The Exploding Theory Hypothesis. Let's get improbable...

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vonster

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><br />We know that solar systems form by coalescing from tiny dust particles and lots of gases and other elements. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br /><br />Rather, "prevailing theories assert". We dont know much of anything for sure, as this is the only solar system weve been able to examine up close till now.<br /><br />And we're barely even getting to know this one. We're still discovering new planets, and theyre not even that far beyond the well known ones.<br /><br />People have deep seated needs to follow the herd, science is no exception, for a lot of complex psychological reasons (and financial ones as well) its easier to scoff at whats "out of the norm" than it is to seriously entertain a new way of looking at things.<br /><br />But nature is consistantly suprising, if not making complete fools out of the smug. We're really not that far along toward understanding things, and we keep making the same mistake of thinking so over and over .. as my examples ('if man were meant to fly' ... etc) illustrate.<br /><br />Its a kind of narcisstic arrogance of the species, for sure. Nothing personal, but it is<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>The solar system is built up from the small, into the large, the sun, planets, and minor planets as well as comets.<br /><br />It doesn't start out with bunches of large bodies, but the infinitesmals whihc create lots of larger bodies.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Why is it one or the other? This is a sweeping statement that not only a) mistakes a theory as 'common knowledge fact' it also <br /><br />b) totally ignores the possibility of catastrophic graviational effects of large bodies (known and unknown) , collisions of all sorts, and (yes) the possibility of instability in the geological makeup of some planets.<br /><br />We arent even positive of whats at the core of our own planet, and its right beneath our feet. <br /><br /><blo></blo>

V

vonster

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>ONe is amused conatstly by the low level of scientific training and critical thinking being posted here. It's so psychologically pathological it's a real cameo of the present day American educational deficiencies. Which are not present in Eurasia, and which earns us their scorn and derision<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br /><br />actually, i rarely bring this up or think of it much, but a while back I was the only one out of a sophmore class of probably 500+ students that managed a perfect 100% on all 4 exams of a pretty strenuous course in planetary science<br /><br />i mean, not that that earns me a spot on the bridge of the enterprise, but i could probably fake my way through a shuttle drivers ed course<br /><br />ie. yes i pay attention to details, no im not totally uninformed about the subject, and yes im capable of critical thinking to at least decide whether something has merit ...<br /><br />.... <b> regardless of the prevailing view </b> ...which i think is the most important thing of all honestly ... and the thing that people probably a whole lot higher on the mensa scale than i am, are way too often almost totally lacking<br /><br />.<br /><br />

C

chew_on_this

Don't let steves blathering get to you. We just ignore his rantings for the most part,

V

vonster

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Don't let steves blathering get to you. We just ignore his rantings for the most part<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />i could have just used the shuttle liscencing thing then huh, that always stops them dead in thier tracks ..<br /><br />.

Status
Not open for further replies.