The Last Starfighter/Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Over the last week or so, The Last Starfighter has been on my cable channels. And as I looked at Granny Gordon, I knew I had seen that face before, and I was right. The actress is Meg Wyllie, who was the first ever "Star Trek" villain, the Talosian Keeper in the first "Star Trek" (1966) pilot "The Cage". This character was voiced by Vic Perrin.

Sometimes when you see a face, you just know you have seen it before.

BTW, I love The Last Starfighter!! :)

Y

yevaud

Yes, and it's one of a rare few movies, in which the comment "wipe off your face" has a new, weird meaning too.

A

a_lost_packet_

Searching for the actress in question, I cam across this site. It's somewhat depressing but... I think any Star Trek fan would like to take note of it.

It's a list of all the actors, stunt doubles, cast and crew members who have worked on the Star Trek franchise in some way and who have passed on.

Memorial

Lots of faces to recognize and remember there.

C

CommonMan

Startrek is what me started learning about space. This one show seems to stick in my memory when I think about the show. I have most of the shows on DVD and watch them sometimes when there is nothing worth watching on TV.

S

starsinmyeyes44

Thanks, a_l_p, for that list....amazing! So sad to see that many of those listed passed away so young.

A

a_lost_packet_

starsinmyeyes44":2eps4hb2 said:
Thanks, a_l_p, for that list....amazing! So sad to see that many of those listed passed away so young.

Yeah, I looked through it all and started noticing all the youthful deaths. Did some googling... Surprising.

Lots of cancer, aids and a few car crashes and sometimes what appears as a overdose. But, several stuck out. One, in particular, was a stuntwoman who broke her back. Her fellow stuntwomen set up a Stuntwoman's foundation for her to help with her expenses. Sad.. :(

But, we can smile and remember their impact on our lives as fans to somehow fill a bit of the emptiness they may have left in their passing. It's amazing the medium of film, isn't it? One person with one brief line can touch millions of souls. Phenomenal..

A

a_lost_packet_

MeteorWayne":25u66xna said:
Wowwwwwww! What a list. I'm only up to "F"!

Big list, ain't it? Kind of depressing, though. It's a reminder that Death is a constant companion, whether you want him or not. May as well get used to him hanging around.

Looks like it's time to play another game... gotta go. So far, I'm ahead 3-2. But, I don't want to lose my home-field advantage just yet...

Ingmar_Bergman-The_Seventh_Seal-01.jpg

S

StarRider1701

Thanks lost, great list. I only got about halfway through it before beginning memory overload. Some great actors there, great and memorable characters. Like them or not, all the incarnations of Star Trek touched so many people.

A

a_lost_packet_

StarRider1701":1vs6i0b9 said:
... Like them or not, all the incarnations of Star Trek touched so many people.

/agree

I wasn't much into the TNG an DS9 series. I was one of the strange fans that liked TOS, Voyager and Enterprise.. Go figure. I never could "get into" DS9 that much. I had problems with Sisko. I just didn't connect with Avery Brooks.. No personality, no emotion.. no real "grit." But, I did like a couple of the other characters in the show.

Still, all of those who have gone before deserve some recognition for contributing their efforts towards creating a franchise that touched millions. Our imaginations will have enough fuel for a hundred journeys to the stars.

J

jim48

MeteorWayne":douia4hs said:
Over the last week or so, The Last Starfighter has been on my cable channels. And as I looked at Granny Gordon, I knew I had seen that face before, and I was right. The actress is Meg Wyllie, who was the first ever "Star Trek" villain, the Talosian Keeper in the first "Star Trek" (1966) pilot "The Cage". This character was voiced by Vic Perrin.

Sometimes when you see a face, you just know you have seen it before.

BTW, I love The Last Starfighter!! :)

Ah, but in "The Cage", the Keeper was voiced by Malachi Throne, later the commodore in "The Menagerie". For some reason they re-recorded the Keeper's dialouge for "The Menagerie". See Inside Star Trek, by Robert H. Justman and Herb Solow.

J

JasonChapman

The Last Star Fighter was groundbreaking in terms of special FX, as was Tron two years earlier. Unfortunately studio executives and critics viewed CGI effects as fanciful and just a total waste of time and money. James Cameron kept the dream of CGI effects alive with The Abyss, that water tentacle. I wonder back in the day when they made the last Star Fighter, if they would have stuck with CGI where we would be today in terms of film making, far beyond Cameron’s Avatar I think.

Here’s a piece of pointless trivia I found out in college, when they made Jurassic Park back in 1993 a computer used to create the CGI Dinosaurs cost up to $1 million, now you can get them from any high street electronic store for under $1000, that how far we have come in 17 years.

B

bdewoody

The last Starfighter is one of my favorite light sci fi movies. Great concept too, recruiting pilots from video gamers.

D

docm

Funny you should mention The Last Starfighter. I just picked up the remastered 25th anniversary edition that was released last August. Very, very nice. Highly recommended. DVD or BR, <$18 either way at Amazon.com.

bdewoody":2ptiyykl said:
Great concept too, recruiting pilots from video gamers.

What do you think the military is doing with UAV pilots? They say the video gamers are the easiest to train, so they go after them. Going to happen even more with all the drone fighters, bombers, HK's coming down the pipe.

Y

yevaud

That list was simply amazing. All of those actors whom you know by face and reputation, but don't know their names.

B

bdewoody

docm":3iibyhx6 said:
Funny you should mention The Last Starfighter. I just picked up the remastered 25th anniversary edition that was released last August. Very, very nice. Highly recommended. DVD or BR, <$18 either way at Amazon.com.

bdewoody":3iibyhx6 said:

What do you think the military is doing with UAV pilots? They say the video gamers are the easiest to train, so they go after them. Going to happen even more with all the drone fighters, bombers, HK's coming down the pipe.
Duh, thats what I was referring to.

Y

yevaud

bdewoody":3a53kuck said:

docm":3a53kuck said:

Well, depends on the service. The Army, actually, recruits from within the enlisted ranks, tending towards those with practical prior field experience. PistolPete was going to retrain to a new MOS to be one of those pilots, IIRC. He has (again, IIRC) a commercial pilots license, which was probably more of a sell than "I are a GaMEr DoOdZ." ;)

But there are also studies - no doubt you are familiar with them - which do show an increased ability in hand-eye coordination and general reflexes.

Heh. Our poor enemies. Zapped from altitude, blowing up prematurely ("premature detonation"), thanks to a bunch of military gamers sitting in a room. :)

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":4zyzqsok said:
..Heh. Our poor enemies. Zapped from altitude, blowing up prematurely ("premature detonation"), thanks to a bunch of military gamers sitting in a room. :)

"Zapped" from altitude. No, no, no.. You didn't get the new manual in your outfit, did ya? The new manual say's the correct term is now..

"Pwnt"

As in, "Pwnt from altitude."

"P'owned" and "Owned" have been recently discontinued as not properly reflecting the spirit of the Service... Corps.. err Army.. whatever. "Zapped" is right out unless you're one o' them greeneyed microwave jockies.. Well, on second thought, maybe you guys do use "Zapped." Train one of them big dishes and crank up the volume.. bug zapper?

Y

yevaud

a_lost_packet_":3ukxnl5q said:
"Zapped" is right out unless you're one o' them greeneyed microwave jockies.. Well, on second thought, maybe you guys do use "Zapped." Train one of them big dishes and crank up the volume.. bug zapper?

With my old stuff, I could fry a person in outside of a minute (depending on distance). Zapped. Irradiated. Gone to the great nukeable dinner heaven. "'E's DEAD, Mate. 'E's an Ex-Parrot."

No little glass rotating platter provided.

A

a_lost_packet_

The Last Starfighter - Video game download

This is made to be used within a cabinet but, according to some, should work just fine on a standard PC. I d'loaded it but couldn't figure out how to get past the "insert coin" screen. [ESC] shuts the game down. It may require an analog control or emulator (like a joystick).

Here's some entries on digg about it including the creator's replies to some comments. The virus warning mentioned is probably a false positive because of the .msi installer.

I uninstalled it because I don't have a joystick atm and don't feel like remapping my keys or emulating a joystick. But, some of you may have your system setup appropriately already.

So, enjoy and tell me how it was. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts