Science channel today on Astronomy-95 worlds, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Just alerting you all to what is being broadcast - right now an episode entitled 95 worlds and counting - concerning various worlds in our solar system - notably concerning whether life could be on any of these worlds.<br /><br />At 8:00 AM Central Standard time, USA, an episode on The Sun.<br /><br />9:00 CST - If we had no moon, including the hypothesis of a fine tuned collision with Orphaeus.<br /><br />10:00 CST a repeat of the currently airing episode.<br /><br />600 AM CST - Discover magazine on the dissappearance of Neanderthals.<br /><br />6:30 AM, CST, Megascience on discoveries in the deepest ocean trench, the Mariana trench.<br /><br />A tidbit on the present broadcast: petrochemical rain of hydrocarbons, etc., on Titan - apparently low on Oxygen.<br /><br /><i>**disallowed personal conflict comments deleted**</i><br /><br />And assure you all, of course, that I love you all.

N

newtonian

A few notes on the latter part of the 95 worlds and counting episode, which dates from 2001:<br /><br />Is there life on Europa – current exploration in Antarctica for the limits of life at –20 F ice. Living breathing bacteria observed! As close as one can get to conditions on Europa here on Earth.<br /><br />Micro-organisms, and other extremophiles, continue to amaze scientific researchers – and me btw also.<br /><br />Ice could protect from deadly radiation on Europa, and there may be enough light just below the ice surface – as it may be quite transparent.<br /><br />A probe is planned that will go 75 feet per day and in 6 months or so, via a cryobot submarine, may reach Europa’s ocean.<br /><br />The myth the prebiotic soup as an origin to life on earth is mentioned in support of finding life on Europa – however, both the laws of chemistry and the actual geologic evidence on earth do not support this myth.<br /><br />Of course, our Creator could have created life on Europa – so for me the search for life on Europa and/or Titan or any of the 95 worlds considered on this broadcast takes on added meaning and increased interest.<br /><br />This is an exciting time for astronomy as new and increased data comes in and as scientists become increasingly willing to consider alternate models.<br /><br />Sadly, scientists often reject as out of hand any model in harmony with Biblical astronomy – unless, of course, they do not realize Biblical models such as gauzestronomy exist. [the model based on Isaiah 40:22 which indicates our universe is stretching out like a fine gauze, with its threads and filaments.]<br /><br />I hope I am not banned for mentioning Biblical models on Free Space.

E

enigma10

I'm sure such biblical models would be of interest if we actually find the universe taking on the properties of Gauze, including its pattern. Though, i must mention such an analogy does very little to define the universe in detail. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"<font color="#333399">An organism at war with itself is a doomed organism." - Carl Sagan</font></em> </div>

N

newtonian

Enigma10 - Actually, current computer models based on actual observations of our universe do show a gauze-like appearance with expanding threads and filaments.<br /><br />And the Biblical model goes further, though I hesitate to quote it. It does, for example, show that bonds between stars can either hold fast or be loosened in Job 38.<br /><br />We now know that gravitational bonds can indeed be bound or loosened.<br /><br />Would you like me to quote my Bibllically based gauzeometry (sp?) model in more detail? It does, indeed, explain the universe in considerable detail.

N

newtonian

Getting back to thread theme, concerning now the aired Discover magazine on Neanderthals. <br /><br />An interesting note:<br /><br />Neanderthal- modern man skeleton found indicating there was interbreeding – leading to a theory that Neanderthal did not disappear but are part of the modern human genome.<br /><br />“Their genes are still here” – “many of us may be part Neanderthal.”<br /><br />I sort of agree – namely I suspect many extinct races of mankind, such as Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, are all descended from the mitochondrial Eve and the Y-chromosomal Adam – and that they did interbreed before becoming extinct such that, to quote the broadcast:<br /> <br />‘their genes lie buried in the modern human genome.’ [from my imperfect memory, btw]

N

newtonian

Currently on megascience - those sulfur using extremophiles (e.g. tubeworms) found deep in the Mariana Trench!

