NASA Stereo Solar Eclipse Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

Very nice.<br /><br />Link <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

stickertraders

Thanks for the link. I just shows you how amazing of a universe we live in.

D

doubletruncation

Very nice movie indeed!<br /><br />Something from the article confused me a little though. Apparently they were taking these images to measure the dark current of their camera by looking at the unlit portion of the moon. This seems like a very odd way to do it though. Usually you just keep your shutter closed and expose for however long you need, that way you measure the dark current over the whole CCD (not just the pixels that the moon appears to pass across), and you can do it whenever you'd like. Do they have a strong light leak or something that prevents them from doing this? Also, modern astronomical ccds have basically zero dark current (you can take a one hour exposure and have no dark current), so subtracting darks often just adds noise to your image. I wonder if they don't have the coolent to keep the camera super-cold, or are they just verifying that their dark current is low? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts