Tremendous fireball - any re-entry activity?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrenalynn

<p>Hi <font color="#003399">ekoerner</font> !&nbsp; Welcome to the SDC!</p><p>Can you give us more details on your observation?&nbsp; To start with - where are you located geographically?&nbsp; Bonus points for a latitude and longitude.&nbsp; Did you look at the clock per-chance?&nbsp; Any other details about your observation?&nbsp; If you look at my post you'll see how detailed and clear I had to be for MeteorWayne to zoom in so tightly on the event.</p><p>If you indeed saw the same meteor I did, it's really valuable.&nbsp; Details from multiple observers can tell a tremendous amount of information.&nbsp; You may also catch some details that I don't, and vice-versa, even if we're standing shoulder to shoulder.</p><p>Anyway - any info in addition would be great!</p><p>Again - Welcome Aboard!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Hi I'm new here!&nbsp;Last night I saw that fireball you described.&nbsp; It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in the night sky.&nbsp;I'm no expert observer, I just happend to be outside when it came blazing through.I was hoping to find an answer to what it was I observed? <br />Posted by ekoerner</DIV><br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Fireballs are cool, aren't they? <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I know I see and experience things others don't, but that green fireball with flames did happen last summer. The color is probably a clue, whether it was a piece of space junk or a bolide. </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This is VERY similar to what I saw last August: http://fireball.meteorite.free.fr/1992_10_09/Video/video_peekskill.html <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Fireballs are relatively common events across the world; however, large and very bright, much less common.</p><p>For example, the AMS Fireball page lists 333 separate events in 2008 through August 14.</p><p>Only a handful were witnessed by more than one person however.</p><p>To peruse the full list:</p><p>http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/fireball_log2008.html</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

Thanks for the link.<br /><br />I thought you were joking, but now it's obvious this is a wide-spread phenomena. So what happens when the mother of all fireballs comes down?<br />

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for the link.I thought you were joking, but now it's obvious this is a wide-spread phenomena. So what happens when the mother of all fireballs comes down? <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Then Mr. Bond, you die.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for the link.I thought you were joking, but now it's obvious this is a wide-spread phenomena. So what happens when the mother of all fireballs comes down? <br />Posted by aphh</DIV></p><p>Fireballs are no joking matter. ;)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

E

ekoerner

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi ekoerner !&nbsp; Welcome to the SDC!Can you give us more details on your observation?&nbsp; To start with - where are you located geographically?&nbsp; Bonus points for a latitude and longitude.&nbsp; Did you look at the clock per-chance?&nbsp; Any other details about your observation?&nbsp; If you look at my post you'll see how detailed and clear I had to be for MeteorWayne to zoom in so tightly on the event.If you indeed saw the same meteor I did, it's really valuable.&nbsp; Details from multiple observers can tell a tremendous amount of information.&nbsp; You may also catch some details that I don't, and vice-versa, even if we're standing shoulder to shoulder.Anyway - any info in addition would be great!Again - Welcome Aboard!&nbsp; <br /> Posted by adrenalynn</DIV></p><p>Thank you!</p><p>Well it was like you said Tuesday twilight I was not wearing a watch. I guess it was right around 9pm Central Time </p><p>The sky had just darkened there was maybe 1 star visible</p><p>I made my observation from Watertown WI 53094</p><p>I found a lat lon locator it said 43.189769,-88.704142</p><p>The area I was in is partially wooded so when I first saw it, it was SE traveling East to West.</p><p>As far as degrees from the horizon goes I'm guessing it was at 14 when i first seen it and 13 when it disappeared. The trajectory was very flat.</p><p>It was visible for 3-4 seconds </p><p>It appeared large in the sky smaller than the moon.</p><p>The fireball was orange in color.&nbsp; The core glowed bright yellow.</p><p>I did use the beginner link that Wayne posted and made a report. </p><p>&nbsp; </p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I did use the beginner link that Wayne posted and made a report. &nbsp; <br />Posted by ekoerner</DIV><br /><br />Thanx, it will be added to the database! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Then Mr. Bond, you die.... <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"</p><p>Super-Villain: "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"</p><p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1TmeBd9338 </p><p>Btw, how did you guess I am a fan of James Bond movies?&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"Super-Villain: "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1TmeBd9338 Btw, how did you guess I am a fan of James Bond movies?&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />LOL, I think everyody's a fan of Goldfinger :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts