tempel 1 crater

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slidelock

As a new member I have been wondering when NASA will release photos of the impact crater. Or did I miss the release? I suspect there may be some embarassment at the relatively small size of the crater, calling into question the dirty snow ball theory of comets.<br />

V

vogon13

Outgassing and debris obscured view of crater. Size can be inferred from analysis of ejecta plume.<br /><br />Keep in mind the fresh ices exposed at the bottom of the crater, and the fact the comet nucleus is at its closest approach to the sun in this time frame, therefore, the outgassing really shouldn't be too big of a surprise.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

S

slidelock

Oh okay, I didn't realize the mother ship didn't have that capability. Does anybody else have those pix? Possibly one of the earth observatories. Much of my curiosity is piqued by <br />Dr. Tom Van Flandern @http://www.metaresearch.org/home.asp. He can be counted on for an interesting viewpoint. Your mileage may vary.

V

vogon13

Even Hubble cannot resolve the entire nucleus let alone a small crater on it. Sorry.<br /><br />Wonder if anyone had thought of launching Deep Impact on a resonant orbit with comet? Like comet goes around sun twice and DI goes around sun three times and then they are back together again. <br /><br />Mariner 10 did something similar with Mercury back in the seventies.<br /><br />Nice to have a follow up mission to clear up loose ends.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

J

john_316

so what will deep impact shed on early life????<br /><br /><br />i expect just more ice, dirt and minerals that formed the planets long ago but nothing new that wont profound us... and if they find something new to profound us then wow...<br /><br />but i do have a question or two regarding comets?<br /><br /><br />what dont they get smaller as they continiously burn off material as they circle the sun?<br /><br />and<br /><br />whats the largest comet we have observed to date?<br /><br /><br />

V

vogon13

Comets do get smaller. In fact, many have been seen to totally evaporate in passing close to the sun. Some comets also breakup into more comets. Ikeya Seki is believed to be a fragment of a larger body.<br /><br />IIRC, Kohoutek was believed to have a very large nucleus as it was visible quite far from the sun as it approached the inner solar system. A large nucleus would reflect more light and allow the equipment of the seventies to observe it very far out.<br /><br />Still turned out to be a relative dud (visually) though.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

S

slidelock

John, may I suggest the van flandern website regarding tempel1 and the eph model of the solar system? His comment if literally correct about being unable to get anyone to bet on theories visavis snowball or eph is particularly telling. I would love to get some enlightened debate on this.

S

slidelock

This is more of what I was talking about. I am surprised this site hasn't had more of exactly this kind of comment. I am surprised it hasn't.<br /><br />Wednesday, July 13, 2005<br />Deep Impact ... Deepening Contradictions<br />Well, it's been over a full week now -- more than seven days -- since NASA's Deep Impact Spacecraft slammed into Comet Tempel 1--<br /><br />And apparently kicked up a major firestorm ... on Earth.<br /><br />"Something's" definitely been happening, since the highly-publicized culmination of "Deep Impact" the other night, but NOT in public. Something that's potentially far more revealing than "just another successful NASA mission":<br /><br />A behind-the-scenes-eruption -- currently taking place in Washington and in Pasadena -- over precisely what Deep Impact actually ran into the other night ....<br /><br />How do we know that such "an intense backroom debate and controversey" is occurring inside NASA?<br /><br />One major clue has been the simple fact that -- unlike ALL previous NASA deep space missions the Space Agency has EVER conducted, over the last 40 or so years (of which I've been a witness to the majority, first-hand ...) -- "Deep Impact," following its Hollywood-like climax, has produced a stunning ... deafening ... totally anomalous--<br /><br />SILENCE.<br /><br />I mean -- no new images ... no spectra (!) ... no excited Mission scientists publicly going on and on about all the "marvelous new data" ... at the obligatory NASA press conferences ... where they could be questioned by equally excited members of the press. And -- most curiously--<br /><br />No one seems to want to talk about where the Spacecraft, still in excellent condition, could be sent to next!<br /><br />Such an "extended Deep Impact mission" was actively talked about pre-impact," as this story by Keith Cowing on SpaceRef.com confirms:<br /><br /><br /> "Over the past year or so, NASA has considered plans for an extended mission for Deep Impact to another comet after its baseline m

V

vogon13

IIRC, extended mission to Comet Boethin (however its spelled) is all but approved. Cost is ~30 million.<br /><br />We get an earth flyby too! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts