We proved that you can land wherever you want.' Japan's SLIM moon probe nailed precise lunar landing, JAXA says

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
I have trouble understanding how it got in that position. The velocity at 50 ft, must be much slower than I assumed. It doesn't appear to have that much damage for landing upside down.
Based on the text I assume the craft actually landed more or less upright, but in a slope, which caused it to roll downwards and westward further down into the crater, ending up in the nose-down position.

Reactions: billslugg
Based on the text I assume the craft actually landed more or less upright, but in a slope, which caused it to roll downwards and westward further down into the crater, ending up in the nose-down position.
according to the the live landing conference, it was intended to have some sideways velocity, land on a slope, and tip over. but the engine failure made it have too much velocity, so it rotated too much.

Reactions: billslugg
Too bad that they didn't give it a proboscis to prevent this from happening. Even something the size of a standard automotive airbag inflated with nitrogen would have probably have been enough to shift the COG to make it tip bask onto its side.

Latest posts