STS-126 (STS-400) Processing/launch

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p>The NASA Launch Blog is up and running here:</p><p>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/launch_blog.html</p><p>I don't know if you will need to refresh or if it updates automatically.</p><p>In the past, manual refreshes were required. When I see how it works today, I will&nbsp;add an&nbsp;edit in this post</p><p>EDIT: It appears you must refresh the page to get the latest entry in the blog.</p><p>2:50 p.m. - With the launch team working no technical issues, all eyes are watching the weather. Meteorologists are tracking an approaching cold front that appears to be on pace to arrive Saturday. The forecast calls for a 70 percent chance that Endeavour will face acceptable conditions at launch time. Currently, there are only wisps of white clouds at the launch site. <br /><br />2:45 p.m. - The gigantic external tank attached to space shuttle Endeavour was loaded with 500,000 gallons of liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen this morning beginning at about 11 a.m. It took about 2&frac12; hours to fill the tank with the propellants that fuel the shuttle&rsquo;s three main engines during the 8&frac12;-minute climb into space. <br /><br />A team of controllers in Firing Room 4 watched their monitors as the hydrogen and oxygen flowed into the tank. The fueling is performed by remote control, with the launch team commanding valves to open so the chemicals can run from storage tanks at Launch Complex 39A. <br /><br />Pipes carry the oxygen and hydrogen to the mobile launcher platform holding Endeavour, its boosters and tank. The propellants run through a network of lines on the platform and into Endeavour&rsquo;s aft compartment and then into the tank itself. <br /><br />The flow reverses during launch, when all the stored propellants are siphoned quickly back into Endeavour to feed the main engines. <br /><br />The controllers will continue to examine the readouts from sensors inside the shuttle and tank throughout the countdown to make sure the fuel levels remain full. The oxygen is kept at minus-297 degrees and the hydrogen is minus-423 degrees &ndash; both cold enough to liquefy into a slush. Some of the gases warm up just enough to evaporate out, however, so a trickle of oxygen and hydrogen keep flowing to the tank to replace the evaporating gas. <br /><br />2:40 p.m. - The countdown is in a built-in hold at T-3 hours, but everything remains on schedule for a 7:55 p.m. liftoff. The countdown will resume at 4 p.m. and the astronauts will leave the Astronaut Crew Quarters a few minutes later to make their way to the launch pad. </p><p>Edit from SDC:</p><p class="MsoNormal"><strong><span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial">Engineers Inspect Space Shuttle Tank for Ice <br />14 November 2008 3:10 p.m. EST </span></strong></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial">CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. &ndash; An inspection team is out at NASA&rsquo;s Pad 39A here at the Kennedy Space Center to hunt for any signs of ice build up on the shuttle Endeavour&rsquo;s propellant-filled external tank as they prepare for tonight&rsquo;s launch attempt.</span></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

The launch countdown on nasatv seems alot more detailed compared to normal.&nbsp;Many interviews/pics/videos being shown <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>3:20 p.m. - The weather outlook is improving and Launch Director Mike Leinbach sees little chance for interference with tonight's launch attempt. The countdown remains on schedule for a 7:55 p.m. liftoff.</p><p>For those that want to look at the latest weather please refer to my weather post on page 5 of this thread.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

I notice the inspection team are all together looking at a specific area on the ET, taking pictures aswell. Not sure how normal that is? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

thor06

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The launch countdown on nasatv seems alot more detailed compared to normal.&nbsp;Many interviews/pics/videos being shown <br /> Posted by bobble_bob</DIV></p><p>&nbsp; &nbsp; Indeed, the coverage seems to get better each time.&nbsp; Kudos to NASA PAO/NASA TV. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> <font color="#0000ff">                           www.watchnasatv.com</font></p><p>                          ONE PERCENT FOR NASA! </p> </div>

R

rocketwatcher2001

<p>I guess the ECO sensor problems have been fixed.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

Thank goodness. I get tense every time they mention those sensors, positive news or no. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobble_bob

How do the crew manage to sit in them seats for over 3 hours before launch. They look so unconfortable <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How do the crew manage to sit in them seats for over 3 hours before launch. They look so unconfortable <br />Posted by bobble_bob</DIV><br /><br />I imagine knowing you are going to take one of the greatest rides ever experienced by mankind makes it easier :)</p><p>EDIT: Less than 3 hours to launch...</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

R

rybanis

I always thought ones arms would get tired! The CMDR/Pilot have to reach up to controls, and everyone else needs to hold their checklists up above their heads to read. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rocketwatcher2001

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I always thought ones arms would get tired! The CMDR/Pilot have to reach up to controls, and everyone else needs to hold their checklists up above their heads to read. <br />Posted by rybanis</DIV></p><p>I bet the first few times they sat in the simulator they were extremely tired, but I'm sure they've trained so much that they are used to it by now......well, more used to it.&nbsp; The fact that they are doing it now "for real" must give them a little extra excitment.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

<p>Good point.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I probably wouldn't notice if I was about to go into space. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>To go back to an issue asked about much earlier in the thread.</p><p>Time to 12,000 feet is ~33 seconds, to 20,000 feet ( current projected broken cirrus level) is ~ 42 or 43 seconds.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#3366ff">I guess the ECO sensor problems have been fixed. <br /></font><strong>Posted by rocketwatcher2001</strong></DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I think they started soldering the connectors on those sensors, which has cleaned up the problem.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>About 2 1/2 hours before launch to my eyes the only weather concern (very small at that) would be a few very small showers well offshore traveling parallel to the coast. They seem to be small and will likely dissapate after sunset, so should not be a problem. They can be seen on the Melbourne close up loop I referenced on page 5 of this thread. Other than that, clouds look fine from a launch criteria POV, no shoawers approaching from the west, so it looks good.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p>Hello All!</p><p>Reporting in from work today, so won't get to see the launch on the telly until I get home.&nbsp; I've just fired up NASA TV on the web and am getting false colour vision.&nbsp; Anyone else having this problem?</p><p>To SG, you'll already well and truly be on console but will wish you my customary 'good hunting' for a successful and safe launch today.&nbsp;&nbsp;The superstition is alive and well!</p><p>Godspeed Endeavour and the STS-126 crew!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hello All!Reporting in from work today, so won't get to see the launch on the telly until I get home.&nbsp; I've just fired up NASA TV on the web and am getting false colour vision.&nbsp; Anyone else having this problem?To SG, you'll already well and truly be on console but will wish you my customary 'good hunting' for a successful and safe launch today.&nbsp;&nbsp;The superstition is alive and well!Godspeed Endeavour and the STS-126 crew!&nbsp;SK&nbsp; <br />Posted by SpaceKiwi</DIV><br /><br />My online NASA TV colour :) looks fine at the moment.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>And BTW, the sky over the pad looks very good as well. Only a few cirrus patches at this time.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

The realplayer feed has soon annoying background noise. Not sure what it is. I normally use the Media Player stream but reaplayer is good to have a little window open while doing other things <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p>Colour is fine here mate. </p><p>Here's a list of NAsaTV feeds for ya to try SK</p><p><span>http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html</span></p> <p><span>or:</span></p> <p><span>150k</span><br /><span>http://playlist.yahoo.c</span><span>om/makeplaylist.dll?id=1369080</span></p> <p><span>300k</span><br /><span>http://playlist.yahoo.c</span><span>om/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368162</span></p> <p><span>500k</span><br /><span>http://playlist.yahoo.c</span><span>om/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368570</span></p> <p><span>1200k</span><br /><span>http://playlist.yahoo.</span><span>com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368163</span></p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#3366ff">My online NASA TV colour :) looks fine at the moment.<br /></font><strong>Posted by MeteorWayne</strong></DIV></p><p>Thanks Wayne, must be on my end then.&nbsp; Troubleshooting time.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>SK</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks Wayne, must be on my end then.&nbsp; Troubleshooting time.&nbsp;SK <br />Posted by SpaceKiwi</DIV><br /><br />Are you a PAL country? (Not that that should make a difference online) or are you NTSC? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

The commentary reminds me of a pre-match sporting commentary :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

We're PAL down here (thankfully). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>We're PAL down here (thankfully). <br />Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV><br /><br />Yes and no. Every system has it's pluses and minuses. I found the 50Hz/25 Hz PAL rate quite distracting in my TV work. And the PAL color system has it's own unique artifacts just as NTSC has its own. But we are drifting waaaaaay too far off topic here, so lets concentrate on the launch, which is less than 2 hours away!!!! Woo Hoo! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">We're PAL down here (thankfully). <br /> Posted by earth_bound_misfit</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>We're PAL up here too in old Blighty!!!!!!!!!.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>I'm watching on NASA TV & yes it's looks good. Sunset approx 30 minutes ago at Canaveral. Can tell with that, Canaveral's tropical location, its already pretty dark so soon after sunset. From here now (UK), were getting the longer twilights, although the sun is setting quite early, it takes a while for it to get properly dark. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>White Room, in process of closing up the hatch. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Less than two hours to launch.<br /></strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.