Thoughts on the success of the Shuttle Program?

Are Space Shuttles the Best Spacecraft Ever Built?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
I am writing a paper on the success of the shuttle program and over all if the space shuttle was worth it. I think that the Space Shuttle is currently the best spacecraft ever built (notice this doesn't include planned or in construction ships). However, I would greatly appreciate any insights and opinions you all have so I can learn the common arguments and answers against and for the shuttles.

Don't forget to vote in the poll above! And thanks again guys!

Reactions: serhiy1635

COLGeek

Seems the vote is a moot point based on your statement from the perspective of your paper. While the shuttle was indeed awesome, it certainly had its flaws (like a significant logistics burden) and mishaps.

There has certainly been nothing like it since and we have lost the ability to haul things back and forth and even conduct repairs, with current capabilities.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
I am trying to see what other people think, so for example, if you think the space shuttle is NOT the best spacecraft ever built, I would like to know but more importantly why you think this so I can address those points in my paper. I am just trying to get the common arguments for and against.

Wolfshadw

Personally, I think the shuttle, itself, was a huge success. It allowed us to do things in space that had never been done before and likely won't be able to do again until we get some type of replacement.

The shuttle program, on the other hand, was a huge failure. If I remember correctly, the idea behind the shuttle program was inexpensive and resuable to the extent of 18 to 24 launches per year. As we all know, it wasn't inexpensive and we never even came close to the reusability that was advertised.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: SpaceShuttleer
Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the input! And yeah my paper is more on the shuttle then the shuttle program, I just said 'shuttle program' in the title to get people's attention. But obviously they are pretty connected and I will talk about it in my paper. Thanks you the input!

I agree, the shuttle was pretty amazing and special but was not what was intended. I think with current technology an more inexpensive shuttle with 100% reusability could be possible. Have liquid fuel boosters rather then SRBs similar to Buran and have an engine attached to the ET. Then each stage falls to earth and lands like a Falcon 9. Perhaps even don't have 2 boosters and an ET maybe just one single rocket, then shuttle is basically second stage? Who knows what's possible in the future.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Im not asking you to. I am asking nothing more then what was stated above. This is the type of thing discussed here so it only made sense. If no one responds to this I will not be unable to finish my assignment. I was simply asking if anyone wanted to state their opinion on the shuttle, since I couldn't find a post about it on the forum already.

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Probably not, because I don't think you can cite a forum anyway. I am just using it to see what people's general opinions are, and maybe use some of their ideas. I mean, the point of this forum is to discuss space, how does this not fit that category? If I had not mentioned my reason for posting it, would it make a difference in how people saw it?

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Probably not, because I don't think you can cite a forum anyway. I am just using it to see what people's general opinions are, and maybe use some of their ideas. I mean, the point of this forum is to discuss space, how does this not fit that category? If I had not mentioned my reason for posting it, would it make a difference in how people saw it?
"Probably not, because I don't think you can cite a forum anyway. "

Why not? Are our comments good enough to crib, but not good enough to acknowledge? Or do you want them to appear to be from your own superior intelligence?

Cat :)

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Ok come on give me a break. That is not what I meant.
I will make sure to give a big fat citation at the end for you, sound good? Despite the fact all you guys have done is insulted me for being creative in my assignment. Wolf and COLGeek are the only ones that actually said anything.

And by the way yes there are more sources. Why must I suffer like this? I'm not forcing anyone to answer just giving them an oppruntunity to talk about space shuttle on a space forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts