Scientists' predictions for the long-term future of the Voyager Golden Records will blow your mind

Most likely neither we nor our solar system will be anywhere around if and when one or both of the two Voyagers gets "picked-up". If any sentient complex, intelligent beings retrieve those gold records in some informational condition, the probably seems that those record(s) would end up in a museum based on the observation "no ones' home" in our part of the Universe. It's that perky speed of light limit again. However, the Voyagers are a hope and a dream as well as a credit to mankind's hubris'. With a little bit of Luck, .... just maybe?

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
We have 5 probes leaving the solar system, of those 5, 4 of their boosters are also escaping the solar system.
I like those odds that at least one thing this country has made will survive to witness the end of the universe whenever and however it will come.
That blows my mind!

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Err, pardon?

"at least one thing this country has made will survive to witness the end of the universe"

end of the Universe? Isn't that billions (literally) of years away? Are you joking?

Cat :)

No, I am not.🤩 I am talking many trillions of years! Reread the article, space is vast and mostly empty and if any of those were to get ejected into intergalactic space then they really have a shot because that truly is the big empty!

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
The average density of space is reputed to be 6 protons per cubic meter.
But, someone, somewhere is likely to notice this thing and its trajectory. Just as we noticed Ouamamua

The article makes me wonder whether such outbound objects would not statistically be directed more toward the center of the MW as it encounters thousands of massive bodies still invisible to our scopes.

Then there is the chance of encounters with damaging pulsar blasts that should hurt resale value on that gold plate. Supernovae and x-ray sources aren’t helpful, if these are survived.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Latest posts