Mystery meteorite illness

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree,<br /><br />It should be illegal.<br /><br />Those meteorite fragments need to be cataloged & handled properly, so we can learn more<br />about the impact & the impactor.<br /><br />I sincerely hope that this has happened in this case. <br /><br />If Farmer is doing something illegal, than hopefully he will be stopped & arrested.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

BBC article on meteorite smuggling:<br /><br />http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6549197.stm<br /><br />SMH article that places meteorites in the larger context of the illegal trade in fossils, etc. (and the difficulties in balancing legitimate trade against looting):<br /><br />http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/fossil-collectors-and-police-walk-on-eggshells/2007/08/10/1186530618581.html<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

M

MeteorWayne

It is really very sad that if there is a primative chondrite there, that they will leave it to dissolve in the sulpherous water.<br /><br /><br />BTW, in the US, if a meteorite falls on private property, it belongs to the property owner.<br /><br />If it falls on governmental land, it belongs to the governmental entity that "owns" that land.<br /><br />IMHO, that makes sense.<br /><br />Meteor Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

It's one solution. It's not without problems, as the Sue contraversy showed.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

"In addition, he explained that an attempt to extract the water from the crater would not be made because it would be impossible. He stated that the earth was saturated with water and the crater would always be full."<br /><br />Grrrr.<br /><br />Extracting the water from that crater would be trivial. One moderate diesel generator and a couple few thousand gallon/hour sumps would be sucking dry in a few minutes no matter how wet it was...<br /><br />Ever watched the THC show on the building of the Twin Towers? They were basically draining the Hudsen continuously. Then building slurry walls to keep it back. One teeny little crater? Pulease. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

People people building the twin towers have somewhat larger budgets and heavier macheinary that is likley to be had in a remote corner of Peru.<br /><br />Pieces of the meteorite have already been recovered and will help classify it. WE don't need more (unless it turns out to be a particular unusual one).<br /><br />The only point to excavating the crater would be if there was a large mass underneath. So far there is no direct evidence of this.<br /><br />Any attempt to excavate the meteorite will destroy the crater, which is probably of much greater interest. Seeing how the sides slump and the pool fills in will also be important.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Sure - and this isn't exactly building the Towers, as I noted.<br /><br />I was pointing out the inaccuracy of saying that it was impossible to drain the crater. A quickie phone call says I could drain the crater for about $250/day and still likely pump dry. Of course, you can't just phone-up your local United Rentals there, although I know for a personally established fact that heavy equipment rental in Bolivia is common.<br /><br />When I hear how impossible something is, it always makes me growl. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.