STS-93 eventful launch Transcript - fill in the gaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shuttle_rtf

Obviously with Mrs Collins commanding STS-114 - we looked back at STS-93 (Collins in Command) as a point of interest, given that launch was a whole load of fun and games....and we're going to do a story on it.<br /><br />However, there's some things we can't pick out - or have misrepresented.<br /><br />Any help on any of the missing parts:<br /><br />Comm = Commentary<br />Collins = Lt. Col Eileen Collins (now a Col)<br />Unknown = Either Houston or Pilot<br />Houston = JSC<br />(missing) = Can't work out/hear<br /><br />Comm: Zero. We have booster ignition and lift-off of Columbia, reaching new heights for women and X-ray astronomy.<br /><br />Collins: This is Columbia, we're in the roll, we've got a fuel cell (missing) level one.<br /><br />Houston: Roger roll Columbia, we're looking at.<br /><br />Houston: Columbia, Houston, We'd like AC flight sensors off, we're evaluating the fuel cell.<br /><br />Unknown: (missing) is given. <br /><br />Pilot & H: Roger that Columbia. Looks like we had a transient on AC-1<br /><br />Comm: Columbia had now heading down-range altitude of 3.8 mile and as we hear, all systems errr ok - throttling down at 67 per cent.<br /><br />Houston: Columbia, Houston. We are critical with AC-2 on the centre engine, AC-3 on the right. We've lost ECU A on the centre and ECU B on the right.<br /><br />Unknown: Copy that.<br /><br />Houston: And Columbia, Houston, you are go with throttle up.<br /><br />Collins: Columbia, go with throttle up.<br /><br />Comm: All 3 engines are back at full throttle. Columbia is now 8 mile down range, altitude 14 mile.<br /><br />Comm: Flight control team monitoring the electrical systems on board - again all three seem to be healthy, as are the hydraulic systems. We're approaching 1 minute 50 seconds into the flight. Standing by for burn out separation of the solid rocket boosters on the Orbiter. Columbia now has burned more than 2 million lbs of fuel (he said fuel!!) and weighs half of what she did at launch.<br /><br />Comm: SRB sepa

S

SpaceKiwi

I'll take a listen to it for you, SRTF, if you can point me in the right direction to the audio? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

I'm a thinkin' that STS 1 was a whole lot more dangerous than anyone ever suspected or acknowledged. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

drwayne

That somehow reminds me of Grissom. By all accounts, he knew that the Apollo 1 CM had major problems - but tried to get through them.<br /><br />Its not just "bravery" - its a mental discipline to focus on what it takes to do the mission. Ask those guys about it, and they will probably tell you its nothing special, you do what you have to do.<br /><br />Looks mighty special to me though.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts