SpaceX Launch Update

Page 10 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barrykirk

Just logged on after getting back from work....<br /><br />What a bummer...<br /><br />I'm sure that they will find out what went wrong and fix. This was only strike one and Elon said he had finances for 3 strikes.

S

shyningnight

This IS a bummer...but to be honest, I kinda expected it...<br />Nothing against Elon and his crew! When you're building something you've never built before, there are ALWAYS problems.<br /><br />Build it, fly it, break it, find out why it broke, fix the next one, fly it again.<br /><br />AND.. the bright side is that they just learned a whole lot about all the parts that worked FLAWLESSLY.... right up until the part that didn't took over.<br /><br />I hope they get the next one on the pad as soon as possible, and it works flawlessly!<br /><br />Paul F.<br />

J

jschaef5

Could the blanket have caused a large enough change in the aerodynamics to push it off the trajectory and thus having RSO abort? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nolirogari

The onboard video shows what looks to me like a hard-over. Opinions?

J

jschaef5

Anyone else notice that it starts to roll in 1 direction (opposite the way the side thrust flames go) then after a few more seconds it starts to roll the other way as the flame starts correcting the initial roll. Its almost like that flame we see is countering an inital roll. I could be wrong though because it gets all fuzzy and hard to see the roll direction. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

F

frodo1008

Good post nolirogari! NASA and its experienced contractors are the insurance policy here! And we all know that even they fail on occasion! <br /><br />This IS a very, very difficult business to break into, and we aren't even talking about manned launches! It was some time ago (in the 1990's I think) that several very experienced, and some inexperienced rocket launch companies were going to put up a whole new series of smaller launch vehicles for all those hundreds of small satellites in LEO, that eventually didn't get launched. One of the experienced outfits was no less then LM itself! I remember that there was nothing but failure, after failure, after failure! <br /><br />It doesn't even seem that the vast amount of knowledge already available in this field even helps. This type of thing should at the very least develop a truly vast sense of humility in the fact of the problems involved in just overcoming simple physics.<br /><br />This may even be very good for Elon Musk in particular. It is good to have confidence. Investors sure as hell aren't going to put up money to someone that states (however truthfully) "Well, we kind of expect to blow up our first five rockets!" <br /><br />The only problem here is all these pronouncements of Saturn V sized and larger rockets! Now, spacex and Elon Musk can hopefully really get down and concentrate on the job at hand! These things WILL work themselves out and eventually become successful, THEN, they can go on to larger things!<br /><br />I certainly hope so anyway.....<br /><br />

R

rogers_buck

Lockheed Martin announced today a successful test firing of its airborne anti-missile system. Reportedly, an unknown target was destroyed during its initial boost phase over the Pacific. "The test didn't go quite as planned, the target missile was launched a little earlier than was planned, about a week actually. A bit odd come to think of it..." said company spokesperson.<br />

J

josh_simonson

Or in other news:<br />"A mysterious explosion occurred at microsoft headquarters this afternoon, sending microsoft stock plummeting. Microsoft was unavailable for comment, but Elon Musk, who had a massive short position in MSFT, was quoted as saying he'd now secured funding for the BFR..."

H

hk8900

I can think of some possible reasons for this failure<br />1. insulation blanket fell off, damaged the engine<br />2. repeated hold-down fires damaged the engine<br />3. unexpected strong wind (not joking, CZ-3 failed in 1996 because of this)<br />4. problems with the structure of the rocket which had not been discovered<br /><br />Building and launching a rocket successfully is neither easy nor simple, All countries which have rockets suffered failures, the USA, USSR/Russia, China, Japan, India.........<br />So, the only right thing is learn from experience and do it again

B

barrykirk

Weren't James Duhan's ashes on board also?<br /><br />Sad that Scotty wasn't able to "fix it in combat"....<br /><br />Oh well, just random musings.

R

robotical

I was in Chicago for most of yesterday and missed the attempted launch. I was dissappointed to learn of the failure, but the only thing they can do is try again. Considering that the United State's first attempt at launching something into space resulted in what was probably the most embarrassing loss of spacecraft in its space exploration history, SpaceX should definately not be dettered. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mlorrey

"A United Space Alliance monkey wrench was found near the launch site..."

R

rocketman5000

too bad they couldn't have tried 2nd stage seperation for practice.

M

mlorrey

I wondered why they didn't have longer engine tests and just replace the nozzle before launch. How much work is it to do that?

G

gunsandrockets

"On high resolution imagery, the fire is clearly visible within seconds after liftoff. Once the pneumatic pressure decayed below a critical value, the spring return safety function of the pre-valves forced them closed, shutting down the main engine at T+29s. "<br /><br />Well how about that. Here we see demonstrated one huge advantage that current rocket companies have over the pioneers of the past. The amazing microelectronic revolution which creates the cheap cameras used for such an instant remote diagnosis.<br /><br />Setbacks in developing the Falcon rockets are expected. But I have confidence that Musk has enough capital to see through those setbacks.<br /><br />Go SpaceX!

F

frodo1008

I don't exactly know why people that otherwise are good honest supporters for these newer start-up companies have to take cheap shots at the established companies!<br /><br />He also might not realize that there is at least one person here that works for United Space Alliance, and even one retired ex Boeing employee!<br /><br />So such cheap shots are NOT appreciated!<br /><br />I hate to tell mlorrey this, but Boeing isn't exactly shaking in its boots over any of this. Their stock is close to its all time high.

M

mikejz

Personally, I wonder if the testing program that SpaceX is using is approprate for its business. It seems that going back to testing the first stage once or twice might be a better option for them due to the lack of any proven hardware.

M

mikejz

From: http://kwajrockets.blogspot.com/<br /><br />"The team is on Omelek collecting debris. <br /><br />The rocket impacted on a dead reef about 250 ft away from the launch pad, so most of it is recoverable for analysis. <br /><br />Amazingly, the satellite was thrown high into the air when the rocket impacted and came crashing down through the roof of our machine shop, landing mostly intact on the floor! One helluva' return trip. <br /><br />The hole in the machine shop roof is the only significant damage to the island."<br /><br />Image of fire: http://www.spacex.com/Falconenginecloseup.jpg

B

barrykirk

Well, I wish them the best of luck on the next attempt. Is that one at Vandenburg?<br /><br />And what is the payload?<br /><br />Will this have any impact on the launch schedule of any Falcon V or IX?

B

barrykirk

Oops, sorry....<br /><br />I re-read my post and didn't realize I had used that word.... My bad...

G

gofer

Putting oneself into (admittedly large) shoes of Mr. Musk and the team at SpaceX, how would one proceed now? Modifying the test procedure, more incremental testing, waiting for the next Merlin (regenerative nozzle), or just go on as before?

J

jschaef5

I wonder if they have any video from a ways back. Would be cool to see how it actually went.<br /><br />And is the airforce planning to make another satellite to replace the one that didn't quite make it to orbit? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jschaef5

It seemed like they had a lot of remote controlled cameras set up around though. They might have all been too close to the launch pad to have gotten any footage of it past T+25. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS