Sahara???

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

claywoman

Did anyone go see it? I was wondering what you thought of it, I've been reading mixed reviews with Ebert actually liking it as an escapist movie...

S

strandedonearth

It was decent for an action movie, and it followed the book close enough, I guess. However, having read many Clive Cussler novels (who wrote the book the movie is based on) I was somewhat disappointed with the casting. Matthew McConaughey was an unexpected look for Dirk Pitt, but seemed to fit the role well as the movie went on, and William Macy as Admiral Sandecker was spot-on, but Steve Zahn was as far from what I envisioned as Al Giordino as possible. The description for Al in the books has a physique closer to Sylvester Stallone. Not saying they should have cast Sly in the role, but Al is supposed to be a short, stocky, strong-as-an-ox Italian. And the choice for Rudi Gunn (haven't found the actor's name, but recognized him from "6 Feet Under") was dorkier than I imagined. And I would have liked to have seen Hiram Yeager's computer lab. <br /><br />Of course, it doesn't follow the book too closely, but book-2-movies tend to be like that. And that's my 3 cents worth. There's a review I Googled up at www.tonawandanews.com/articles/index.cfm?artOID=296243&cp=26564 which captures my opinion fairly well.

H

hracctsold

Claywoman,<br />Haven't been able to see the movie yet, but was told by a friend that it was a good action movie. I did not know it was going to be a "Dirk Pitt" movie until I heard his name in one of the trailers. I was immediately disappointed, because it seemed like a comedy to me. But it did make the top box-office hit with $18.5 mil. <br /><br />The last poster seemed to catch the best points of the book people descriptions as well. So I will reserve my review until I see it later, when I can. Hope it is half as good at the books though. They are fun to read, and only Clive could do that sort of thing with those characters. You sought ot try out his books titled, Sea Hunters 1 &2. They are true stories of his looking for sunken wreck(?) and sites, just like his book characters. Well worth it, I think. <br /><br />P.S. I to would have liked to have gotten a look at the animate computer of Mr. Yeager. That would have been something to see.

C

claywoman

I had the chance to go see it today and took it.<br /><br />As a light, fluffy adventure flick I liked it. It had no dire, message, it was just a fun flick! There were a few things that sort of got me, and if I stretched my imagination, I guess an ironclad civil war boat could sail to Africa and end up in a sand dune...but you really have to stretch it out!!!<br /><br />I like Matthew McCanoughey as Dirk Pitt and the guy that played his side kick was cool. I even liked the nerd who was lovable...I loved the action, but then I love action films and this one had little blood and gore, I liked that also.<br /><br />I have to admit to one flaw though, I didn't care for Penelope Cruz as the 'Doctor.' It was like she was sort of sleep walking through the role....There wasn't much chemistry between her and Matthew or it didn't seem that way to me...<br /><br />Anyway, to me it was worth the price of the ticket and popcorn...it was two hours of escapism....and I like escapism....<br />

H

hracctsold

claywoman,<br /><br />Been busy with finals in school and all, but I at last did get the chance to see Sahara today. As a movie goes, that was a good one, adventure, ability to play off of each other, location, and all. It was about the same as the book, but different. The movie Dirk and Al did well playing off of each other, and I would go and see another one by them. The admiral, Sandecker, was somewhat different from my ideas of him in the book, but he played a great Adm. nonetheless. I did not think Rudy was as much of a geek as the show protrays him, but he worked well on the show.<br /><br />Separating the two reminds me of my first viewing of the Next Gen., and the org. ST series. Once I decided to set aside my ideas of the first one, the second one was able to grow on me. Like I said, it was a good adventure movie to see, and the book was good in its own right as well. Now, back to those books, hraccts.

C

claywoman

So what did you think of Penelope Cruz? Did her performance seem stilted to you? I didn't think she was the right choice but then that's me...

H

hracctsold

My wife liked her in the role, and for the movie she did not seem so bad. About her being wooden, not responsive, in her role? Is that what you mean? Maybe, but who would you have to replace her? They had to have some reason to head into the dessert, and rescue the damsel in distress, didn't they?

C

claywoman

Yes, I meant her performance. She was the only character that bugged me, it was suppose to have a lot of 'sexual' tension between the Dirk and the Doctor, and yet, I really didn't feel it...

H

hracctsold

Yes, in the point of getting close to each other, you are right. It was kind of implied there, with not much else to support it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts