STS ET dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pmn1

Obviously the final volume was dependent on the amount of fuel needed but why did the designers choose the diameter they did, what was to stop a taller thinner ET or a shorter fatter ET? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Aerodynamics and stability was probably the major consideration. A taller ET was actually part of shuttle studies in the early 1970s and I think a shorter one as well. I'm sure about the taller one but I'd have to get the info from one of my reference books.<br /><br />Other factors such as keeping the ET sized to fit on a barge also played a role. The ET is transported by Barge to KSC from Bay St Loius Michoud facility where its manufactured. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

M

mdodson

Minor point: The ET facility is in east New Orleans, LA. The building is big enough for tanks with a larger diameter, but you might have to make structural changes to handle the weight if the tank got longer.

N

nyarlathotep

I don't know if there is any major structure (gantry cranes, etc) in the way, but if there wasn't, cutting new doors wouldn't be a big deal. The problem would have been the heritage listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.