N

newtonian

Currently on the sun. An updated more detailed page of my notes on this broadcast:<br /><br />The sun for 5 billion years, constantly changing. <br /><br />Beautiful pictures.<br /><br />The power of our sun – if we can control those forces, we could unlock the power of stars and of our sun.<br /><br />Big Bang born in an instant13 billion years ago, expanding at the speed of light.<br /><br />100 billion galaxies.<br /><br />Toward the edge of one of the spiral arms is the sun. <br /><br />Venus and Mercury are scorched. Mars, etc,. cold chill of space.<br /><br />Earth right in the middle – just right – goldilocks planet – life has flourished.<br /><br />Sun sustains every plant and animal. {“nearly all”)<br /><br />Without the sun the earth would be a lifeless ball of rock (not true – extremophiles)<br /><br />.<br /><br />Dr. Helen Mason, Cambridge University – sun always changing.<br /><br />Solar telescope – surface bubbles like ball of oatmeal, changes every second. Each bubble is a thousand miles across.<br /><br />6,000 degrees C, could vaporize rock.<br /><br />Periodic explosions on surface – huge!<br /><br />Inside the sun – probing heart of sun. <br /><br />How powerful? Hershcl figured power of sun a billion, billion, billion watts. <br /><br />How does sun produce its power. If sun was made of coal – it would burn itself out in a few thousand years – widely believed that earth was only a few thousand years old.<br /><br />Dr. David Alexander … measuring power of the sun.<br /><br />Herschell calculated power to melt ice for basic properties of sun. A billion, billion, billion watts – close to a few percent of actual energy!<br /><br />Single second of sun’s energy could suppy earth’s energy needs for a million years.<br /><br />200 years ago a coal fired sun was tenable – earth believed to be only a few thousand years old.<br /><br />Now we know better – geologic history evidence – I agree earth is at least a billion years old. [my note: More recent dates are less reliable due to the

N

newtonian

More notes on the sun, with added notes as I listen again: <br /><br />Composition of sun – spectroscopy.<br /><br />Each chemical absorbs specific wavelengths of the solar spectra – like a fingerprint.of dark lines – hence sunlight contains the unique chemical formula for our sun.<br /><br />How dark is the line, and how broad shows how much of each element.<br /><br />Thin lines by tiny amounts of elements like Iron and magnesium …<br /><br />Over 90% of the sun is hydrogen – simplest and most common element in the universe.<br /><br />Beautiful pictures of nebulae – clues to how our sun was born.<br /><br />Huge clouds of hydrogen in interstellar space – shows hubble photos lit up by intense light of newly formed stars – in these clouds we can see new stars formed.<br />By piecing together different nebula, stages of formation are determined.<br /><br />Starts with stable cold gas clouds for thousands or millions of years.<br /><br />Supernovae send out energetic compression waves – shock waves cause clumping which are seeds upon which new stars grow. Blast wave.<br /><br />During millions of years more hydrogen accreted. Runaway process.<br /><br />Temperature rises – no light yet – start to spin (why?).<br /><br />They begin to spin and send out material to become planets. <br /><br />As star grows larger it begins to spin (wrong?).<br /><br />Every atom was made from stars (wrong)<br /><br />All are made from the same starting ingredient: hydrogen to helium. Both positively charged so must be pushed together and also must be hot.<br />15 million degrees C.. E=mc^2 causes tremendous energy from mass.<br /><br />5 million tons of matter to energy every second, about half way through fuel.<br /><br />300,000 miles, 200,000 years for light to travel from core to surface<br /><br />Light travels only 3/100’s of an inch per second at core, but only 8 minutes from surface to earth.<br /><br />Hydrogen bomb.<br /><br />Controled fusion could solve energy needs of world.<br /><br /> – Britain announces Zeta

Status
Not open for further replies.