search of the internet shows thousands of references to Sudo. Most of them refer to the acronym: sudo, Short for superuser do. Others show it as a surname. The only other references were just as I showed it, another term for false .<br /><br />dfrank: <font color="yellow"> I think I see what is going on here. Just read and try and understand this old man. </font><br /><br />In six years on Space.com Uplink, no member has ever continually harped on their age the way you do.<br /><br />dfrank: <font color="yellow"> Since I am 97 years old I am going to take a few liberties, the over 95 rule, If you don’t like it tuff, that’s the rule. </font><br /><br />In your world, perhaps. But you are on Uplink now, and Uplink has posted rules. Those rules apply to everyone, regardless or race, creed, color, or age.<br /><br />dfrank: <font color="yellow"> If you were loading your wagon heading for the west coast, what would you load? The short answer would be the best stuff you had relative to what you could carry. Translation, if the military had it you did. You are not going to spend nearly a billion dollars to go to Mars and take grayscale Jpegs of the dunes in Russell Crater, duh </font><br /><br />Did you even read the explanations I presented. That really is how the cameras work. And if you took the time to read the PIP for the missions, you should understand that the maximum use of the limited power that is available on such a craft is to image the surface in such a manner as to get the most useful informatio <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

D

dfrank

Meteorwayne,<br /><br />Yes it is a boast. If I live long enough we will follow the storms coming this season. Maybe you will ask questions? Maybe someone will read.<br /><br />Am I the best, yes I am. Follow and see. No BS here.<br /><br />Good to hear you are all ears, I will not let you down.<br /><br />Dfrank<br />

M

MeteorWayne

I'm still waiting for proof, not an idle boast. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

dfrank

Meteorwayne,<br /><br />It will be easy enough. The seasons are changing. How many questions you got? Lets have fun.<br /><br />Dfrank<br />

M

MeteorWayne

Why should I ask questions, you never seem to answer any that are asked.. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

<i>I am an atmospheric Scientist </i><br /><br /><font color="yellow">When was this? Where was this? Detail. More than just that, please.</font><br /><br />I see. This perfectly reasonable request was ignored. So noted. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

D

dfrank

Yevaud,<br /><br />Read.<br /><br />I am an atmospheric Scientist <br /><br />When was this? Where was this? Detail. More than just that, please. <br /><br />I see. This perfectly reasonable request was was ignored. So noted. <br /><br />Jon, <br /><br />I will not get to personal. <br /><br />ABC news. Why would they get me? Because I am the best meteorologist this world has ever known, get the point? <br /><br />Dfrank<br />

D

dfrank

Yevaud,<br /><br />Read.<br /><br />I am an atmospheric Scientist <br /><br />When was this? Where was this? Detail. More than just that, please. <br /><br />I see. This perfectly reasonable request was was ignored. So noted. <br /><br />Jon, <br /><br />I will not get to personal. <br /><br />ABC news. Why would they get me? Because I am the best meteorologist this world has ever known, get the point? <br /><br />Dfrank<br />

D

dfrank

Yevaud,<br /><br />You got a problem?<br /><br />Dfrank<br />

Y

yevaud

You've stated no antecedents. I am curious...this is my speciality. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts