Feature This week's community question is about celestial objects!

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

Howdy howdy and happy Monday, everyone! :D

For this week's community question, I thought I'd go a bit more broad with the parameters. To put it lightly, I am a big fan of Jupiter. Honestly, I wish I had a more fascinating reason than this: It's just a ridiculously huge planet. I mean, it's MASSIVE. Anyway, that's enough to amaze me.

So, what about you guys? What are your favourite celestial objects and why?

Remember, we'll be featuring some of our favourite answers on the weekly community round-up!

So many possible answers. To pick just one,Mars, because its the next place people will set foot on.

Dec 24, 2020
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

Howdy howdy and happy Monday, everyone! :D

For this week's community question, I thought I'd go a bit more broad with the parameters. To put it lightly, I am a big fan of Jupiter. Honestly, I wish I had a more fascinating reason than this: It's just a ridiculously huge planet. I mean, it's MASSIVE. Anyway, that's enough to amaze me.

So, what about you guys? What are your favourite celestial objects and why?

Remember, we'll be featuring some of our favourite answers on the weekly community round-up!

Big and beautiful and best! What is there not to like about the Big Dog on the block? I think Jupiter has been overlooked as a suitable environment for life. Pressure, temperature and chemical conditions roughly 150-200 miles below the cloud tops on Jupiter are remarkably similar to conditions in sediments under abyssal basins on Earth. These sediments deep under the oceans are very low in oxygen, low in water and chemically harsh. Yet these sediments are the comfy home for AOA Archaea microbes (Ammonia Oxidizing Archaea). These microbes are everywhere down there, and because 70% of the Earth is covered with ocean water, these Archaea are the most numerous lifeforms on Earth as well as the greatest total mass of any lifeform. There is nothing to stop these same microbes from living in the atmosphere on Jupiter.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
"conditions roughly 150-200 miles below the cloud tops on Jupiter are remarkably similar to conditions in sediments under abyssal basins on Earth."

Were these your sources?

Atmosphere of Jupiter - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Atmosphere_of_Jupiter

The atmosphere of Jupiter is the largest planetary atmosphere in the Solar System. It is mostly ... Hydrogen becomes a supercritical fluid at a pressure of around 12 bar. ... As is generally the case, the top atmospheric layer, the exosphere, does not have ... Below these ammonia ice clouds, denser cloudsmade of ammonium ...
Zones, belts and jets · ‎Dynamics · ‎Discrete features · ‎Observational history

Jupiter's Atmosphere: Composition & the Great Red Spot ...
https://www.space.com › 18385-jupiter-atmosphere

18 Oct 2018 — The atmosphere of Jupiter is almost all hydrogen and is marked by distinctive ... Traveling from the outermost edges of Jupiter toward its center, pressure and temperature goes up. ... The troposphere also contains dense clouds of water that influence the ... The thermosphere lies on top of the stratosphere.

Jupiter - Cloud composition | Britannica
https://www.britannica.com › place › Jupiter-planet › Cl...

Jupiter - Jupiter - Cloud composition: Jupiter's clouds are formed at different altitudes ... with cloud-top temperatures of about 120 kelvins (K; −240 °F, or −150 °C). ... Under equilibrium conditions—allowing all the elements present to react with one ... This has important implications for the formation of the planet (see below ...

What Is Jupiter? | NASA
https://www.nasa.gov › audience › features › nasa-know

10 Aug 2011 — The temperature in the clouds of Jupiter is about minus 145 degrees Celsius ... If a person could stand on the clouds at the top of Jupiter's atmosphere, the ... But on Jupiter, the pressure is so great inside its atmosphere that the gas becomes liquid. ... Beneath the ice may be an ocean of water or slushy ice.

Cat :)

Latest posts