NASA responds to Navajo Nation's request to delay private mission placing human remains on the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Addressing the previous comments. Firstly, leaving waste of any description on the moon is unacceptable, regardless of what that waste is. Poop is waste, human remains are (despite how sad it is) just waste. We have to deal with it somehow.

I'm not speaking about the cultural importance here, but neither NASA, nor private companies own the moon. It's a significantly important satellite of ours that must be protected. You'd think after basically destroying our own planet that we'd have learned better.

The poop bags are a weird one. It was so long ago that perhaps the importance of the moon wasn't fully understood, but I'd love to hear that they get collected and returned to Earth when (and if) we manage to get back there again.

If I had any choice in the universe as to where my remains end up, I'd likely choose to be thrown into a volcano, but if it had to be something not on planet Earth, I'd prefer to just be propelled out of the atmosphere and left on a natural course through space.

What these private companies are selling is the opportunity to be unique, at the potential determent of the moon.

What I'm saying is. We've done damage already, let's limit it and not do any more. Rather like what we've done to planet Earth over the last couple hundred years.

Reactions: Highline of Montana
Addressing the previous comments. Firstly, leaving waste of any description on the moon is unacceptable, regardless of what that waste is. Poop is waste, human remains are (despite how sad it is) just waste. We have to deal with it somehow.

I'm not speaking about the cultural importance here, but neither NASA, nor private companies own the moon. It's a significantly important satellite of ours that must be protected. You'd think after basically destroying our own planet that we'd have learned better.

The poop bags are a weird one. It was so long ago that perhaps the importance of the moon wasn't fully understood, but I'd love to hear that they get collected and returned to Earth when (and if) we manage to get back there again.

If I had any choice in the universe as to where my remains end up, I'd likely choose to be thrown into a volcano, but if it had to be something not on planet Earth, I'd prefer to just be propelled out of the atmosphere and left on a natural course through space.

What these private companies are selling is the opportunity to be unique, at the potential determent of the moon.

What I'm saying is. We've done damage already, let's limit it and not do any more. Rather like what we've done to planet Earth over the last couple hundred years.
What is this rot about them not understanding the value of the moon. When you spend a gorillion dollars getting there, would you rather bring back a kilo of poo or a kilo of moon rocks? How on earth is there a difference between landing a scientific probe containing human ashes versus one that doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts