NASA: commercial spaceport at KSC

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Sounds like SpaceX won't be alone down there....<br /><br />Link....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><b>NASA proposes commercial launch pad<br /><br /><i>Plan meant to make US more competitive worldwide</i></b><br /><br />BY TODD HALVORSON<br />FLORIDA TODAY<br /><br />CAPE CANAVERAL - <b><font color="yellow">NASA will unveil plans this week that would enable Florida or private companies to build and operate a commercial launch complex at Kennedy Space Center.<br /><br />With shuttle fleet retirement set for 2010, the complex could pave the way for an American company to launch U.S. astronauts and supplies to the International Space Station rather than buying those services from Russia.<br /><br />It could help the U.S. regain a larger share of a global commercial launch-services market dominated by foreign competitors.</font></b><br /><br />Hundreds of jobs could be created, offsetting an anticipated loss of 2,500 to 3,500 positions after shuttle fleet shutdown. But the plan is controversial.<br /><br />People are concerned about the impact on coastal wetlands and on endangered and threatened species. Potential threats to areas of high historical or archeological value likely will be questioned, too.<br /><br />NASA, consequently, will hold four public hearings next week as part of an environmental assessment required by federal law. Agency officials will seek comment about the proposed project in general and about two specific sites now under evaluation.<br /><br />"What we want people to do is talk to us," said Mario Busacca, head of planning and special projects in the Environmental Program Office at KSC.<br /><br />"Here's the bottom line: In order for NASA to make a good decision, we need the public input," he said. "We need to understand what their issues are and how any decision we make is going to affect the public.<br /><br />"W</p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

comga

"Not a bad idea...."<br /><br />I am not so sure. A private company comes to CCAFS to refurbish a launch pad with their own money, and NASA starts to plan to build a commercial launch pad a short distance away. I say "plan" because they have priced the project. They have started the political machine going by talking about the thousands of jobs they could "save", paving the way for government "help" with the project. What purely commercial group is going to use such a standing army?

N

nec208

With shuttle fleet retirement set for 2010, the complex could pave the way for an American company to launch U.S. astronauts and supplies to the International Space Station rather than buying those services from Russia. <br />-----------------------------------------------<br /><br />The space shuttle is gone by 2010, and there is no plans for a new shuttle .If NASA has to launch any thing the Russians have to do it.<br /><br /><br />-------------------------------------------------<br />I am not so sure. A private company comes to CCAFS to refurbish a launch pad with their own money, and NASA starts to plan to build a commercial launch pad a short distance away. I say "plan" because they have priced the project. They have started the political machine going by talking about the thousands of jobs they could "save", paving the way for government "help" with the project. What purely commercial group is going to use such a standing army?<br /><br />-------------------------------------------------<br /><br />What they are saying here is looking for a launch pad and the company will pay for it,run it,and keep it going.<br /><br />And the people at NASA will work for the company ?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>And the people at NASA will work for the company ?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Possibly. As I read the article there could be an opportunity for ex-NASA/USA folks, made redundant post-Shuttle, to sign on with the new KSC entity and work for them. It really depends how many staff are made redundant, how many are transferred over to work on Constellation, and who wants to work for the new company.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

N

nec208

<p><strong>In reply to:And the people at NASA will work for the company ? Possibly. As I read the article there could be an opportunity for ex-NASA/USA folks, made redundant post-Shuttle, to sign on with the new KSC entity and work for them. It really depends how many staff are made redundant, how many are transferred over to work on Constellation, and who wants to work for the new company. <br />Posted by SpaceKiwi</strong></p><p>---------------------------------------------------------</p><p>They are going to have to do some thing ,too much unemployment.</p><p>&nbsp;And NASA putting all the faith in Russia to get up in space when the space shuttle is gon by 2010 is not good.</p><p>I can just see they are going to have problems.</p><p>---------------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#000000"><strong>With shuttle fleet retirement set for 2010, the complex could pave the way for an American company to launch U.S. astronauts and supplies to the International Space Station rather than buying those services from Russia.</strong></font></p><p><font color="#000000">--------------------------------------------------------</font></p><p><font color="#000000">This part is so&nbsp; typical US , do away of the means of launching people and supplies to space and pay the Russians to do it!!!</font></p><p>And if you lucky a private company will open and do it and you can pay them.</p><p>Looks like the&nbsp;future is private companies than the government.It looks like&nbsp;it is&nbsp;slowing privatization more and more of NASA.<br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>With shuttle fleet retirement set for 2010, the complex could pave the way for an American company to launch U.S. astronauts and supplies to the International Space Station rather than buying those services from Russia. ----------------------------------------------- The space shuttle is gone by 2010, and there is no plans for a new shuttle .If NASA has to launch any thing the Russians have to do it. ------------------------------------------------- I am not so sure. A private company comes to CCAFS to refurbish a launch pad with their own money, and NASA starts to plan to build a commercial launch pad a short distance away. I say "plan" because they have priced the project. They have started the political machine going by talking about the thousands of jobs they could "save", paving the way for government "help" with the project. What purely commercial group is going to use such a standing army? ------------------------------------------------- What they are saying here is looking for a launch pad and the company will pay for it,run it,and keep it going. And the people at NASA will work for the company ? <br /> Posted by nec208</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>All this is, is just setting aside land for a commericial user.&nbsp; NASA.&nbsp; To do a draft impact statement, NASA had to use existing vehicles as a baseline . NASA employees are not involved.&nbsp; The company would have its own </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nec208

<p>Now I'm thinking may be privatization is good?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.