Real Sunspots on SOHO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Finally group 1079 is easily visible!

from spaceweather.com:

NEW-CYCLE SUNSPOT: Sunspot 1019 is emerging rapidly near the sun's northeastern limb: movie. The high latitude and magnetic polarity of the spot identify it as a member of new Solar Cycle 24. Readers , if you have a solar telescope, train it on the sun and watch sunspot genesis in action.

SOHO image: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/rea ... i_igr/512/

midi512_blank.gif

C

CalliArcale

Woohoo! A spot!

;-)

'Bout time, too. I finally have a reason to get my solar filter out.

A

AnalynSarte

In this movie, the sunspot, numbered 1019, in growing rapidly from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.
Wooowww...
The high latitude and magnetic polarity of the spot identify it as a member of new Solar Cycle 24.

Science News and Reasearch

S

Saiph

What's soho doing getting sunspots? :shock: It's a satellite! Oh, wait, gotcha :roll: Bad joke.

Good to see though, how long have we been without one this time?

M

MeteorWayne

Release from the AAS meeting on the missing sunspots....they should be back soon.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009 ... stream.htm

Excerpts:

June 17, 2009: The sun is in the pits of a century-class solar minimum, and sunspots have been puzzlingly scarce for more than two years. Now, for the first time, solar physicists might understand why.

At an American Astronomical Society press conference today in Boulder, Colorado, researchers announced that a jet stream deep inside the sun is migrating slower than usual through the star's interior, giving rise to the current lack of sunspots.

Rachel Howe and Frank Hill of the National Solar Observatory (NSO) in Tucson, Arizona, used a technique called helioseismology to detect and track the jet stream down to depths of 7,000 km below the surface of the sun. The sun generates new jet streams near its poles every 11 years, they explained to a room full of reporters and fellow scientists. The streams migrate slowly from the poles to the equator and when a jet stream reaches the critical latitude of 22 degrees, new-cycle sunspots begin to appear.
Howe and Hill found that the stream associated with the next solar cycle has moved sluggishly, taking three years to cover a 10 degree range in latitude compared to only two years for the previous solar cycle.

The jet stream is now, finally, reaching the critical latitude, heralding a return of solar activity in the months and years ahead.

"It is exciting to see", says Hill, "that just as this sluggish stream reaches the usual active latitude of 22 degrees, a year late, we finally begin to see new groups of sunspots emerging."

Because it flows beneath the surface of the sun, the jet stream is not directly visible. Hill and Howe tracked its hidden motions via helioseismology. Shifting masses inside the sun send pressure waves rippling through the stellar interior. So-called "p modes" (p for pressure) bounce around the interior and cause the sun to ring like an enormous bell. By studying the vibrations of the sun's surface, it is possible to figure out what is happening inside. Similar techniques are used by geologists to map the interior of our planet.

In this case, researchers combined data from GONG and SOHO. GONG, short for "Global Oscillation Network Group," is an NSO-led network of telescopes that measures solar vibrations from various locations around Earth. SOHO, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, makes similar measurements from space.

More in full article incuding images.

M

michaelmozina

origin":1bgqv760 said:
MeteorWayne":1bgqv760 said:
Wow, this is really the most impressive sunspot group in years.

spaceweather.com has a nice movie here:

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php ... &year=2009

I am not really up on sun spots, but they sure did seem to develop rather quickly - thanks Wayne.

If you watch the SOHO iron line images you'll see that the active area which creates those sunspots developed rather quickly.

M

MeteorWayne

WoW!! A real serious sunspot group, the first of this cycle:

midi512_blank.gif

Spaceweather.com is also reporting a CME is headed toward earth and will arrive on the 18th.

R

robnissen

MeteorWayne":3kaote0k said:
Spaceweather.com is also reporting a CME is headed toward earth and will arrive on the 18th.

Any chance the CME will create low-latitude auroras?

M

MeteorWayne

From what spaceweather.com said, too early to tell. Now that we have SOHO and the STEREO satellites, a real 3D picture will be constructed, which will give a more accurate prediction. The data is still being analyzed.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

R

robnissen

Thanks. Please post if further analysis does show that low-latitude auroras are likely.

M

michaelmozina

robnissen":55dz0bfr said:
Thanks. Please post if further analysis does show that low-latitude auroras are likely.

http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/browse/2009/12/16/

The COR2 STEREO images show that a moderate sized flare sent material in our direction today. It should be here in a couple of days, but it doesn't look to me like it's a particularly large CME event. Even still I suspect that ACE should should observe a pretty decent density increase in a couple of days and we might get some auroral activity from it.

M

MeteorWayne

New sunspot group on the earth facing side of the sun, from SOHO's MDI:

midi512_blank.gif

M

MeteorWayne

mm, I think I found the answer to your earlier question (from the SOHO site)

Notice: Due to a recent software update, we are experiencing problems with the workflow software that makes the SOHO EIT images available on our website. All other images are not affected. We are working to correct the problem.

The Sunspot group (was 1035, now 1040) that passed behind the sun from the SOHO view was quiet as it reappeared around the left limb, but seems to be firing up again rapidly Especially in EIT 284):

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/rea ... mages.html

here's the 24 hour difference, from spaceweather.com:

1040_anim.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.