What are the stars lined up underneath Orion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

astrodumi

i have noticed 5 stars, in graduated magnitude,that are underneath and in line and arcing upwards and to the left of Orion. I have been observing Orion unaided for about 10 years now and have never seen any stars lined up under it like that before. Can any one tell me what they are?

T

thalion

Without more specific information, that question is almost impossible to answer, I'm afraid.

N

nexium

When you type Orion should we assume the 3 belt stars rather than the whole constellation, and that you are oberving pehaps 8 PM? The reason I ask is constalations turn upside down between sunset and sunrise, so left becomes right and right becomes left. By graduated, do you mean the dimest are on the lower right, sucessively brighter as you sweep upward to the left? Is it possible this is the bow of Orion? Your observing location may also be helpful/ northern Australia or northern USA? Neil

A

astrodumi

Nexium-when I type Orion I mean the entire constellation viewed from about 8:00pm mst in Northern Arizona near Prescott, when Orion is basically on it's back. By graduated I mean the brightest is below near the middle of the constellation with the magnitude reducing in size as they sweep up and to the left of Orion. This is not the bow of Orion as it is underneath it and the stars are mostly of a greater magnitude than Orion. How can no one see these stars? At first I thought they were a planetary alignment but they have not changed position since Nov. like the faster moving planets would over time.<br />I really appreciate your response to this and hope you will continue to try to observe them and tell me what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts