Mystery missile caught on video off L.A. coast

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacebar18

MeteorWayne":5agftu1x said:
spacebar18":5agftu1x said:
That was a missile 100 %
Why, because you say so? Didn't you read any of the other posts with objections? What's your response?

From where I come from= If it sounds like missile , If it looks like missile than its a missile. :)

I

ILUVSPACCE

A five minute long video of a panel on the subject, from are friends at fox :roll: However a former general says it is a missile. As for me, I am completely undecided.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJ7eSAJpQ4[/youtube]

M

MeteorWayne

spacebar18":18sk2xj2 said:
MeteorWayne":18sk2xj2 said:
spacebar18":18sk2xj2 said:
That was a missile 100 %
Why, because you say so? Didn't you read any of the other posts with objections? What's your response?

From where I come from= If it sounds like missile , If it looks like missile than its a missile. :)

Well, there was no sound, it looked like a contrail, so therefore it probably is a contrail. :lol:

A

adrenalynn

Yesterday, on the radio, I heard some Pentagon talking head saying it was a private rocket launch.

Awful lot of confusion for a contrail, no?

M

MeteorWayne

Awful lot of confusion period. Not unusual when the only witness is a news helecopter :)

C

Couerl

adrenalynn":22uoqrr0 said:
Yesterday, on the radio, I heard some Pentagon talking head saying it was a private rocket launch.

Prolly a woo got that notion here... :lol:

B

bmk1245

ILUVSPACCE":f1pa7anm said:
[...] However a former general says it is a missile. [...]
Contrails' shadow on the haze layer suggests that contrail is oriented horizontally, so, IMHO, its a plane.

M

MeteorWayne

Couerl":2rv5hktz said:
adrenalynn":2rv5hktz said:

Prolly a woo got that notion here... :lol:

Believe me, this is one of the saner sites. The wooniverse is all agog. Here, we at least try and have an intelligent discussion.

I

ILUVSPACCE

bmk1245":39tqs7dn said:
ILUVSPACCE":39tqs7dn said:
[...] However a former general says it is a missile. [...]
Contrails' shadow on the haze layer suggests that contrail is oriented horizontally, so, IMHO, its a plane.

I can't say I know anything about this former general but his opinion should give some credence to the other possibility.

A

adrenalynn

Naw, that's nothing but hearsay. We don't know what former general, former general of what, or what his axes-to-grind are.

S

Smersh

MeteorWayne":2096lavs said:
Awful lot of confusion period. Not unusual when the only witness is a news helecopter :)

And it seems to me like an awful lot of news coverage for a mere contrail. :)

Having said that, I agree it could be a contrail, although just because the Pentagon have now issued a statement claiming it was doesn't make it so of course.

dryson":2096lavs said:
... Perhaps the launch came from a Chinese Boomer that snuck into coastal water's fired off a missile turned on their cativation drive and went home ...

Interesting you should say that, because there's a story doing the rounds at the moment about a Chinese submarine that surfaced unexpectedly right next to the carrier USS Kittyhawk during a military exercise near Taiwan, seemingly as a show of strength so perhaps one of their subs did launch it as a test if it was a missile. (Although if they had done so just off the coast of California where the trail was reported I would have thought the US would have considered that an aggressive act.) I should also point out that that story is from the "Daily Fail ... "

E

EarthlingX

Smersh":1gzyeenp said:
MeteorWayne":1gzyeenp said:

And it seems to me like an awful lot of news coverage for a mere contrail. :)
News-making more likely ...

It was a contrail. Too slow for a missile launch, if nothing else.

Jet contrails from some angles look like missile trails

Mystery 'missile' likely a jet contrail, says expert

Chinese missile, UFOs .. :lol: A bit of paranoia mixed with wishful thinking ? :roll:

7 Things That Create Great Space Hoaxes

S

Smersh

EarthlingX":2wtuf9bd said:
News-making more likely ...

It was a contrail. Too slow for a missile launch, if nothing else ...

I'm leaning towards contrail as well to be honest. Applying Occam's Razor here would draw that conclusion I think, but the media certainly seem to have got a lot of mileage out of this one because there seem to be a lot of people (including some who call themselves "experts") who insist it was a missile.

And I agree with your comment about "news-making." You're preaching to the converted because I have made similar comments myself recently in some UFO threads about the way the media invent stories sometimes. In fact, here's an an example of the media seemingly still getting as much mileage as possible out of the "missile" ... another one over New York City:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYglwkBhxK0[/youtube]

"Story" here.

But according to that report:

...CBS 2 reached out to a top astronomer who looked at the video. He said it looks beautiful, but that is was like nothing more than what’s known as a “contrail” — condensation from a commercial or military jet ...

However, since the object is moving much too fast to be an aircraft contrail in my opinion, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the media speeded up the video ... :roll:

M

Mee_n_Mac

If only the news 'copter had been equipped with even a pedestrian version of an HMIR vidcam ... oh well.

flying1.jpg

S

Smersh

And so this story rolls on and on as though it has a life of its own. Several newspapers are now reporting that Doug Richardson, the editor of Jane's Missiles and Rockets, said:

... it might have been a Standard interceptor, the anti-missile weapon which is fitted to the US Navy's Aegis guided-missile cruisers as part of the American missile defence programme.

He said: "It's a solid propellant missile, you can tell from the efflux [smoke] but they're not showing enough of the tape to show whether it's staging [jettisoning its sections]."

Furthermore:

Robert Ellsworth, the former US Deputy Secretary of Defence, said it was "pretty big" but "not a Tomahawk" cruise missile.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ories.html

P

phaze

adrenalynn":1kjf1m4a said:
Naw, that's nothing but hearsay. We don't know what former general, former general of what, or what his axes-to-grind are.

We could make a very long list of "crazy things said by former high-ranking military officials."

M

Mee_n_Mac

Smersh":3cbl749i said:
... it might have been a Standard interceptor, the anti-missile weapon which is fitted to the US Navy's Aegis guided-missile cruisers as part of the American missile defence programme.

He said: "It's a solid propellant missile, you can tell from the efflux [smoke] but they're not showing enough of the tape to show whether it's staging [jettisoning its sections]."

There's one thing I'm pretty sure of and that is that is wasn't and SM2 or SM3. I've seen enough of the former to know what they look like and the "trail" doesn't match. As to the latter, it's lower stages are the same as SM2 and would the same as the purported altitudes.

Nope, try again.

B

bmk1245

ILUVSPACCE":1ce73nk0 said:
I can't say I know anything about this former general but his opinion should give some credence to the other possibility.
Credentials without substantiation of the claims worth little to nothing. Former general stated his opinion. As well, as I offered my opinion, only, nothing more.

E

EarthlingX

Enjoy :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UAeSsvHhTg[/youtube]
RTAmerica | November 10, 2010

The mystery missile that was fired off the coast of California has been solved according to Colleen Thomas, a Pleiadian contact. She says the US government was firing an ICBM at Iran and was intercepted by the Pleidians. Soon after President Obama ordered another missile fired at the Pleidians in order to continue Bilderberg and the Illuminati's rule.

A

adrenalynn

That's gotta be from The Onion, I hope. Roseville? Just up the street from me. [shaking head] Only in Californication...

S

Smersh

adrenalynn":2ibu7p8k said:
That's gotta be from The Onion, I hope. Roseville? Just up the street from me. [shaking head] Only in Californication...

Nope she's deadly serious. I saw it posted on a woo-woo board a couple of days ago, but even there it was only posted as a joke!

M

MeteorWayne

Wow! I can see Colleen would be well protected in a frontal crash, but I'd have to wrap her entire head in tinfoil to get close. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

A

adrenalynn

I had no idea they were installing airbags on a windbag. Thanks for bringing them, err, it to our attention. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look - I'm rather under-impressed at the waffling pseudo-explanations from the usual suspects, but that chick puts the wingnuts here to absolute shame. None of our woo's are fit to even gaze upon a crash-test involving her... ;)

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, she is in a class by herself! I was so overwhelmed by the woo, I was actually stunned for a few minutes. :shock:

A

a_lost_packet_

EarthlingX":me0ge7jt said:
Enjoy :...The mystery missile that was fired off the coast of California has been solved according to Colleen Thomas, a Pleiadian contact. She says the US government was firing an ICBM at Iran and was intercepted by the Pleidians. Soon after President Obama ordered another missile fired at the Pleidians in order to continue Bilderberg and the Illuminati's rule.

Her Woo is Fight!

I, too, was momentarily stunned by the force of her Woo.

Does she remind any of the old-timers of Earthsister?

Not her looks, her woo-filled story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts