Suborbital bill revived, obstacles remain

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wvbraun

The never-ending story of HR. 3752 will come to an end within a few days. If that democrat comes to his senses in time the bill still has a chance.<br /><br />MSNBC-article

W

wvbraun

Update from Alan Boyle:<br /><br /><i>Legislation aimed at putting the regulation of suborbital space travel on firmer footing came up for a vote in the House today, but the initial effort didn't go well for its backers.<br /><br />The Republican leadership tried to push the bill through by suspending the chamber's rules through a voice vote, but <b>Rep. Jim Oberstar, D-Minn. — who voiced firm opposition to the bill on safety grounds</b> — called for a yea-and-nay breakdown and noted that a quorum was not present. That stymied the GOP's procedural maneuver, and further action was postponed until Saturday.<br /><br />The bill's sponsor, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., argued during the 40-minute debate that new legislation was needed to resolve the Federal Aviation Administration's role in regulating piloted suborbital space launches, and that the FAA would be able to step in if a spacecraft was found to be unsafe for the crew or passengers. Oberstar, on the other hand, believes that the bill is too lax in that regard, and that the FAA would have to stand by until someone is killed or gravely injured.<br /><br />Rohrabacher said failure to act could drive the infant suborbital space travel industry out of the country. "Don't strangle this industry and drive these entrepreneurs offshore," he pleaded.<br /><br />H.R. 5382 would require a two-thirds vote to move through the House — and even then, it would still have to be taken up in the Senate, where any opposition would kill it most sincerely dead. If it does fizzle out, the next significant announcement just might have to do with Virginia-based Space Adventures' plans to set up a suborbital spaceport in Australia.</i><br /><br /><br />This guy (Oberstar) is sabotaging the work of hundreds of people who worked for months to come up with this bill and his obstruction is an insult to every thinking individual: "I know what's good for you and what's not, you don't. The government always knows better, people can't decide for themselv

Status
Not open for further replies.