more space junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

usn_skwerl

I double posted this, as it deals with both aviation and possibly space stuff. If possible, I'd like to keep both up for a couple days, so the folks who don't visit the aviation forum can add their 2 cents. Thanks.<br /><br />(original post)unidentified falling object.<br /><br />Any idea what this could be?<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Smoldering Object Falls from the Sky<br /><br />Twisted Metal Object Ripped Through SUV Roof<br /> By Dann Cuellar and T.J. Alexander<br />October 15, 2007 - Action News is learning more about the unidenified falling object that ripped through the roof of a SUV roof in Delaware.<br /><br />The FAA is now conducting an investigation to determine if the metal object fell from a plane. A couple people tell investigators it sounded like a bomb or a gunshot when it crashed through the roof of Susan Wilson's car. <br /><br />It happened around 4 p.m. in the parking lot of Happy Harry's on Main Street in Stanton. The heavy and badly worn piece of metal resembling a j-hook was still smoldering when fire fighters arrived. It struck Wilson's car with such velocity, it ripped through the metal roof. <br /><br />Luckily no one was in the car when it happened. <br /><br />The area is said to be near a flight pattern for new castle county airport, which is three and a half miles away. A representative from the FAA was sent out to investigate. <br /><br />Officially, no word on what the metal object is or where it came from. The FAA says it may be 3 or 5 days before they have answers. <br /><br /><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />video on right side of page.<br /><br />One thing I don't get is why the guy being interviewed can't even say, in his opinion, on whether the piece was from <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

comga

The man from the FAA could discuss the object. He chooses not to, as he is instructed to do.<br /><br />The fact that it appears rusted and is hot does seem to weigh against coming from an airplane. If it came from an engine, the FAA would know about it, but it does not look like an engine part. Orbital debris does seem more likely. <br /><br />Wonder if we will ever hear, of if this will just slide off into obscurity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts