SpaceX Falcon I - Flight 3 Launch Failure T+2:20

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

<p><font size="2" color="#000033"><font size="2" color="#000033">SpaceX pushes back target date for next Falcon 1 launch</font></font></p><p><font size="2">BY STEPHEN CLARK<br />SPACEFLIGHT NOW<br />Posted: June 23, 2008<br /></font></p><p><font size="2">The military informed SpaceX last week that mandatory support equipment and tracking stations in the Pacific Ocean are booked through the end of July, forcing officials to delay launch of the next Falcon 1 rocket, the company's founder said Friday. </font></p><p><font size="2">Elon Musk, the billionaire founder of Space Exploration Technologies Corp., said the U.S. Army range at Kwajalein Atoll will be busy with other activities for the next month. </font></p><p><font size="2">"Launch is no sooner than late July to early August," Musk said. "We will use the time to do additional checkouts." </font></p><p><font size="2">SpaceX was expecting to launch the Falcon 1 next week, and engineers already completed assembling the two-stage rocket and attaching the booster's payloads. </font></p><p><font size="2">Officials plan to fire the first stage's Merlin engine for a brief test in the next weeks. The firing will demonstrate the engine's readiness for launch, according to Brian Bjelde, SpaceX Falcon 1 product manager. </font></p><p><font size="2">This is the third time SpaceX will attempt to the launch the 70-foot-tall rocket. The booster's first flight in March 2006 succumbed to a fuel leak and engine fire just seconds after launch. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Falcon 1's second mission reached space in March 2007, but the rocket's second stage spun out of control due to propellant sloshing inside liquid oxygen tank. SpaceX has installed baffles on subsequent Falcon 1 rockets to prevent a similar problem from happening again. </font></p><p><font size="2">Originally slated to launch without a paying customer's satellite, this summer's Falcon 1 mission was awarded a contract with the Department of Defense's Operational Responsive Space, or ORS, office headquartered at the Pentagon and run from Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. </font></p><p><font size="2">The rocket will launch the first mission of the initiative's Jumpstart project, which intends to demonstrate the rapid construction, testing and launch of a low-cost satellite for the military. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Jumpstart mission also tests the flexibility of payload managers and launch providers by simultaneously preparing three payloads for a single launch. Engineers had to be prepared to support launching any of the spacecraft reviewed by military leaders. </font></p><p><font size="2">Military officials evaluated three spacecraft for the Jumpstart mission, eventually selecting the Trailblazer spacecraft built by SpaceDev Inc. The 220-pound satellite was constructed in less than five months, meeting schedule and budget criteria set by the ORS program office, SpaceDev said in a written statement. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Falcon 1 will also carry PreSat and NanoSail-D, two tiny satellites developed by NASA to conduct experiments in orbit, Bjelde said. </font></p><p><font size="2">PreSat will host a self-contained biology experiment, and NanoSail-D will unfurl a small solar sail to test its ability to slow the spacecraft enough to fall from orbit. </font></p><p><font size="2">Space Services Inc. will launch two small capsules containing the ashes of more than 200 people, including astronaut Gordon Cooper and Star Trek actor James Doohan. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Falcon 1 will also test a payload adapter developed by Malaysian engineers. The adapter will connect the rocket to the RazakSat 2 spacecraft from Malaysia on the Falcon 1's next launch this fall.</font> </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<p><font size="2" color="#000033"><font size="2" color="#000033">SpaceX pushes back target date for next Falcon 1 launch</font></font></p><p><font size="2">BY STEPHEN CLARK<br />SPACEFLIGHT NOW<br />Posted: June 23, 2008<br /></font></p><p><font size="2">The military informed SpaceX last week that mandatory support equipment and tracking stations in the Pacific Ocean are booked through the end of July, forcing officials to delay launch of the next Falcon 1 rocket, the company's founder said Friday. </font></p><p><font size="2">Elon Musk, the billionaire founder of Space Exploration Technologies Corp., said the U.S. Army range at Kwajalein Atoll will be busy with other activities for the next month. </font></p><p><font size="2">"Launch is no sooner than late July to early August," Musk said. "We will use the time to do additional checkouts." </font></p><p><font size="2">SpaceX was expecting to launch the Falcon 1 next week, and engineers already completed assembling the two-stage rocket and attaching the booster's payloads. </font></p><p><font size="2">Officials plan to fire the first stage's Merlin engine for a brief test in the next weeks. The firing will demonstrate the engine's readiness for launch, according to Brian Bjelde, SpaceX Falcon 1 product manager. </font></p><p><font size="2">This is the third time SpaceX will attempt to the launch the 70-foot-tall rocket. The booster's first flight in March 2006 succumbed to a fuel leak and engine fire just seconds after launch. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Falcon 1's second mission reached space in March 2007, but the rocket's second stage spun out of control due to propellant sloshing inside liquid oxygen tank. SpaceX has installed baffles on subsequent Falcon 1 rockets to prevent a similar problem from happening again. </font></p><p><font size="2">Originally slated to launch without a paying customer's satellite, this summer's Falcon 1 mission was awarded a contract with the Department of Defense's Operational Responsive Space, or ORS, office headquartered at the Pentagon and run from Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. </font></p><p><font size="2">The rocket will launch the first mission of the initiative's Jumpstart project, which intends to demonstrate the rapid construction, testing and launch of a low-cost satellite for the military. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Jumpstart mission also tests the flexibility of payload managers and launch providers by simultaneously preparing three payloads for a single launch. Engineers had to be prepared to support launching any of the spacecraft reviewed by military leaders. </font></p><p><font size="2">Military officials evaluated three spacecraft for the Jumpstart mission, eventually selecting the Trailblazer spacecraft built by SpaceDev Inc. The 220-pound satellite was constructed in less than five months, meeting schedule and budget criteria set by the ORS program office, SpaceDev said in a written statement. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Falcon 1 will also carry PreSat and NanoSail-D, two tiny satellites developed by NASA to conduct experiments in orbit, Bjelde said. </font></p><p><font size="2">PreSat will host a self-contained biology experiment, and NanoSail-D will unfurl a small solar sail to test its ability to slow the spacecraft enough to fall from orbit. </font></p><p><font size="2">Space Services Inc. will launch two small capsules containing the ashes of more than 200 people, including astronaut Gordon Cooper and Star Trek actor James Doohan. </font></p><p><font size="2">The Falcon 1 will also test a payload adapter developed by Malaysian engineers. The adapter will connect the rocket to the RazakSat 2 spacecraft from Malaysia on the Falcon 1's next launch this fall.</font> </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

W

windnwar

<p>This is going to be one busy flight!. Pity we have to wait another month to see it fly though. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

W

windnwar

<p>This is going to be one busy flight!. Pity we have to wait another month to see it fly though. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is going to be one busy flight!. Pity we have to wait another month to see it fly though. <br />Posted by windnwar</DIV><br /><br />At least it wasn't their fault; they lost the range.</p><p>Extra testing is never a bad thing....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is going to be one busy flight!. Pity we have to wait another month to see it fly though. <br />Posted by windnwar</DIV><br /><br />At least it wasn't their fault; they lost the range.</p><p>Extra testing is never a bad thing....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

W

windnwar

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>At least it wasn't their fault; they lost the range.Extra testing is never a bad thing.... <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />This is true! They were on schedule, just happens that the DOD wasn't. I'm just getting antsy to see the thing launch! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

W

windnwar

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>At least it wasn't their fault; they lost the range.Extra testing is never a bad thing.... <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />This is true! They were on schedule, just happens that the DOD wasn't. I'm just getting antsy to see the thing launch! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

A

aaron38

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>SpaceX was expecting to launch the Falcon 1 next week, and engineers already completed assembling the two-stage rocket and attaching the booster's payloads.</DIV></p><p>If the rocket is already assembled, is it in a hanger, or out on the launch pad?&nbsp; I don't like the thought of it sitting out there in a salty environment, susceptible to corrosion.</p>

A

aaron38

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>SpaceX was expecting to launch the Falcon 1 next week, and engineers already completed assembling the two-stage rocket and attaching the booster's payloads.</DIV></p><p>If the rocket is already assembled, is it in a hanger, or out on the launch pad?&nbsp; I don't like the thought of it sitting out there in a salty environment, susceptible to corrosion.</p>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If the rocket is already assembled, is it in a hanger, or out on the launch pad?&nbsp; I don't like the thought of it sitting out there in a salty environment, susceptible to corrosion. <br /> Posted by aaron38</DIV></p><p>I think they have an assembly building on the island.&nbsp; so they roll it out when they are nearing launch.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>BTW I just noticed that FAA website shows July for this launch&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

H

holmec

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If the rocket is already assembled, is it in a hanger, or out on the launch pad?&nbsp; I don't like the thought of it sitting out there in a salty environment, susceptible to corrosion. <br /> Posted by aaron38</DIV></p><p>I think they have an assembly building on the island.&nbsp; so they roll it out when they are nearing launch.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>BTW I just noticed that FAA website shows July for this launch&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

W

windnwar

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think they have an assembly building on the island.&nbsp; so they roll it out when they are nearing launch.&nbsp;BTW I just noticed that FAA website shows July for this launch&nbsp; <br />Posted by holmec</DIV><br /><br />Spacex's website shows they completed a successful test firing of it on the pad yesterday and that they are now analyzing the data. So far, so good! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

W

windnwar

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think they have an assembly building on the island.&nbsp; so they roll it out when they are nearing launch.&nbsp;BTW I just noticed that FAA website shows July for this launch&nbsp; <br />Posted by holmec</DIV><br /><br />Spacex's website shows they completed a successful test firing of it on the pad yesterday and that they are now analyzing the data. So far, so good! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

S

Swampcat

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Spacex's website shows they completed a successful test firing of it on the pad yesterday and that they are now analyzing the data. So far, so good! <br />Posted by windnwar</DIV><br /><br />Here' a link to the SpaceX <strong><font color="#339966">update</font></strong> for those who wish to read it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Spacex's website shows they completed a successful test firing of it on the pad yesterday and that they are now analyzing the data. So far, so good! <br />Posted by windnwar</DIV><br /><br />Here' a link to the SpaceX <strong><font color="#339966">update</font></strong> for those who wish to read it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

C

Crossover_Maniac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The main reason for the high cost is the fact that such launches have absolutely NO room for failure.&nbsp; That kind of quality assurance control will always be somewhat expensive.&nbsp; Of course, such companies as Boeing and LM&nbsp;also HAVE to make profits as they have to answer to literally millions of stockholders.&nbsp; You can NOT have launch failures without cutting into profits. Again, if admitting this is being a naysayer, then I guess I and those with true experience in the industry are guilty as charged.&nbsp; Sorry, (and I don&rsquo;t take it personally) if that upsets some people, but it IS the truth!! &nbsp; &nbsp; <br /> Posted by frodo1008</DIV><br /></p><p>I happen to be one of those cheerleaders looking towards a future to cheap access to space.&nbsp; I am also trying to get into the aerospace field as an engineer, though I haven't found anyone willing to hire me.&nbsp; Now, the biggest problem to reducing the high cost of space travel is that the margin of error for a space launch is very small and that everything has to be designed to run with no problems and checked on multiple levels for errors which runs the cost up incredibly high?&nbsp; Am I right?&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Feel the Hope-nosis </div>

C

Crossover_Maniac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The main reason for the high cost is the fact that such launches have absolutely NO room for failure.&nbsp; That kind of quality assurance control will always be somewhat expensive.&nbsp; Of course, such companies as Boeing and LM&nbsp;also HAVE to make profits as they have to answer to literally millions of stockholders.&nbsp; You can NOT have launch failures without cutting into profits. Again, if admitting this is being a naysayer, then I guess I and those with true experience in the industry are guilty as charged.&nbsp; Sorry, (and I don&rsquo;t take it personally) if that upsets some people, but it IS the truth!! &nbsp; &nbsp; <br /> Posted by frodo1008</DIV><br /></p><p>I happen to be one of those cheerleaders looking towards a future to cheap access to space.&nbsp; I am also trying to get into the aerospace field as an engineer, though I haven't found anyone willing to hire me.&nbsp; Now, the biggest problem to reducing the high cost of space travel is that the margin of error for a space launch is very small and that everything has to be designed to run with no problems and checked on multiple levels for errors which runs the cost up incredibly high?&nbsp; Am I right?&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Feel the Hope-nosis </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Hmmm, Space.com is reporting a different story about the delay...</p><p>&nbsp;</p><table border="0"><tbody><tr><td width="355" align="left" valign="top"><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="3" color="#1b4872"><strong>Minute Defect Delays SpaceX's Falcon 1 Launch Again </strong><br /><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1" color="#333333"><strong>By Brian Berger </strong><br />Space News Staff Writer<br /></font></font><font face="arial,helvetica" size="1" color="#330066">posted: 27 June 2008<br />6:10 pm ET</font><br />

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Hmmm, Space.com is reporting a different story about the delay...</p><p>&nbsp;</p><table border="0"><tbody><tr><td width="355" align="left" valign="top"><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="3" color="#1b4872"><strong>Minute Defect Delays SpaceX's Falcon 1 Launch Again </strong><br /><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1" color="#333333"><strong>By Brian Berger </strong><br />Space News Staff Writer<br /></font></font><font face="arial,helvetica" size="1" color="#330066">posted: 27 June 2008<br />6:10 pm ET</font><br />

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;That same info is on the SpaceFlightNow.com launch schedule, however SpaceX news release yesterday backs off on that date to say "June or July" <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>They are about to run out of the 2008 variety of June.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;That same info is on the SpaceFlightNow.com launch schedule, however SpaceX news release yesterday backs off on that date to say "June or July" <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>They are about to run out of the 2008 variety of June.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>They are about to run out of the 2008 variety of June. <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yse, the launch has slipped to late July or August.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>They are about to run out of the 2008 variety of June. <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yse, the launch has slipped to late July or August.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

frodo1008

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Yse, the launch has slipped to late July or August. <br /> Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>I would think that even the more cheerleader types on these boards could put up with the delays (although future commercial customers of spacex may not be so kind about delays).&nbsp; This is a very important launch to spacex.&nbsp; While I don't think another failure is going to sink them, it is going to make things very difficult.</p><p>This is in particular as ULA has now announced that they have at least six unused Delta II rocket available for the same medium launch area as the future Falcon 9.&nbsp; Evidently as the Air Force will no longer need the Delta II for GPS launches ULA is going to be able to considerably reduce the price of a lunch with that already very reliable vehicle. &nbsp;</p><p>This has got to be somewhat bad news for the other possible future launch vehicles as they have not yet established such a good reliability record.&nbsp; Evidently from what I am reading the Delta II is somewhat expensive exactly because of governmental requirements.&nbsp; I really wonder exactly how low a price ULA is willing to go to capture most of the medium lift market?&nbsp; </p><p>I see where spacex is at least getting more realistic with their predictions of the costs of Falcon 9 launches.&nbsp; Now it would seem a Falcon 9 Heavy launch with about 10,000 lbs to LEO will cost in the $50 to $60 million dollar range. </p><p>As I now believe that ULA is also hitting for this price range the medium lift market is going to get more and more interesting.&nbsp; Of course there are also all the other countries also involved in this race also.</p><p>Some $5,000 per pound to LEO seems to be the current goal ($50 million per 10,000 lbs) and this is just a start, but it is still only about 50% of what was the going price only a decade or so ago!</p><p>As I said, it is going to get interesting!&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>"&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts