Question about Strange Things /Full Moon article

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kelvinzero

<p>http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080418-strange-moon.html</p><p>&nbsp;Hi, does anyone have any informed speculation on how this phenomona would appear to someone watching a lunar dawn during a full moon?</p><p>&nbsp;For starters of course we have a sun rise over an earth rise, but beyond that:</p><ul><li>They mention a haze in photos from suspended dust. Would this be visible to the human eye before the sun rose? How visible? Is there enough dust moving to have any other effect such as a hiss of impacts on the suit?</li><li>They mention a build up of static that could fry electronics. Would you be able to detect this through any human senses? How would it appear?</li><li>Would there be any dangerous rise in radiation when passing through the earth's magnetotail. How dangerous?</li></ul>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080418-strange-moon.htmlHi, does anyone have any informed speculation on how this phenomona would appear to someone watching a lunar dawn during a full moon?&nbsp;For starters of course we have a sun rise over an earth rise, but beyond that:They mention a haze in photos from suspended dust. Would this be visible to the human eye before the sun rose? How visible? Is there enough dust moving to have any other effect such as a hiss of impacts on the suit?They mention a build up of static that could fry electronics. Would you be able to detect this through any human senses? How would it appear?Would there be any dangerous rise in radiation when passing through the earth's magnetotail. How dangerous? <br /> Posted by kelvinzero</DIV></p><p>I would bet that the haze would only be visible if you were observing on the farside of the Moon.&nbsp; Otherwise, the glare of the Earth would wash it out.&nbsp; (Well, strictly speaking, it would keep your eyes from dark-adapting sufficiently to see it.)&nbsp; But I don't know how bright it really is.</p><p>Could it create a hiss of impacts?&nbsp; I suspect the suit's internal systems would be louder than any dust impacts.&nbsp; However, if there is enough static charge, it might produce audible noise on the comms.</p><p>Would you be able to feel the static?&nbsp; That depends.&nbsp; Really sensitive electronics can be fried by a charge far too small to be detected by human pain nerves.&nbsp; But milder charges can be felt if they lift up the hair on your arms.&nbsp; And I think I've read about astronauts feeling detectable zaps sometimes on EVA.&nbsp; (A major cause for concern, since in addition to being insulated inside their suits, a discharge strong enough to feel is definitely enough to cause damage to certain electronics.)&nbsp; So if *you* became charged, you might notice it.&nbsp; But you might not.&nbsp; That's a wishy-washy answer, but it's the best I can do.</p><p>Bottom line is that not much is really known about this electrostatic dust charge, but there are some very real hazards to worry about.&nbsp; It is therefore important to conduct more unmanned science before sending people back to the Moon. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts