My latest idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grooble

Reposted here as requested - - - <br /><br />To orbit methods.<br /><br />I choose the air launch. I've seen it done with my own eyes, spaceshipone, and hope t/space carries through with the logical next step of that program with orbital capability. <br /><br />I had this idea. <br /><br />What if you created an enourmous delta wing aircraft with a dozen powerful turbine engines. On top of this would be a craft, such as the one in your image, the spaceplane. And as i mentioned a week or two ago, it could have one of those catapults like the aircraft carriers, but perhaps more powerful and a longer run. <br /><br />That way the craft would be launched away from its mothership, allowing its engines to kick in and fly to orbit. <br /><br />With a sturdy delta wing mothership, you could perhaps have a ramp at the back of it and some kind of tow cable could pull the spaceplane to the top of it. <br /><br />So you don't have to spend a lot of time and money to get the craft into position on the mothership, just a quick 10 minute operation. <br /><br />It's just a vague outline, i only thought of it 10 minutes ago. <br /><br />Also, perhaps you could incorporate the sort of floating tech JPAerospace is working on to give better lift? <br /><br />Could you fill the inside with some kind of gas like Helium? Would it offer any kind of lifting benefit and reduced fuel needs?<br /><br />

V

vogon13

How much of a bump in performance would you get with a Pegasus launched at 60000 feet, mach 2 from a Concorde?<br /><br />Neat proof of concept for a drastic upgrade such as you propose. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

tomnackid

When the catapult shoots the 2nd stage forward your mothership shoots backwards--you gain nothing! (Remember Newton?) Aircraft carriers are many time more massive than fighter planes and are embedded in a viscous medium.

L

Leovinus

And the point of the catapult is to give the aircraft sufficient airspeed for lift with very little runway. An airborne object already has that airspeed and needs no runway. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts