SpaceX's private control of satellite internet concerns military leaders: report

At this point, Musk seems to be denying use of StarLink to hit targets inside Russia, apparently fearing that that would cross Putin too much and threaten a direct war with NATO, or at least Russia targeting StarLink satellites for destruction.

It is not clear to me that the U.S. government would do anything differently if it had direct control. It might even do less for Ukraine if it was fully under government control. Just like Russia has been using the Wagner Group for government purposes while claiming to not have direct responsibility, the U.S. government can help Ukraine's military resist Russia by paying for StarLink services inside Ukraine, while not directly targeting Russian assets with U.S. military assets.

But, there is always reason to fear that something you need is under the control of somebody else who might put other interests ahead of your interests. So, I can see why Russia, China, Europe, and some others would want to have similar satellite capabilities directly under their own control.

The real issues are going to be how many satellite swarms can we handle orbiting the same Earth, and whether some military will decide to destroy one of those swarms for military purposes in some future conflict, which, by presently available methods, would make for a very dangerous orbital environment for astronauts and even automated satellites due to the debris that would result.

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I have two solution: if it worries you, don't buy starlink. Better yet, invest in a competing product so it isn't a one option market. Using government strong arm tactics is lazy, reminiscent of the ant and the grasshopper. Grasshopper wishes he had what the ant worked hard to create. In a just world the grasshopper has to pay the ant, and is at the ants mercy. In our world... I guess we will see.

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I've got a solution. How about not using a service that was designed for primarily for business and residential use? If they so desperately need the service go have the government use their own satellites.

I doubt it really is the "military leaders" complaining and it is more likely companies such as highesnet and viasat putting out more hit pieces. Heard the last viasat launch was fubar. They can't compete so they are trying everything they can to shut starlink down.

I don't think it is just commercial competitors who are worried. Taiwan is very dependent on the U.S. for its freedom from China, and is rightly worried that U.S. policy seems to vary substantially as elections change the U.S. administrators of our policies. And, U.S. commercial entities can change policies even faster. Musk sometimes appears to be a "loose cannon" in setting policies for things like Twitter/"X", for instance. What if Musk takes offense with something said by some Taiwanese official?

One solution is to be able to use any commercial system available for the intended purpose, rather than become dependent on the specifics on only one. In other words, use the competition that is already developing in the low earth satellite internet market, if you can't create your own swarm of such satellites.