SpaceX Updates

Page 16 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Not that I'm aware of. The credits are for Justin Ray at SpaceFlightNow.com, and I tried variants of his name at their site to send email about them but no go - they all bounced.

M

mr_mark

Spacex is truly a company of the present and future. We really need to get behind this company and Virgin Galactic. When I look at both of their designs and the speed at which they are moving on new flight vehicles I must say that I am impressed. I also must say that I am not a fan of NASA present. In the past they were an agency with an agenda, but to be honest, that agenda is long gone for the most part. It has become a government works program of the worst kind, stifling innovation at every corner in order to keep the status quo. When I see Spacex with their new vehicle ready and on the pad for systems checks in a few more weeks, I have to wonder what happened to the Ares program. Does anyone ask why so long? Why so much money? They should because, the way they are doing things is just not working. Nasa should be doing payloads only and let private companies make the lift vehicles of the future. As for Spacex, they seem to be doing just fine.

N

nimbus

I'm sending E Musk an email to tell him his rocket is just beautiful.

D

docm

It'll be even more beautiful sitting on the pad in Florida sunshine, and even more so streaking up on a pillar of fire.

B

bushwhacker

Have we gotten any new estimate on a launch date for Falcon nine and dragon?

M

mr_mark

Not sure if Spacex will recieve funding for crew development. Does not say so in new Nasa budget.

E

EarthlingX

mr_mark":1gtmrwz6 said:
Not sure if Spacex will receive funding for crew development. Does not say so in new Nasa budget.
There will be a competition among possible commercial providers:
http://www.nasa.gov/news/media/newsaudio/index.html

NASA's website budget links
From
Statement by Charlie Bolden
I am pleased to announce that NASA will award approximately $50M to
further the commercial sector’s capability to support transport of crew to and
from low Earth orbit. Through an open competition, NASA has awarded Space Act
Agreements to:
Blue Origin of Kent, Washington;
The Boeing Company of Houston, Texas;
Paragon Space Development Corporation of Tucson, Arizona;
Sierra Nevada Corporation of Louisville, Colorado; and
United Launch Alliance of Centennial, Colorado, for the development of
crew concepts, technology demonstrations, and investigations for future
commercial support of human spaceflight. We will be discussing these awards in
more detail, and introducing you to the space pioneers behind them tomorrow at
our event at the National Press Club.

I think, their old contract is still good:
Commercial Orbital Transportation Services

D

docm

Sierra Nevada + ULA = maybe a Dream Chaser study?

SN did buy SpaceDev after all....

B

Boris_Badenov

I got a great big Email update;

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Emily Shanklin | Director, Marketing and Communications
media@SpaceX.com

SPACEX COMPLETES DRAGON SPACECRAFT CARGO LOADING MILESTONE IN PREPARATION FOR DELIVERY SERVICES TO INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawthorne, CA (February 3, 2010) – Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) recently conducted a three-day long demonstration of cargo loading and unloading procedures for its Dragon spacecraft, which NASA has contracted to provide delivery services to the International Space Station (ISS) starting in 2010.

SpaceX hosted a group of NASA personnel at its corporate headquarters in Hawthorne, CA, including astronauts Marsha Ivins and Megan McArthur, and other key personnel from NASA‘s Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The tests covered a range of procedures using actual NASA cargo modules, in a variety of standard sizes, including powered cargo modules that provide temperature control for sensitive items such as medical and biological samples during their journey to the ISS, and return to Earth. Dragon is currently one of the only spacecraft in the world capable of transmitting status on environment-sensitive cargo back to Earth during transit to the ISS.

SpaceX performed the tests in an actual flight Dragon spacecraft outfitted with cargo racks, stowage lockers, as well as interior lighting, telemetry and environmental systems, as will be employed while Dragon is berthed at the ISS.

"SpaceX was honored to host the NASA crew, and pleased by their positive feedback and remarks," said John Couluris, SpaceX Director of Mission Operations. "We look forward to the day when the first of many Dragons arrive at the ISS delivering actual cargo in support of continued ISS operations."

Under NASA's Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program, SpaceX will perform three flights of the Dragon spacecraft to demonstrate delivery of cargo to the ISS as well as returning cargo to Earth. Following those flights, SpaceX will begin the NASA Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract, conducting a minimum of 12 cargo flights between 2010 and 2015 with a guaranteed minimum of 20,000 kg to be carried to the ISS.

SpaceX's Falcon 9 is a medium-to-heavy lift, two-stage launch vehicle capable of lifting approximately 11 tons to low Earth orbit (LEO) and in excess of 4.5 tons to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO). Designed to the highest levels of reliability and performance, SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Dragon spacecraft were selected by NASA to resupply the ISS when the Space Shuttle retires.

About SpaceX

SpaceX is developing a family of launch vehicles and spacecraft intended to increase the reliability and reduce the cost of both manned and unmanned space transportation, ultimately by a factor of ten. With the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 vehicles, SpaceX offers highly reliable/cost-efficient launch capabilities for spacecraft insertion into any orbital altitude and inclination. Starting in 2010, SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft will provide Earth-to-LEO transport of pressurized and unpressurized cargo, including resupply to the International Space Station (ISS).

Founded in 2002, SpaceX is a private company owned by management and employees, with minority investments from Founders Fund and Draper Fisher Jurvetson. The SpaceX team now numbers nearly 900, with corporate headquarters in Hawthorne, California. For more information, please visit the company's web site at www.spacex.com.

B

Boris_Badenov

Milestone20_CargoLoading1_600x415.jpg

Milestone20_CargoLoading2_399x600.jpg

D

docm

Full resolution images for those wishing to glean info ;)

BTW: these images aren't the one at the cape now but a full flight Dragon, presumably one slated for an early COTS flight. This test supposedly met milestone #20.

Pic 1.....

Pic 2.....

M

mr_mark

I believe the load in is being done with the COTS C flight 1 Dragon Capsule. These racks and storage units may be actual flight harware for the first COTS demonstration flight! Very exciting times at Spacex.

D

docm

More on the cargo loading test....

http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20100203

SpaceX Completes Dragon Spacecraft Cargo Loading Milestone in Preparation for Delivery Services to International Space Station

Hawthorne, CA – February 3, 2010 – Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) recently conducted a three-day long demonstration of cargo loading and unloading procedures for its Dragon spacecraft, which NASA has contracted to provide delivery services to the International Space Station (ISS) starting in 2010.

SpaceX hosted a group of NASA personnel at its corporate headquarters in Hawthorne, CA, including astronauts Marsha Ivins and Megan McArthur, and other key personnel from NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The tests covered a range of procedures using actual NASA cargo modules, in a variety of standard sizes, including powered cargo modules that provide temperature control for sensitive items such medical and biological samples during their journey to the ISS, and return to Earth. Dragon is currently one of the only spacecraft in the world capable of transmitting status on environment-sensitive cargo back to Earth during transit to the ISS.

SpaceX performed the tests in an actual flight Dragon spacecraft outfitted with cargo racks, stowage lockers, as well as interior lighting, telemetry and environmental systems, as will be employed while Dragon is berthed at the ISS.

“SpaceX was honored to host the NASA crew, and pleased by their positive feedback and remarks,” said John Couluris, SpaceX Director of Mission Operations. “We look forward to the day when the first of many Dragons arrive at the ISS delivering actual cargo in support of continued ISS operations.”

Under NASA's Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program, SpaceX will perform three flights of the Dragon spacecraft to demonstrate delivery of cargo to the ISS as well as returning cargo to Earth. Following those flights, SpaceX will begin the NASA Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract, conducting a minimum of 12 cargo flights between 2010 and 2015 with a guaranteed minimum of 20,000 kg to be carried to the ISS.

SpaceX's Falcon 9 is a medium-to-heavy lift, two-stage launch vehicle capable of lifting approximately 11 tons to low Earth orbit (LEO) and in excess of 4.5 tons to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO). Designed to the highest levels of reliability and performance, SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Dragon spacecraft were selected by NASA to resupply the ISS when the Space Shuttle retires.

D

docm

Falcon 9 Heavy changes have cropped up...

Launch Site: Cape Canaveral AFS
Inclination: 28.5 degree
Mass to Low Earth Orbit (LEO): 32,000 kg/(70,548 lbs) (it was 29,610 kg/65,280 lb)
Mass to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO): 19,500 kg/42,990 lbs (it was 15,010 kg/33,090 lb)

+ 8% to LEO

+ 29.9% to GTO

% disparity has me wondering if that GTO number is for Raptor.

M

mr_mark

ATTN # Urgent update....from the Spacex twitter line... Fully integrated Falcon 9 to make launch pad debut for system checks this week!

N

nimbus

docm":2r90d1z7 said:
Falcon 9 Heavy changes have cropped up...

Launch Site: Cape Canaveral AFS
Inclination: 28.5 degree
Mass to Low Earth Orbit (LEO): 32,000 kg/(70,548 lbs) (it was 29,610 kg/65,280 lb)
Mass to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO): 19,500 kg/42,990 lbs (it was 15,010 kg/33,090 lb)

+ 8% to LEO

+ 29.9% to GTO

% disparity has me wondering if that GTO number is for Raptor.
It's out of the question that this is from swapping engines to RS-84, right?

D

docm

The RS-84 tech is apparently being used to develop the Merlin 2 - an F1 class engine @ 1.5 million lb-ft.

Dunno if the F9 tanks structural margins could handle a 50% increase in thrust focused on a single engine mount instead of distributed across 9 of them. Probably need to go bigger/stronger. Now cluster a few of 'em.

Talk about a candidate for a future HLV competition.

B

Boris_Badenov

From my email.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Emily Shanklin | Director, Marketing and Communications
media@SpaceX.com

SPACEX ANNOUNCES FINAL ARRIVAL OF FALCON 9 FLIGHT HARDWARE AT CAPE CANAVERAL IN PREPARATION FOR INAUGURAL LAUNCH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawthorne, CA (February 11, 2010) – Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) announces that all flight hardware for the debut launch of the Falcon 9 vehicle has arrived at the SpaceX launch site, Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40), in Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Final delivery included the Falcon 9 second stage, which recently completed testing at SpaceX's test facility in McGregor, Texas. SpaceX has now initiated full vehicle integration of the 47 meter (154 feet) tall, 3.6 meter (12 feet) diameter rocket, which will include a Dragon spacecraft qualification unit.

"We expect to launch in one to three months after completing full vehicle integration," said Brian Mosdell, Director of Florida Launch Operations for SpaceX. "Our primary objective is a successful first launch and we are taking whatever time necessary to work through the data to our satisfaction before moving forward."

Following full vehicle integration, SpaceX will conduct a static firing to demonstrate flight readiness and confirm operation of ground control systems in preparation for actual launch.

Though designed from the beginning to transport crew, SpaceX's Falcon 9 launch vehicle and Dragon spacecraft will initially be used to transport cargo. Falcon 9 and Dragon were selected by NASA to resupply the International Space Station (ISS) once Shuttle retires. The $1.6B contract represents 12 flights for a minimum of 20 tons to and from the ISS with the first demonstration flights beginning in 2010.

About SpaceX

SpaceX is developing a family of launch vehicles and spacecraft intended to increase the reliability and reduce the cost of both manned and unmanned space transportation, ultimately by a factor of ten. With the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 vehicles, SpaceX offers highly reliable/cost-efficient launch capabilities for spacecraft insertion into any orbital altitude and inclination. Starting in 2010, SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft will provide Earth-to-LEO transport of pressurized and unpressurized cargo, including resupply to the International Space Station (ISS).

Founded in 2002, SpaceX is a private company owned by management and employees, with minority investments from Founders Fund and Draper Fisher Jurvetson. The SpaceX team now numbers nearly 900, with corporate headquarters in Hawthorne, California. For more information, please visit the company's web site at http://www.spacex.com.

20100129_Falcon_9_in_Cape_hangar_640.jpg

20100210_F9_integration_DSC_0273_640.jpg

V

vattas

When I look at such pictures, I get the feeling, that it's serious stuff. Not just rich guys playing expensive games.

M

menellom

vattas":25japp4h said:
When I look at such pictures, I get the feeling, that it's serious stuff. Not just rich guys playing expensive games.

I think you're about where I was about a week ago (christ can you believe it hasn't even been two weeks since the proposal came out?) when the proposal was first announced. At first all I could think was "what? this is insane? trust spaceflight to a bunch of billionaires with napkin drawings"... then I calmed down and started researching and what I found surprised me - these guys are serious and they're much further along than I gave them credit for. Maybe this idea of turning LEO over to the private industry has merit after all.

That's excellent news to hear about the increased LEO capacity for the Falcon 9 Heavy, it was already looking to carry at least 5000kg more than Ares I, this new projection is just icing on the cake.

N

neutrino78x

So, I've got a question, assuming Obama's current plan (as of 14 February 2010) is implemented by Congress, when would the first humans fly on a SpaceX rocket? Or any of the other USA commercial LEO rockets?

--Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts