The Day the Earth Stood Still #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

I just watched this new movie and I have mixed feelings about the new telling. It seems to have ended before it was finished. I was left at the end asking "Is that all?". Did I miss something?

D

drwayne

I think the theme is "Man is screwing uo the planet and should be eliminated"

Wayne

B

blankman

Terrible movie, paid a $1 at the REDBOX , still came up short.

D

drwayne

I guess I got hung by my own standards on this movie. I tend to ask a remake of a classic movie to
bring something new to the table - to not just be the classic redone with better production and
modern actors. They certainly gave this remake a new perspective. It just didn't work very well.

And it ended with a thud.

All of course IMHO.

Wayne

C

cookie_thief

A friend and I rented this movie a short while back. We both thought the movie was okay. We're not sure why everyone hated it, as it was the same condescending, judgemental movie as the last one, only this time, instead of spanking us for being aggressive and immature, they upbraided us for crapping on our planet.

D

dragon04

I paid $4.99 the other night to watch this turd on Comcast On Demand. I fell asleep watching it. When you rent a movie On Demand, you have 24 hours to watch it as many times as you like.

I didn't watch it.

D

drwayne

As I mumbled earlier, I suspect that movie-goers are not as ready to go see an older
movie that was "made better" - so producers feel they have to (or just want to) give it
a new angle to make it "fresher and more relevant to today"

Then again, I am just an old coot with a raging sinus infection....

Wayne

G

girly_gurl

I saw it and was disappointed. Now I must admit that I've never seen the first one so I had nothing to compare it to but I still found it disappointing. I thought the worst bit was that the giant metal alien thingy looked like he walked out of a 50's movie. Couldn't they at least have made him look modern or something? :lol:

M

MeteorWayne

You really should see the original. I'll post next time it runs on cable TV.

Then again, you'll probably think it looks cheesy as well :)

G

girly_gurl

Thanks maybe I'll find it online somewhere. We don't have the same cable over here. :)

The old version it allowed to look cheesy. I was expecting a little more from the new version though :D

M

MeteorWayne

Aha, where are you?

In any case, you might be able to find a DVD to rent, though maybe not....1950's sci fi movies probably don't have a huge ausience :)

G

girly_gurl

At the moment I'm in Ireland but I'll be in Germany as of next month :)

It is hard to find those movies on tv nowadays. I did manage to catch the other version of War of the Worlds. Even though it was a pretty modern version it was hideous. One of the worst movies ever.

M

MeteorWayne

LOL, yeah most of The War Of The Worlds remakes have been awful.

Have you ever read the original HG Wells book? It's very good and worth spending a day reading. In my previous job, I had the opportunity to go for training to Woking, on the outskirts of London in England, whch was not only where the original Martians landed, but also the home of HG Wells. He's kind of a hero there.

One thing you can find online if you look as well, is the War of The Worlds radio broadcast that panicked large parts of the US back in the 1930's. I also have a local connection to that, since in that version, the first Martians landed in Browns Mills, New Jersey, a 10 minute drive from my home :)

G

girly_gurl

I haven't read the book but will think about getting it. He wrote the time machine didn't he. I quite liked the new version of that movie. I just love the idea of time travel. Wouldn't it be wonderful?
I've been to NJ, a place called Vineland. It was a small little town down the South. Long Story :)

M

MeteorWayne

That's "South Jersey" :) They talk different from us :lol:

I live up north, near this facility:

http://www.njaa.org/

If you ever get back on this side of the pond, be happy to give you a tour (and that goes for ANYONE from SDC that ever comes to New Jersey)

G

girly_gurl

Hey thanks so much, nice site and would definitely love a tour.

I lived in North New Jersey too for a few weeks in a place called Bergenfield. I thought the people in NJ were lovely. Really friendly and welcoming. I then stayed in Brooklyn for a while. It was like a whole other planet.

;)

S

spoochie

I'm so glad that I'm not the only want who think this movie is chap. When I expressed my feelings to my movie buddy, and he said, "You Just Don't Get It!!!" I'm going to show him this thread!

J

JonClarke

The first movie's message was "Nuclear wars are bad, shape up or die".

The second movie's message was "Environmental mis-management is bad, shape up or die".

Both statements are true, both messages are pertinent. Unfortunately, where the first film left the implementation of the lesson to the imagination of the watcher, and thus was a moral and intellectual challenge, the second film introduces a deux ex machina where all technology ceases to work.

This is unsatisfying morally, intellectually, and artistically. Morally, because it places the blame on technology rather than human greed, intellectually because the "answer" is supplied externally rather than something the watcher has to think through, and creatively because it is simplistic.

It is also morally and intellectually wrong, morally because technology is morally neutral, it is human choices which are good or bad, and intellectually, because the level of technology that is "bad" is not specified. Does humanity have to go back to the trees for example? Or simply to a pre industrial technology? Or to something in between - the neolithic perhaps?

This film is yet another example of the creative vacuousness of much contemporary cinema.

Jon

D

daveschaub

I think what has really killed sci-fi as a genre is the idea that you MUST make sci-fi movies action oriented.

Oh! the future! let’s use lots of special effects and action scenes!

Yes, they can be fun movies, but it gets really tiring when pretty much every sci-fi movie tries to be ‘fun’…

If they had just done a strait remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, it actually would have been pretty unusual for today and probably would have been interesting. I mean, when is the last time you had any video sci-fi plot where aliens just wanted to contain the threat (to everyone else) of humanity rather then conquer them because they are evil.

D

dragon04

I wasted $4.99 watching this rag On Demand. I fell asleep about 2/3 of the way through it. When you have Comcast Cable On Demand, you get the rental for 24 hours. In case you fall asleep 2/3 of the way through a movie or something.

Let's just say that I still don't know how the movie ends.

B

bdewoody

I just watched the original 1951 movie, what a difference. This classic movie is so much better than the remake this thread is about. With minimal FX the movie conveyed the seriousness of the message earth was being delivered. They ought to be forced to change the name of the "remake".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts