STS-121: Launch target May, 2006 - Griffin

Page 8 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baktothemoon

"I always stream launches on NASA tv which isn't too bad of quality"<br /><br />I've tried streaming a couple of times but sometimes it gets really frustrating. Sometimes the connection lags slightly so that the audio and visual are seperated, the picture freezes entirely but the audio keeps going, and sometimes I hardly get anything at all. That's the drawback of streaming, if you have a slow connection or many people are trying to watch then it doesn't work. I would still like the major networks to air the launches. <br /><br />"Hopefully I'll see one in person one of these times...."<br /><br />I saw one while I was in Florida a few years ago, it was great. <br /><br />"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy <br /><br />

A

askold

More worrisome "glitches"?<br /><br />Of more pressing concern, engineers have discovered a potential electrical issue, this one involving the ascent thrust vector control - ATVC - system used to move the shuttle's main engine nozzles during launch. During ground tests, sources said, an ATVC control box suffered a malfunction. <br /><br />...<br /><br />In other developments, two of Discovery's cockpit windows have been replaced because they were not tested properly and engineers are now discussing whether to replace two others.<br /><br />....<br /><br />At the same time, engineers studying the results of a new analytical technique for assessing the structural "loads" on the external tank have been surprised by results suggesting brackets near the base of the tank might not have the expected safety margin.<br /><br /><br />Is the launch date in jeopardy?

B

baktothemoon

Are some of these malfunctions due to the shuttles simply getting old or are they just random glitches?<br /><br />"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy

A

askold

The wiring problems seem to be age-related: "This may be the result of a change in the way Honeywell built the boxes in question or, more worrisome, an age-related or stress-related phenomenon, officials say."<br /><br />The other problems seem to be risk-aversion related. As time goes on, even the smallest risk is considered a show-stopper.

B

bpcooper

I hate being the one to have to pick on it, but could you all please source your quotes when pasting them from other sites :)<br /><br />Thank you. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

J

jschaef5

Do you know yet what the launch window for August looks like? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bpcooper

Relax SG I am not trying to be rude. <br /><br />I do however find it odd that an internal document would have word for word the same quotes as Harwood. <br /><br />Why would an internal document say "sources told us..."? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

S

Swampcat

Were you perhaps suggesting that askold cite his quotations? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

B

bpcooper

I was asking in general and not to anyone in particular :) Thanks though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"No problemo:"</font><br /><br />Muy bueno. Gracias. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

J

jschaef5

Haven't heard much lately about how progress on the shuttle is doing... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

llivinglarge

How's Endeavour's overhaul coming along? How much work is left?<br /><br />I really hope that Endeavour's upgrades don't go to waste... <br /><br />Keep her around after 2009 as an emergency flight-worthy vehicle until the CEV is ready.<br /><br />Does NASA have the resources to save at least one shuttle from being scrapped?

L

lbiderman

Does NASA have the resources to save at least one shuttle from being scrapped?
<br />Quick answer? NO!!! They need every penny for the CEV and the VSE. And probably, having a shuttle flight-worthy won't save too much money: it will probably need about the same money as having all of them.

R

rocketwatcher2001

News,<br />There is talk about where at least one Orbiter will be put into deep preservation. I'm not alone in thinking that we may need some of the the unique capabilites of the Orbiter again. GSE too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

llivinglarge

What is the most efficient way to dispose of a shuttle? Gut it and sell the parts?

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">It appears that we will be doing a ET tanking test</font>/i><br /><br />Won't this increase the risk of foam coming off during launch?</i>

B

blacknebula

I can't imagine the costs of launching a shuttle after it has been in deep storage after retirement. I certainly hope NASA isn't considering it. For the military, the story may be different depending on their need, but I seriously doubt the bean-counters would allow such.

S

strandedonearth

"I can't imagine the costs of launching a shuttle after it has been in deep storage after retirement. "<br /><br />Well, I can't imagine it would be cheap, but I can imagine it would cost less than building a new one when they find they have a need for one.

J

jschaef5

What exactly is the test? Are they just going to load it up with the chilled LOX and see what the cold temps do to the foam and make sure it doesn't crack off or what?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

josh_simonson

>Well, I can't imagine it would be cheap, but I can imagine it would cost less than building a new one when they find they have a need for one. <br /><br />There won't be a need for one though, the shuttle's only unique feature is it's ability to bring a large unpressurized cargo back to earth. That'd be some sort of satelite or space vehicle, but any satelite or space vehicle that'd fit inside the shuttle could simply be rebuilt for less than it'd cost to return the shuttle to flight.<br /><br />Your main argument would probably be something like a hubble servicing mission - but hubble only cost about 1.5 billion, only a little more than a shuttle launch. If - conservatively - it costs twice as much to take a shuttle out of mothball and launch it, you'd be paying 2B to fix a 1.5B thing. Might as well build a new one and launch it on a $200M EELV, or as a secondary payload on the HLV.<br /><br />Without the shuttle holding them down, NASA will leave the LEO world. Future spacecraft that may need servicing will probably be beyond the shuttle's reach anyway. It couldn't reach JWST for instance.

A

askold

Speaking of tests:<br /><br />"In one series of tests, unmodified foam insulation used to prevent ice buildups around external fittings suffered only minor damage while a redesigned "ice/frost ramp" suffered major foam loss."<br /><br />Does the new design create more problems than the old design? If we get even more foam loss on the next launch does that mean that the foam problem is unsolvable?

L

llivinglarge

No... It simply means that NASA's paranoia over safety is counterproductive and potentially lethal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts