NASA delays launch of DART asteroid defense mission

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
This is all vey well, but this method will only work against quite small asteroids.

It goes without saying that it would be totally useless against an asteroid half the size (maybe 1% the size) of the Chicxulub asteroid, estimated around 6.82×1015 kg.

Cat :)

Reactions: sam85geo
Sounds like a good project as a start. Perhaps its next phase might be upgrading "smash and crash" space craft to H Bomb armed missiles , (as the late Dr. Edward Teller prosed). The world has a lot of nuclear weapons , space missiles and the trained "finger on the trigger" types that just might appreciate a chance at target shooting for a good cause. As implied in Catastrophe's above post, those really, really "big space rocks" can ruin ones' day and future.

Catastrophe

It is also dangerous to use explosives on asteroids (especially near Earth) as low gravity means scattering of rocks of various sizes through space. Something similar already exists with comets.
This scattering also means that useful rocks (ores) would have to be collected as they are blown away which would be costly in fuel;

If any real, serious costings are done, you may not like the results.

When it comes to "Space Rocks" and a possible redo of the end of the Cretaceous Period, I'm for anything that works to deflect/interdict/destroy/pulverize said rock(s) which includes the "H Bomb missile shoot first ask questions later" methodology. We humans have a proclivity bordering on fondness for things that go violently BOOM. For better or worse, "it's what we do very well".

Catastrophe

As is accepted, some rocks are too large to stop. Others may exacerbate the situation by being split into several still large rocks. Gungho destruction is not the answer, There may be no answer but some actions are worse than others.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
I am not worried about the giant asteroids as they should be relatively easy to spot with plenty of warning. It’s the mid size ones that are scary as they are big enough to cause massive damage but small enough to evade detection. We could get blindsided by one coming from the direction of the sun and never know it until it hit us. Like the Russian one a few years ago.

I don't know if Humanity could survive a large asteroid strike like the Cretaceous Period experienced or even several strikes from lesser sized asteroids where a large asteroid fractures from what ever cause. i.e.: An E.L.E. I'm not willing to either gamble on possible extinction or accept the inevitable, if we have a means and methodology that has some reasonable chance of success at protecting Earth. If I get to vote, I vote for building such defenses including those with H Bomb tipped space capable missiles. Basically, If Earth is going to get "whacked", I prefer to "whack" first with the most.

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
I don't know if Humanity could survive a large asteroid strike like the Cretaceous Period experienced or even several strikes from lesser sized asteroids where a large asteroid fractures from what ever cause. i.e.: An E.L.E. I'm not willing to either gamble on possible extinction or accept the inevitable, if we have a means and methodology that has some reasonable chance of success at protecting Earth. If I get to vote, I vote for building such defenses including those with H Bomb tipped space capable missiles. Basically, If Earth is going to get "whacked", I prefer to "whack" first with the most.
I agree, we have to try. Sitting back and waiting for the end is just not in our d a.

Catastrophe

I agree with much of your post #7 but not with:
"I am not worried about the giant asteroids as they should be relatively easy to spot with plenty of warning",
and #9 does not lessen my concern.
As an admittedly overstated example (to demonstrate a point) what if it were the size of Mars? Coming down to your example of Chicxulub, one of the major factors is effect outside the area of direct impact due to obscuration of sunlight and consequent effects of limiting photosynthesis, thus plant growth, thus food for vegetarians thus along the chain to limiting food of carnivores.