Space rock worth thousands stirs ownership debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-na ... k.Dispute/

WASHINGTON — An out-of-this world rock has become the center of a down-to-earth dispute over who its rightful owner should be.

The tennis ball-sized meteorite plummeted through the roof of a Virginia medical office just after dusk on Jan. 18, the same time as people reported seeing a fireball in the sky. It plunged through the ceiling of an examination room and landed near the spot where a doctor had been sitting a short while earlier.

"I'm the most likely person to be sitting in that place where it hit," Dr. Marc Gallini said. "It just wasn't my time, I guess."

He and fellow practitioner Dr. Frank Ciampi say their first thought was to give the rare find to the Smithsonian Institution, which offered $5,000 for it. Within days, it was sent to the National Museum of Natural History for safekeeping.

The doctors are worried, though, that their longtime landlords plan to stake their own claim to the space rock. The collectors market for meteorites can be lucrative."

Comcast links don't last long, so I'll try and find a more permanent one...

D

dryson

Meteor Wayne- Did the report indicate what type of minerals the roids was compsoed of? Was it some new form of diamond hardened substance?

M

MeteorWayne

I haven't seen any reports of what closs of meteorite it was. That would come after it is examined by the science community, which as I understood it, is in limbo until the ownership dispute is resolved.

I'll poke around a little in meteor land and see if I can find out more. Any kind of meteorite (with the exception of some common irons) is quite valuable.

C

Couerl

Wow, a lot of hullabaloo surrounding this one and some interesting perspectives on ownership.

B

bdewoody

I think the Doctor(s) should split whatever they are paid with the owner of the building. Will his insurance cover the damage to the structure? Right now I live in rental property and if a meteorite went through my carport roof and damaged my car I think I would be willing to split the proceeds with my landlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.