NASA released a new detailed report on the Columbia tragedy and survivability

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;I can see a code smith not bothering to flag an alarm for low RCS propellent with 15 minutes of flight left as there not being much that could be done . . . &nbsp;Likewise, an alarm for "left wing detachment" and about 100 other calamities.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by vogon13</DIV></p><p>The code is not written that way !<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>To continue on the above point ... I was surprised that the conclusion was that depressurization was so rapid that the crew didn't have time to even close up the helmets.&nbsp; This seems to go against the consensus reached here (in a thread or 2)&nbsp;that a person would remain functional in zero pressure for a number&nbsp;of seconds, somewhat validating the 2001 scenario where Dave re-enters the airlock w/o his helmet.&nbsp; Now of course "we" aren't then end all and be all of medical expertise in this area but still ....&nbsp; Does anyone know if it's SOP to put the gloves on first and then seal the helmet ?&nbsp; That would make sense to me and explain why none of the crew didn't seal the helmets.&nbsp; <br />Posted by Mee_n_Mac</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The SOP is to have the gloves on and the helmet on but the helmet&nbsp;face plate up&nbsp;prior to entry.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Of couse it would however if control was not regained then the propellant would be of no use anyway. <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I totally understand that it was going to be no use. I just wonder if, hypothetically, someone had noticed that they were using up propellant that quickly; that they might have ascertained that something was seriously wrong prior to them loosing power. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;The SOP is to have the gloves on and the helmet on but the helmet&nbsp;face plate up&nbsp;prior to entry. <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;When I saw the video I thought I heard someone ask if they could check their suit integrity without their gloves on. Is that possible? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;When I saw the video I thought I heard someone ask if they could check their suit integrity without their gloves on. Is that possible? <br />Posted by rybanis</DIV><br /><br />Is it possible they said that? yeah, though it's a silly question that could indicate a lack of training, or a lack of training retention.</p><p>Is it possible to check the integrity of the suit without the gloves on?</p><p>No. From what I understand, it's a pressure check which could only be performed with gloves on and visor down.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts