Up in the air! US government's UFO report stirs range of reactions

What I keep thinking I will see in articles and news reports is the word "astronomer". More specifically "amateur astronomers".

As Yogi would say, "You can observe a lot by just watching." :) There are a lot of watchers out there known as amateur astronomers. Where are all their reports? Not many amateurs I know are all that shy.

I recall an interesting statistic that Harris County (Houston) had the most number of tornados than any other county in Texas. But, they also have the most number of people who can report seeing tornados. The number of observers are important to any science that wants to talk about things we see.

Helio in post #2 is correct about all the amateur astronomy observers outdoors and where are all their reports? Plenty post images at sites like spaceweather.com but show weather balloons being picked up while viewing and imaging :) Others like me make comments at Sky & Telescope on observations or space.com. They all have something in common. No UFOs reported. My stargazing log for this year and last goes back to 04-May-2020 thru today, 28-June-2021. I enjoyed 137 days of observing and more than 140 hours at the eyepiece. No UFOs to report and my 90-mm refractor views from 25x to 200x and my 10-inch, 30x to 300x along with 10x50 binoculars. Many interesting sights logged by me including ISS observations, satellites, and meteors, including breaking up leaving smoke trains. No UFOs and I have another observation log database going back nearly 30 years.

There is software used by some amateur observers that shows quite a number viewing in the USA, Europe and other nations at anytime of the year. There could be hundreds of telescope users operating in the USA or even more on any given night or solar observing like I do also during the day. Earlier this month, the 17-year cicada were all over my area where I view from. While solar observing, many flew by high up across the field of view in my telescope while enjoying sunspot observations :)

Reactions: Helio
Helio in post #2 is correct about all the amateur astronomy observers outdoors and where are all their reports? Plenty post images at sites like spaceweather.com but show weather balloons being picked up while viewing and imaging :) Others like me make comments at Sky & Telescope on observations or space.com. They all have something in common. No UFOs reported.

This amateur did witness a reported UFO, but since I was there to help my neighbor launch it, I assume this one doesn’t count. :) It was never meant to be a UFO.

Reactions: rod

Latest posts