Unresponsive Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

This is mostly for dh, but anyone is welcome to chime in if they have anything to add.

I've been mentioning this problem on another problem thread. Since that other problem seems to have been solved, I figured I would start another thread on this one.

Sometimes, when I go to the SDC home page, I get a pop-up similar to this:

sdcscript3.jpg

The source of the script never appears to be the same, but most seem to be associated with an ad service.

The image below is a thumbnail of a larger screen capture of the pop-up, and the condition of the SDC home page at the time the pop-up appears. It shows that the browser is reading from "static.2mdn.net" at the time the pop-up appears.

I am using Firefox 3.5.5.

Hope this helps eliminate this problem.

D

doublehelix

If anyone else is experiencing this, please, please, please, let me know. That will be a huge help. Swampcat, I hope to have some info for you asap. I'm sorry it's been such a hassle.

-dh

D

doublehelix

Swampcat, I have some info: it has been confirmed to be third party ads. Next time, if you could please tell us which ad shows when the script dialog box appears, that would be a big help. We want to whack it! :twisted:

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

If the script locks it up, wouldn't the offending ad never show up?

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":2mf847yg said:

I would guess that the ad needs to be present and visual in order for its script to wreak havoc. :cool:

-dh

S

Swampcat

dh, thank you very much for working on this and keeping me informed.

Next time, if you could please tell us which ad shows when the script dialog box appears, that would be a big help.

Will do.

M

MeteorWayne

doublehelix":138so0qp said:
MeteorWayne":138so0qp said:

I would guess that the ad needs to be present and visual in order for its script to wreak havoc. :cool:

-dh

LOL, that wouldn't be my guess, but I'm no expert. I would think that the offending ad is the one that doesn't show up next, and the ad before it would be the scapegoat that was left showing :)

That still might be a useful piece of information though....if there's a rotation of ads, the offending one would be the next one after the ad that's left holding the bag ;)

S

Swampcat

OK, here's today's offerings:

Here's the dialog box:

sdcscript4.jpg

As you can see, I've smeared out some of the text in the URL as it contains a reference to my personal home page. Why is this script interested in this? Is this a common practice? Why does it need this information?

Thumbnail of SDC home page before stopping the script:

Thumbnail of top part of SDC home page after stopping the script.

D

doublehelix

Swampcat":3usm6w4m said:
As you can see, I've smeared out some of the text in the URL as it contains a reference to my personal home page. Why is this script interested in this? Is this a common practice? Why does it need this information?

That is a good question. My first response would be maybe it's looking at that to determine what kind of ad to run? I must say, I am no online ad expert, so it's just guesses on my part.

Anyway, this is great! I'm going to forward it on, and I hope this will help in fixing the problem. Again, I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience - I get those script thingys on some pages and it can be a big PITA.

-dh

S

Swampcat

I got through the weekend without seeing this, but first thing Monday morning:

sdcscript5.jpg

Here's the full screen shot thumbnail:

S

Swampcat

Had two yesterday, but didn't save the second.

Here's today's with personal info smeared:

sdcscript6.jpg

SDC home page was reading "cdn.undertone.com" at the time.

D

doublehelix

Yes, it's all ad-related, as you have guessed. Yesterday, I was told that the ad networks were going to be contacted. I'll see what the status is today.

-dh

S

Swampcat

doublehelix":2dncmixv said:
Yes, it's all ad-related, as you have guessed. Yesterday, I was told that the ad networks were going to be contacted. I'll see what the status is today.

-dh

:cool:

And thanks.

Once this one is solved we'll move on to the next problem :p

D

doublehelix

Swampcat":24m1hkm9 said:
the next problem :p

Noooooooooo!! :cool: :lol: :eek: :mrgreen: :ugeek: ;)

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to solving this problem for you! Sorry it's been a bummer with those annoying hanging scripts.

-dh

S

Swampcat

This one is interesting. It says the offending script is on my hard drive. :eek:

D

doublehelix

Swampcat":dlloy4hs said:
This one is interesting. It says the offending script is on my hard drive. :eek:

Yikes! :eek: I've inquired again - hope to get more info to you soon.

-dh

D

doublehelix

Sorry this is still an issue, Swampcat. Is it safe to assume you went for a few days without seeing it, though?

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Still have to wonder why no one else is reporting this problem. I'm no ubergeek, so I can't say, but logically it seems to point to some kind of configuration issue on Swampcat's end, doesn't it?

M

Mee_n_Mac

MeteorWayne":a6gd5vee said:
Still have to wonder why no one else is reporting this problem. I'm no ubergeek, so I can't say, but logically it seems to point to some kind of configuration issue on Swampcat's end, doesn't it?

My guess is that SC's browser times out sooner than the rest of us. I don't get the message boxes he gets but I do see a "stall" when trying to load certain ads and their scripts. IE will just sit there and wait for many 10's of seconds ... sometimes. Just when I'm abort to stop and reload it'll then continue. I also don't have the box checked to 'notify about every script error'.

S

Swampcat

doublehelix":17hjemxi said:
Sorry this is still an issue, Swampcat. Is it safe to assume you went for a few days without seeing it, though?

-dh

I have gone two days without seeing it, but then there are days I see it several times. I just haven't reported all the occurrences.

S

Swampcat

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I haven't seen the unresponsive script dialog box hasn't occurred for about four days. :D

I can't say there is a direct correlation, but I stopped getting them about the time Firefox automatically updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts