Rise of the Apes (a POTA prequel): June 2011 release date

• Thread starter FictionBecomesFact
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FictionBecomesFact

:D Planet of the Apes will reportedly have an interesting prequel released by Fox, called Rise of the Apes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Apes

It will be related to the early 1970's Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, explaining the ape takeover (but in a fresh new way)... :cool:

Will you go see it? I know I will! :)

F

FictionBecomesFact

Re: Planet of the Apes: Genesis / Caesar - a prequel in 2011?

Recent SciFi hits such as Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation and 20th Century Fox's Avatar help show that credible escapism seems to do particularly well during challenging economic times. Hopefully Fox's upcoming Apes thriller will succeed as well.

V

vogon13

The link seems to have expired.

Just wondering though, will they 'split the difference' between the Tim Burton remake and the 'canonical' originals, or just slap something together with out regard to either franchise ??

F

FictionBecomesFact

Although the answer to your question isn't apparent yet, details about the upcoming movie are emerging:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/22943 ... Page1.html

Some say that the franchise isn't worth rebooting though, as its subject matter has supposedly been adequately explored already. Do you agree?

I think that as long as people seek to overcome their oppressors, Caesar: Rise of the Apes' messages can ring close to home for them... Perhaps skeptics believe that nobody has bosses they resent, tax collectors they distrust, or other oppressors who abuse their power? Or perhaps they believe only ethnic minorities felt jubilant when the Roddy McDowell's version of Caesar proclaimed the birth of the Planet of the Apes while the Conquest was taking place? Either way, go Fox go! :) :cool:

N

nimbus

Re: Caesar: Rise of the Apes (a POTA prequel): Will you see it?

I will see it in the comfort of unassumption before I read or see any kind of preview or trailer or critic's take on it.

A

a_lost_packet_

I will make it a point to watch it only as long as I am confident it won't be like the last remake they did.

S

StarRider1701

FictionBecomesFact":3uofpzkw said:

Probably not. I saw Planet of the Apes back in the day, but never watched any of the sequels. I have seen bits and peices of some of those movies on TV and I did see the remake of POA, but for some reason never got into that whole universe/storyline etc...

The concept is mind-bogglingly bad, though! The REMAKE of a SEQUEL!!! :eek: :shock: :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

F

FictionBecomesFact

:idea: Actually, it's reportedly not a remake of a sequel, but rather a clever reimagining's inspiring a prequel that has a slight resemblance to a 1970's sequel featuring the same sort of protagonist, of the same primate species and name.

Did you not like the latest Star Trek movie? It's evolving timeline's sort of similarly reimagined, modified by technology's changing the course of history [and therefore the future] in unanticipated ways. :) And the story will apparently be satisfying even to those who aren't familiar with the previous movies.

A

a_lost_packet_

FictionBecomesFact":2ympoox5 said:
Looks like the release date is June 24th, 2011. Here's some additional info:

http://www.daemonsmovies.com/2010/05/21 ... -the-apes/

Are you looking forward to it? :)

Awwww... crap. Here we go...

From the link .."No human actors will play the role of any apes in the film, with New Zealand based WETA on board to digitally render all the apes. The company will employ many of the same groundbreaking techniques seen in the hit film “Avatar”. "

WTF?

That is going to "kill" the movie, IMO. 3D for the sake of 3D is starting to get annoying. I'm a huge fan of 3D. It's my hobby. The more I learn the more obvious it becomes that 3D has its place in art/film but, there is a huge technological leap that we have not yet overcome. We haven't been able to overcome the "Uncanny Valley" yet.

The Uncanny Valley directly applies to human-like robots or androids. But, the principle can be the same with realistic 3D figures in that no matter how "realistic" we can get, there are nuances regarding organics and living beings that we have not yet been able to overcome with 3D alone.

One of the chief reasons for the old Planet of the Apes success has to do with Chamber's award winning makeup and prosthetics. These allowed the actors beneath the makeup to "Act." The nuances of their facial expressions shown through with dramatic clarity. When McDowell was angry, you knew just how angry he was. When he was smiling, you saw him "smile." When it was time for a dramatic gopher look, he was the dramatic gopher. We can't reach that level of facial tracking for 3D yet. Even motion tracking is still in its relative infancy. Who's going to bone a fully articulated simian skeleton and then motion track it? Who's going to track the subtleties of a calf muscle vibrating when the foot hits the ground?

I worry that this pre-quel is going to rely too heavily on 3D when it shouldn't. Ceasar was a character the audience could identify with because they saw him as a living, breathing entity. Weta Digital's artist Ray Baitt is the primary creator behind one of the most complex 3D characters ever scene - Gollum. Baitt knows his stuff. I've read a lot of his online work including his posts in several forums. The guy is a master of his profession. If anyone can do it, a staff lead by an artist of his caliber would be what I would pick.

But, Gollum was a supporting character and, let's be honest, we "knew" he was a 3D character. Sure, the model and animation were unsurpassed but, for all that, as soon as the model was put on the screen you knew it was a model. Luckily, Gollum had deviated from his original, sorta-hobbitish form so much that we weren't faced with too strong of an Uncanny Valley when we watched his performance. Besides, Gollum was a supporting actor. That's what 3D should be about right now in a live-action film - Supporting the actors and the story.

Characters in ape-suits brings about a classic comical image. But, that was before The Planet of the Apes. Nobody laughed at those apes. They weren't funny, there were serious. The special effects worked so seamlessly with the film and the story that it was simply "transparent." The best special effects you will ever see will be special effects you don't even realize are special... There's no reason I can see why we can't take the same road as the classic and cajole the audience to accept genetically enhanced, humanoidish apes (actors in a monkey suit) and then get on with telling a story and building up the audience's interest in the characters instead of focusing on special effects.

It's going to have "3D" characters in it because that will sell some extra movie tickets, not because its a necessary special effect for the story. The story is all important. I'm tired of producers/directors pushing the camera into 3D where it is not necessary.

Either Ceasar will turn out to be a reviled and hated icon of what's wrong with over-indulging in 3D or someone at Weta will work a miracle and we won't even notice it's a 3D character. I'm betting on the former.

I liked the POTA franchise and am currently working on my own 3D POTA project. So, maybe I'm a bit touchy on the subject. But, I'm tired of seeing overindulgences in 3D being passed off as "artistically necessary" where they are not. I'll still manage to see it but, I won't be so enthusiastic now that I've heard we won't be seeing live actors on the screen for the story's main character.

N

nimbus

Disagree.. I found the 3D navi in Avatar to be more real looking than humans. 3D rendering looked cleaner and crisper than real objects filmed through optics. If the Caesar apes are that well drawn and animated, no problem.

S

StarRider1701

FictionBecomesFact":e0boc93f said:
It will be related to the early 1970's Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, explaining the ape takeover (but in a fresh new way)...

Ooooh, the remake of a sequel! :eek: That just sounds bad right from the start. Naw, I never got into the whole Planet of the Apes series of movies in the first place. Count me out.

A

a_lost_packet_

nimbus":2lnpe7uf said:
Disagree.. I found the 3D navi in Avatar to be more real looking than humans. 3D rendering looked cleaner and crisper than real objects filmed through optics. If the Caesar apes are that well drawn and animated, no problem.

Of all the organic 3D effects that are the most difficult to render convincingly, hair is at the top of the list. It's going to take groundbreaking techniques to render animations of an ape covered in hair realistically.

I haven't seen avatar. So, I don't have the benefit of judging based on that experience. But, I've read industry mags and articles regarding it and have seen how certain things were done so, I have a fairly good idea of what its going to look like. I'm sure it looked great. But, an ape is not an alien. We expect certain things from chimpanzees and we're used to seeing them move. It's going to be a very tough ball of string to wind up and have it be convincing enough to get past the Uncanny Valley, IMO.

N

nimbus

Avatar was nowhere near uncanny valley. FWIW I don't think an ape is as hard to do as a human. Bigger factor IMO is who is doing the CG work. How good the script is.. Avatar-quality chimp render acting out a stupid script could break the illusion.

BTW there was research recently released, or that got press coverage, hinting that uncanny valley didn't exist. I'll post here if I find it.

A

a_lost_packet_

nimbus":3c79fzyu said:
...BTW there was research recently released, or that got press coverage, hinting that uncanny valley didn't exist. I'll post here if I find it.

That would be extremely interesting. But, I sort of doubt it. Maybe the Uncanny Valley doesn't exist for the Japanese. But, since they're the primary repository for %99.9999 of the "Weird Crap" you see on the internet, I wouldn't be too surprised they're not taken aback by human-looking robots. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.