SpaceX Updates

Page 15 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

Maybe I'm just mistaking it for the flame. The nozzle on the Kestrel starts to glow in a vacuum (as shown in the in flight video) so maybe it's just as bright as the exhaust flame in this pic.

S

shuttle_guy

Boris_Badenov":26kv1afo said:
docm":26kv1afo said:
F9 second stage firing....
I can't tell from that pic if they've got that monster second stage nozzle on it. Do you know if there's any word on if they had it mounted for this test?

They would not use the big (flight) nozzle for a ground static test. The flight nozzle is big because it expands the exhaust to a pressure close to the ambient pressure. The ambient pressure when the second stage engine is used in flight is is very close to being a vacuum. If that nozzle is used at near sea level shock waves would form in the nozzle exit and the nozzle would quickly burn through. The flight type upper stage engine must be tested in a vacuum chamber. As an example; the Shuttle Orbiter main engine, the SSME, is optimized for a exit pressure equal to about 60,000 ft. so that the engine can be used at sea level and in space. In the case of the SSME, for a long burn at sea level pressure the nozzle expansion ratio is 44 to 1 while the flight nozzle expansion ratio is 77 to 1.

S

shuttle_guy

Boris_Badenov":38ha59lf said:
Maybe I'm just mistaking it for the flame. The nozzle on the Kestrel starts to glow in a vacuum (as shown in the in flight video) so maybe it's just as bright as the exhaust flame in this pic.

The exhaust would be much brighter than the glow of the nozzle. That would cause the nozzle glow to be hidden...it would not show up in the picture. The nozzle glow can be seen in the flight video because the exhaust is invisible. When the engine is fired on the ground the exhaust reacts with the atmosphere which causes the exhaust to be visible.

H

halman

If the Falcon 9 flight has any problems, any idea on how long of a turnaround we would be looking at? These guys seem to be really taking their time with this rocket, which is great if it works right, but flight testing with a launch every few years is not going to cut it. How many rockets do they have in the pipeline right now? If they are proposing to launch early next year, than they should have at least rockets in assembly, I would think. Unless there is a major systems failure, minor modifications can be made on the assembly line.

B

Boris_Badenov

halman":2ujaibbb said:
If the Falcon 9 flight has any problems, any idea on how long of a turnaround we would be looking at?
They "appear" to have 3 ready or very close to ready. They have said they want to launch 3 this year & maybe as many as 5. Even the wild eyed SpaceX fan boys, like me :cool: , doubt they'll do more than the Maiden Flight & one or two COTS Demo Flights.
If the CCDev is handed out in 2010 then more money might be available in 2011 for Demo's for crewed flights & consequently more rockets coming off their assembly line.

S

SpacexULA

halman":2fn320zj said:
If the Falcon 9 flight has any problems, any idea on how long of a turnaround we would be looking at? These guys seem to be really taking their time with this rocket, which is great if it works right, but flight testing with a launch every few years is not going to cut it. How many rockets do they have in the pipeline right now? If they are proposing to launch early next year, than they should have at least rockets in assembly, I would think. Unless there is a major systems failure, minor modifications can be made on the assembly line.

We have seen 3 1st stages, 2 second stages, and only the flight engines.

We have also seen 2 flight pressure vessles for Dragon.

As far as the delay, it depends on the nature of the delay. Flight 1 & 2 failures of Falcon 1 required all hardware already built to be rebuilt. Flight 3 failure was just a software issue, no hardware change.

If SpaceX is lucky they will have no hardware issues, and can go into serial production of Falcon 9, if there are hardware issues, don't expect to see serial production in 2010.

B

Boris_Badenov

I just spotted this over on NASASpaceFlight;
SpaceX readies rocket for launch
Space Exploration Technologies Corp. plans a February or March test flight of its first 180-foot-tall, nine-engine Falcon 9 rocket, which could play a major role in the U.S. space program by delivering supplies to the International Space Station.
The first stage was shipped to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and now sits in a building by the Space Florida hangar on Launch Complex 40. The second stage remains in Texas for testing and will arrive shortly at the Cape.

S

shuttle_guy

Boris_Badenov":2r4z99i0 said:
I just spotted this over on NASASpaceFlight;
SpaceX readies rocket for launch
Space Exploration Technologies Corp. plans a February or March test flight of its first 180-foot-tall, nine-engine Falcon 9 rocket, which could play a major role in the U.S. space program by delivering supplies to the International Space Station.
The first stage was shipped to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and now sits in a building by the Space Florida hangar on Launch Complex 40. The second stage remains in Texas for testing and will arrive shortly at the Cape.

Great news, thanks

B

Boris_Badenov

I much prefer to see this kind of an estimate at this stage rather than a firm date. It tells me they are becoming more realistic in their operations schedule & development plan.
"Depending on how well full vehicle integration goes, launch should occur one to three months later."

M

MeteorWayne

Just to pull out a quote:

"On January 2, 2010, the team completed a full duration orbit insertion firing (329 seconds) of the integrated Falcon 9 second stage. At full power, the Merlin Vacuum engine generates 411,000 N (92,500 lbs force) of thrust, and operates with the highest performance ever for an American-made hydrocarbon rocket engine. "

T

tanstaafl76

I don't think most people realize how important this flight is going to be.

D

docm

Agreed, and all the more reason to ignore the boo-birds who rant on about schedule slips while NASA's schedule looks like a dart board.

As long as its a relatively clean flight as maiden ones go it would take a lot of the wind out of the nay-sayers sails and be one helluva lead-in to the COTS flights. It also makes it much easier for the administration to move for funding the LAS etc.

Also very interesting is that they're actually going to attempt a 1st stage recovery. Again, if it works, or even comes close, it's something to deflate the critics sails.

T

tanstaafl76

Well, and more than just showing that SpaceX is the real deal, a successful flight is likely to impact the future of NASA as we know it. Once viable, affordable, successful private sector launch capability is well established, it will be very hard for NASA to justify developing new hydrocarbon rockets.

In the statement on their website they went out of their way to discuss NASA's importance in exploring the frontier regions of space. To me that says they intend to aggressively pursue a broader relationship with NASA to take over as a large of a market share of their orbital launch needs as they can.

B

Boris_Badenov

tanstaafl76":20awrvt1 said:
I don't think most people realize how important this flight is going to be.
There's no question about that. Beyond our small community, there are so few that are even aware of this happening or how it can change the course of our civilisation.

B

Boris_Badenov

mr_mark":2d77pef8 said:
A quick Google search only comes up with the Flickr page you referenced & this Spaceflight now page.
missionsidebar.gif

M

mr_mark

Prediction: The president will not make a decision on the future of Ares until after the Spacex Falcon 9 flight. I think that the success of this flight will in large part determine the future of america's space program.

B

Boris_Badenov

SpaceX Aims To Debut Falcon 9 Before May
01/8/10 05:30 PM ET
The maiden launch of the Falcon 9 rocket could still take place this winter, according to Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Chief Executive Elon Musk, who posted details of the medium-lift rocket’s recent second-stage test firing and updated launch schedule to the Hawthorne, Calif.-based company’s Web site Jan. 4.
“This was the final stage firing required for launch, so the second stage will soon be packaged for shipment and should arrive at Cape Canaveral by end of month,” Musk stated on the Web site. “Depending on how well full vehicle integration goes, launch should occur one to three months later.”

M

mr_mark

SpaceX and Spacecom Sign Contract for Falcon 9 Geosynchronous Transfer Mission

Hawthorne, CA – January 27, 2010 – Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and Space Communication Ltd. (Spacecom) of Ramat-Gan Israel, operator of the AMOS satellite fleet, have signed an agreement for launch of a communication satellite aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 as early as December 2012. Falcon 9 will insert the satellite into a geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO), adding to Spacecom's existing satellite fleet. Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. (IAI) is also involved in the transaction.

Spacecom provides broadcasting and communications services to DBS and DTH operators, as well as a wide range of broadcasters, ISPs, telecommunications operators, government organizations and network integrators with Internet, voice, data and digital TV services. This latest deal supports company plans to launch at least four additional satellites in the coming years to multiple orbital positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.