Risky asteroid 2009 WM1(Nov 2009)

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shpaget

Re: Risky asteroid 2009 WM1

Who devised such a complicated naming system?
Half-months? What kind of period is that? Why not year - date - discovery no. that day (if more than one)
Wouldn't it be more intuitive?

M

MeteorWayne

Highly technical stuff, feel free to ignore unless interested. I just post to document it.

Orbital parametrs from JPL:

Element Value Uncertainty (1-sigma) Units
e= .1719246644864024 0.0019528
a= 1.184888134320059 0.0028777 AU
q= .9811766393731639 6.9179e-05 AU
i= 25.93079784806292 0.11382 deg
node= 240.3727731980343 0.047504 deg
peri =162.7283533281359 0.095483 deg
M =17.38876208878369 0.13888 deg
tp= 2455132.744802080918
(2009-Oct-28.24480209) 0.098905 JED
period= 471.1014624872889 d +/- 1.7162
1.29y +/-0.004699 y

n= .7641665939632133 0.0027839 deg/d
Q= 1.388599629266955 0.0033725 AU

Orbit Determination Parameters # obs. used (total) 55
data-arc span 7 days
first obs. used 2009-11-17
last obs. used 2009-11-24
planetary ephem. DE405
SB-pert. ephem. SB405-CPV-2
quality code 8
fit RMS .5076
data source ORB
producer Otto Matic
solution date 2009-Nov-25 00:50:18

Additional Information Earth MOID = 8.99122E-5 AU
T_jup = 5.237

NEODyS:

Value 1-σ variation Units
a= 1.1848 0.002959 AU
e= 0.171869 0.002008
i= 25.93 0.117 deg
Ω= 240.372 0.04886 deg
ω= 162.721 0.0984 deg
M= 51.788 0.2719 deg

Absolute Magnitude (H) 20.4 mag
Slope parameter (G) 0.15 mag
Perihelion 0.9812 AU
Aphelion 1.3884 AU
Asc. node-Earth separation 0.36442 AU
Desc. node-Earth separation 0.00049 AU
Earth MOID 0.00048 AU
Orbital period 471.051 days
Date of orbit computation Nov 25 09:03

M

MeteorWayne

Shpaget":3eg8aswx said:
Who devised such a complicated naming system?
Half-months? What kind of period is that? Why not year - date - discovery no. that day (if more than one)
Wouldn't it be more intuitive?

I believe it was The Minor Planet Center, though it could have been the IAU.

This system actually gives you more info at a glance. The first letter tells you which half month it was discovered in; makes it easier to keep track of current objects. You could do the same mental exercise with doy (day of year) I suppose, but it is what it is. It's not really that complicated once you are used to it.

Remember, in some half months over 6000 objects have been discovered.

Is it easier to remember 2009 WM1 or 2009-11-17-38? I'd vote for the first.

MW

M

MeteorWayne

This topic is now linked to the SDC front page. Don tinfoil hats at this time :lol:

P

promytius

:?: Gosh all that's pretty impressive, but what was that middle part?
I'm just a guy who likes to look at the stars; is there any way you can speak normal English, or point me to a place where all this code will begin to make sense? I'm just as concerned as the next guy - wait, I'll wake him up and ask him - about the sky falling, but after reading through these posts, I'm glad you're watching and I wish I knew what you said about it.

So is there a less technical intro to what you are discussing here that may help me to understand the more technical side of the discussion?
Thanks.

T

tgeairn

What I find interesting (and perhaps useful to refine this thing) is the November 19, 1969 pass. Apollo 12 was up 'there' on that date, and presumably there are still optical and radar recordings of that period.

Can one of the math wizards around here tell me (us) if that theoretical pass was within lunar orbit distance, or maybe even compute it back to see where/when to look?

Interesting thread (and yes, I found my way here once it popped on the SDC home page... Forgot my foil hat though.)

:)

A

ainu7

promytius":xkl50tow said:
I'm just a guy who likes to look at the stars; is there any way you can speak normal English, or point me to a place where all this code will begin to make sense? I'm just as concerned as the next guy - wait, I'll wake him up and ask him - about the sky falling, but after reading through these posts, I'm glad you're watching and I wish I knew what you said about it.

So is there a less technical intro to what you are discussing here that may help me to understand the more technical side of the discussion?
Thanks.

How about to start from wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Earth_Object

M

MeteorWayne

promytius":clu7db60 said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I guess even the less technical stuff that we who follow asteroid threads is pretty technical for someone who isn't familiar with the subject.

Basically, the Palermo Scale (PS) is an estimate of the potential damage to earth of an impact compared to the background risk from asteroids we don't know about. It's algorithmic scale, so PS -1 means that there's 10 times less risk from 2009 WM1 compared to the background risk between now and the potential impact in 2018. PS -2 would mean that the risk is 100 times less.

The Torino Scale is for communicating with the general public (2009 WM1 is currently TS1).

I'll copy it here:

No Hazard
(White Zone) 0 The likelihood of a collision is zero, or is so low as to be effectively zero. Also applies to small objects such as meteors and bodies that burn up in the atmosphere as well as infrequent meteorite falls that rarely cause damage.
Normal
(Green Zone) 1 A routine discovery in which a pass near the Earth is predicted that poses no unusual level of danger. Current calculations show the chance of collision is extremely unlikely with no cause for public attention or public concern. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0.
Meriting Attention by Astronomers

(Yellow Zone) 2 A discovery, which may become routine with expanded searches, of an object making a somewhat close but not highly unusual pass near the Earth. While meriting attention by astronomers, there is no cause for public attention or public concern as an actual collision is very unlikely. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0.
3 A close encounter, meriting attention by astronomers. Current calculations give a 1% or greater chance of collision capable of localized destruction. Most likely, new telescopic observations will lead to re-assignment to Level 0. Attention by public and by public officials is merited if the encounter is less than a decade away.
4 A close encounter, meriting attention by astronomers. Current calculations give a 1% or greater chance of collision capable of regional devastation. Most likely, new telescopic observations will lead to re-assignment to Level 0. Attention by public and by public officials is merited if the encounter is less than a decade away.
Threatening

(Orange Zone) 5 A close encounter posing a serious, but still uncertain threat of regional devastation. Critical attention by astronomers is needed to determine conclusively whether or not a collision will occur. If the encounter is less than a decade away, governmental contingency planning may be warranted.
6 A close encounter by a large object posing a serious but still uncertain threat of a global catastrophe. Critical attention by astronomers is needed to determine conclusively whether or not a collision will occur. If the encounter is less than three decades away, governmental contingency planning may be warranted.
7 A very close encounter by a large object, which if occurring this century, poses an unprecedented but still uncertain threat of a global catastrophe. For such a threat in this century, international contingency planning is warranted, especially to determine urgently and conclusively whether or not a collision will occur.

Certain Collisions
(Red Zone) 8 A collision is certain, capable of causing localized destruction for an impact over land or possibly a tsunami if close offshore. Such events occur on average between once per 50 years and once per several 1000 years.
9 A collision is certain, capable of causing unprecedented regional devastation for a land impact or the threat of a major tsunami for an ocean impact. Such events occur on average between once per 10,000 years and once per 100,000 years.
10 A collision is certain, capable of causing global climatic catastrophe that may threaten the future of civilization as we know it, whether impacting land or ocean. Such events occur on average once per 100,000 years, or less often.

For a good introduction, read:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/doc/sentry.html

This gives you a basic understanding of the general JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab) Sentry system that we refer to.

The current risk page is here:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

The other soure we use is NEODyS:

The Near Earth Object Dynamics site:

http://newton.dm.unipi.it/neodys/index.php?pc=4.0

Both of these take the latest observations of Near Earth Objects (asteroids or very rarely, comets) and calculate the orbit to see if they will be at the same place as the earth in the next 100 years or so.

They update daily as new observations come in, which allow more accurate orbits to be calculated.

As far as the really technical stuff like a (semimajor axis), i (inclination of the object orbit in the solar system compared to earth) q (perihelion; closest approach of the object to the sun in it's orbit), Q (aphelion, furthest distance from the sun), etc, that's a bit too much. If you want to learn more about that, do a search on orbits,,and how they are described.

Hope that helps some, please feel free to ask kore question after you read that stuff, or if you just want to ask some quick ones :)

MW

M

MeteorWayne

tgeairn":5sl7ol6a said:
What I find interesting (and perhaps useful to refine this thing) is the November 19, 1969 pass. Apollo 12 was up 'there' on that date, and presumably there are still optical and radar recordings of that period.

Can one of the math wizards around here tell me (us) if that theoretical pass was within lunar orbit distance, or maybe even compute it back to see where/when to look?

Interesting thread (and yes, I found my way here once it popped on the SDC home page... Forgot my foil hat though.)

I'll check that out; good point. It will take a bit of time! MW

L

lekszikov

Its on the sentry page again. Almost the same data like neodys.

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx!

Well, it's a little different. For one thing Sentry reports cumulative PS and probabilities (PS= -0.76, 1 in 3750 odds).

Sentry has the 2018 impact at PS -0.99 (1 in 10K Odds) and 2027 PS -1.25 (1 in 9090 chance).

The 2032 impact has dropped to PS -2.67, so is kind of off the chart (Gee -2.67 can be ignored :) )

For those playing with impact scenarios, the impact velocity would be 18.12 km/sec.

145 Impacts between 2018 and 2109 listed.

S

silylene

And years 2027 and 2067 now also have rather high PS's, at -2.79 and -2.80. Still 2018 and 2027 are much more worrisome.

Observations so far have come from 5 different observatories over the last week. I imagine this object will get a lot more observation time starting today.

M

MeteorWayne

tgeairn":13vc16aa said:

OK, I ran the numbers. The latest data would indiacte a close approach on Nov 19, 1969, while Apollo 12 was on the lunar surface. One thing to realize is that as it stands the orbit is still very poorly known, with only a 7 day observational arc. So the predictions for 2018 (only 9 years from now) are far more precise than those for 1969 (40 years ago), as the following will demonstrate.

The nominal (most likely) orbit placed the close approach at 26 times the lunar distance. However the minimum distance from earth was only about 6000 km!. Realistically, all we can say it was somewhere within 50 or so lunar distances of earth. Maybe :)

I doubt it would have shown up on any radar data if it was 26 or 50 times further away from the earth than the moon. Besides, most of the worldwide radiotelecope assets that were available at the time would heve been in use for listening to the radio transmission from the mission, rather than doing radar measurements, especially since they were on the surface at the time.

Interesting experiment.

If course, if future orbital refinements of 2009 WM1 change any of this info, I will recalculate and post what I find.

MW

Also I am not sure that any radar data was being taken; most of the assest were tied up in radio

S

Shpaget

MW, do these calculations include the Earth's gravity's effect on the orbit of the asteroid?
Anything coming that close to a planet would surely have it's orbit shifted around, affecting every consecutive pass cumulatively, right?

BTW, how are speed and distance for a body with undefined geometry measured? Is Doppler usable on these distances and relative speeds, or it's just comparison of radar images taken from time to time?

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, the calculations include all the planets (even including Pluto) as well as Ceres, Vesta, and Pallas, the 3 most massive objects in the asteroid belt. The other asteroid's gravitational influence is small enough to ignore for observations with this level of error bars.

The speed and distance (except for the rare cases wher more accurate radar measurements are taken) are based strictly on visual observations of the position of the object in the sky. Then using Newtonian gravity and Keplerian understanding of the physics of orbits, you can calculate a series of orbits that would fit those observations. Since each observation is an error circle around the observed positions, there are a lot of potential orbits. That's what leads to the high uncertainty over short observational windows like the 7 days so far for 2009 WM1.

If you can observe it for weeks or years, the number of possible orbits that can fit with those observations decreases rapidly. That's why the orbit of Apophis is known so well, it's been observed for years.

Edit: The Apophis observations include 633 optical observations, 2 radar distance measurements, and 5 doppler delay measurenets over almost 4 years from March 15, 2004 through Jan 9, 2008.

Now the largest source of uncertainty for that asteroid has to do with various thermal and radiational interactions between the sun and the surface of the asteroid, since the current orbit is known with such great precision.

When radar obs are taken, they provide far more data, since you then get doppler measurements of velocity relative to the earth, which constrains the potential orbits to a much greater degree. This has been done for Apophis, and will be done again in a few years at it's next close approach, assuming of course that we haven't shut Arecibo down by then.

MW

T

tgeairn

MeteorWayne":6agctfy4 said:
OK, I ran the numbers. The latest data would indiacte a close approach on Nov 19, 1969, while Apollo 12 was on the lunar surface....

Interesting experiment.

If course, if future orbital refinements of 2009 WM1 change any of this info, I will recalculate and post what I find.

MW

Thanks for jumping on that so fast. When I went to look at the distance numbers for the 1969 pass, I realized that we're talking about a whole 'lotta space. :)

As you said, interesting experiment!

Here's looking for more observations over the next few days.

TG

A

Astro_Robert

(Yellow Zone)
2 A discovery, which may become routine with expanded searches, of an object making a somewhat close but not highly unusual pass near the Earth. While meriting attention by astronomers, there is no cause for public attention or public concern as an actual collision is very unlikely. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0.
3 A close encounter, meriting attention by astronomers. Current calculations give a 1% or greater chance of collision capable of localized destruction. Most likely, new telescopic observations will lead to re-assignment to Level 0. Attention by public and by public officials is merited if the encounter is less than a decade away.
(Orange Zone)
5 A close encounter posing a serious, but still uncertain threat of regional devastation. Critical attention by astronomers is needed to determine conclusively whether or not a collision will occur. If the encounter is less than a decade away, governmental contingency planning may be warranted.

If 2 represents merely a close encounter of the asteroid kind, how close is required to merit a 2? If 3 represents a 1% chance of actual impact, then what is required to move an object such as this to 5?

Thanks,
Astro

M

MeteorWayne

If I did this link right, this should take you to the chart posted by Michigan Man in the 2009 KK thread this summer. As you can hopefully see, it's based on Kinetic energy of the collision and the probability.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17957&start=122

If you recall.... KE= 1/2 mass X velocity squared

A

Astro_Robert

Thanks,

If I read the chart correctly, then for a rock/pile about ~300m, a 2 implies 1:1,000 and a 5 implies 1:10

Astro

M

MeteorWayne

Well, that depends on the velocity, since the kinetic energy is far more dependant on the velocity than the size (mass)

B

bigbadbenny

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this thread. And as stated before this all very interesting! I'm the kind of observer that looks up every once in awhile. I know a few constellations by heart and that's about it. Although i live within a mile of the observatory at the College of Southern Idaho and i have looked through it a few times. My knowledge of what's up there is enough for me to discern if i see anything moving at night is that it's probably a satalite or an airplane flying at a high altitude. Although I do beleive that i've seen the Space Station when the Shuttle was docked with it. Since when they're together they can be seen with the unaided eye. But I do find this all very interesting and you can count on me throwing in my two cents when "I think I can!" lol So remember when you're writting a post that you are actually teaching someone about what you know tremendously. I'll be reading. and I hope what i just said made some sense. lol

Bigbadbenny

Very big welcome to SDC bigbadbenny.

There is a huge amount of knowledge & experience on these forums. What I would say, is that please look through the forums to see if a topic of what you are interested has already been started elsewhere & that all posts are relevant to the topic at hand.

We hope you stay & indeed learn a great deal.

Look through this particular thread to get a better understanding of the potential threat posed by a particular tiny Earth crosser asteroid 2009 WM1, that may or may not hit Earth, in all probability it will not & this thread is a great one for you to learn more about the potential threats posed by asteroids passing close to the Earth.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

bigbadbenny":36p4n14z said:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this thread. And as stated before this all very interesting! I'm the kind of observer that looks up every once in awhile. I know a few constellations by heart and that's about it. Although i live within a mile of the observatory at the College of Southern Idaho and i have looked through it a few times. My knowledge of what's up there is enough for me to discern if i see anything moving at night is that it's probably a satalite or an airplane flying at a high altitude. Although I do beleive that i've seen the Space Station when the Shuttle was docked with it. Since when they're together they can be seen with the unaided eye. But I do find this all very interesting and you can count on me throwing in my two cents when "I think I can!" lol So remember when you're writting a post that you are actually teaching someone about what you know tremendously. I'll be reading. and I hope what i just said made some sense. lol

Bigbadbenny

Welcome bigbadbenny.

Actually either the shuttle or the ISS can be seen with the undaided eye anytime when they are in sunlight and you are in darkness. In fact the ISS when overhead is one of the brightest objects in the sky, surpassed only by the sun, moon, Venus, occasional Iridium satellite flares, and the odd meteor here or there.

A

ainu7

I ran fitobs with today's new 3 observations from LPL/Spacewatch II, and it gives higher impact probability than yesterday.
This result will be essentially same to NeoDyS's result which will be updated in few hours.

For 2018 solution, nominal distance was up from 0.006AU to 0.0844AU.
Probability up from 9.05e-5(1/11000) to 1.03e-04(1/9700), PS from -1.02 to -0.96

For 2027 solution, nominal distance was down from 0.0956AU to 0.0317AU.
Probability up from 1.02e-4(1/9800) to 1.51e-04(1/6620), PS from -1.26 to -1.10

2032 : PS -2.62 to -2.83, prob down to 1/270000.

total PS will be around -0.69, and total prob will be near 1/3500. (I didn't check all VIs though)

Uncertainty region shrinked ~30% in each dimention than yesterday's, so prob was up even in 2018 case (standard deviation of place is still very large 0.147AU)

Regarding future evolution of probability, as I see ephemerides, sky plane error increases ~30% each day for next 3-4 days, and ~20% each day for next week or so, and this means uncertainty region will shrink in that speed when new observations come.

So most of impact solutions will be resolved in a week. If one or more major solutions(i.e, 2018/2023/2032) survive until 7 days pass, that solutions could be torino scale 2, with PS over 0. But from tomorrow, a single observation can make all possibilities to be ruled out, as orbit is quickly refined.

From this May, magnitude of the asteroid was brighter than 22.0, so there could be previous observations, but the object was very high in the sky for most of the time, to where search programs don't pay much attention. Only duration we could expect significant pre-observations would be May 6~Jun 19, when the asteroid was visible and near celestial equator. If they are present indeed, uncertainty region will become smaller, more than 100 times, and we will know where this asteroid goes rather accurately.

S

silylene

ainu7, thanks, your explanations and work with the newer data are very clear! It seems as if you work for one of the Skywatch projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.