US to share missile defense w/Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

MSNBC article....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><b>U.S. may let Russia share missile shield</b><br /><br /><b><i>But defense official says plan will move ahead with or without Moscow</i></b><br /><br />WASHINGTON - The United States could offer to protect Russia from emerging missile threats in an effort to ease Moscow’s anger over Pentagon plans to place missile defense systems in the former Soviet bloc, a senior U.S. defense official said Tuesday.<br /><br />Eric Edelman, the Pentagon’s under secretary of defense for policy, said the United States and Russia would start talks on ways to cooperate in missile defense.<br /><br />One option is to share data retrieved by sensors that Washington wants to place in central Europe, Edelman said. Edelman said the United States also could offer to use its missile defenses to protect parts of Russia that Moscow’s missile defenses do not cover.<br /><br />“If we can help them defend themselves against this same threat, I think we’re happy to do that,” he told reporters at the Pentagon.<br /><br />The Pentagon wants to place a radar system in the Czech Republic and 10 interceptor missiles in Poland to shoot down long-range missiles that the United States believes Iran will be able to launch by 2015.<br /><br />That plan has generated fierce criticism in Russia. Moscow sees the system as an encroachment on its sphere of influence, and some Russian officials have said the U.S. system would target Russia, something the Pentagon denies.<br /><br />France and Germany have expressed concerns too, with some officials saying it could lead to a new arms race.<br /><br />Edelman said cooperation on defenses could alleviate worries about a race to build and acquire ever more capable offensive missile assets.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacelifejunkie

My, oh my, how times have changed.<br /><br /><br />SLJ

V

vogon13

Russian resistance to our attempts at extending the missle shield could be interpretted as supporting a tactic that would render the point moot.<br /><br />Take out Iran.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Q

qso1

Not so knew an idea. IIRC, when Reagan announced SDI, or what became known as "Star wars". He at one point, envisioned a shared defense capability between the superpowers. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

space_tycoon

What in God's name would possess Iran to attack Russia with missiles?! Russia is about the only real ally they have right now, next to China.<br /><br />Ludicrous. The neo-cons have another thing coming if they believe Putin can be taken in by such nonsense.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

scottb50

I think that became clear with their reaction to Raygun's more than 20 years ago. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

Interesting, thanks. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

N

nexium

Sharing data is good as long as the USA does not need to ship interface equipment to Rusia. The USA has been careless about transfering technology to alies who sell our technology to potential enemies, such as Iraq, Iran, North Korea and China. Neil

Q

qso1

Thats true. One way around that may be to let the Russians develop much of their own technology with our supervision and vice versa. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

scottb50

Thats true. One way around that may be to let the Russians develop much of their own technology with our supervision and vice versa...<br /><br />I'm sure they would agree to that. Sure! That's the ticket. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Maybe, maybe not. They have agreed to international arms control inspectors verifying destruction or conversion of ICBMs during the reduction in ICBM forces that occured under the START treaty.<br /><br />If they do not agree, then no shared missile defense. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts