What do you think is the best Planet/Moon for human colonization?

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Catastrophe

Approaching asteroid? Is this THE one?
Feb 18, 2020
Hi Vincen, I am saying that if the asteroid is solid, it should be attracted to a large object we send close to it. If it is a collection of smaller objects, I don't think that these will be attracted to the same degree.

Cat :)

Reactions: vincenzosassone

Catastrophe

Approaching asteroid? Is this THE one?
Feb 18, 2020
What do you think is the best Planet/Moon for human colonization?

That is the question. You can divide it into two parts (1) within 500 years (2) within 5 billion years.

OK, we are talking about colonisation, not terraforming.

(1) The only possibility is Mars. You could postulate more possibilities, but the question asks "best". Mars is the only option. Outer moons are too far, too cold.

(2) When the Sun expands the outer moons will warm up. Several possibilities here - take your pick. Maybe a Galilean moon for starters and move out to Titan or Triton later?

Cat :)

Reactions: vincenzosassone
Nov 2, 2020
As always, Cat, I can notice in your words a lot of wisdom and experience!
I agree with you, Mars is the best planet to begin our experience. I really hope I'll be present when the first man makes the first step on the red planet. Even if we can't terraform it we can colonise Mars, and without question this planet will be the first of a long series (I really hope that). I must say that our moon as well as Venus are place too instable to live (expecially at the beginning). On the other hand, when the sun starts expanding I think we will have the technology to approach another "solar" sistem (and besides that, we will have already colonised the half of ours). As you may notice, I have a big hope in technology, shouldn't I after all?

Reactions: Catastrophe
Jun 7, 2021
We all should know Kepler 425-b and Gliese 581d, and many more, but would do you think would be the best candidate? Planet? Moon?
What do you think?
My personal opinion is on Gliese 581 g.
Reality=MARS as Kepler 425-b and Gliese 581d are not and will not be within reasonable travel distance & time allotment unless something unknown happens to solve that issue!

Mars has the proper size, water, habitable zone, slight atmosphere that could possibly be
terraformed over multiple decades or centuries, it's within reasonable travel distance to
Earth, yet far enough away to remain intact if unforeseen collisions happen to one planet or the other, we have the current tech to survive, and willing humans to go, and it makes sense to
insure the survivability of our species barring a planet ending disaster..!

Nov 2, 2020
Reality=MARS as Kepler 425-b and Gliese 581d are not and will not be within reasonable travel distance & time allotment unless something unknown happens to solve that issue!

Mars has the proper size, water, habitable zone, slight atmosphere that could possibly be
terraformed over multiple decades or centuries, it's within reasonable travel distance to
Earth, yet far enough away to remain intact if unforeseen collisions happen to one planet or the other, we have the current tech to survive, and willing humans to go, and it makes sense to
insure the survivability of our species barring a planet ending disaster..!
Correct me if I am wrong, I can notice a contraddiction. In the first part of the speech you tell us that there isn't the possibilty to reach Mars (as well as other exoplanets, and talking about exoplanets I agree); in the second part you talk about Mars as a possible place to make settlements (and even terraform the planet, something I'm not totally sure can happen).
Anyway, I can say without doubts we will land on Mars, do not worry about it.

Dec 9, 2020
It occurs to me that the best planet for human colonization is Earth. The only problem is that there are far too many people already on Earth. So perhaps one approach might be to convince a lot of Earth people to move out into the vast Cosmos to settle and despoil new planets. As a follow-up, those remaining on Earth could be convinced that the Earth will be unable to support humans in the immediate future. Thus, resource war would erupt further reducing population. When the proverbial "dust settles", perhaps a better form of Earth colonization could ensue. (That is until the Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way Galaxy play "back to back and belly to belly" in 3.5-4by). Let me use my house as an analogy. I keep fixing it up and keeping it habitable until it either falls down or I can sell it and leave. The Earth is the only home we have.

Nov 2, 2020
It occurs to me that the best planet for human colonization is Earth. The only problem is that there are far too many people already on Earth. So perhaps one approach might be to convince a lot of Earth people to move out into the vast Cosmos to settle and despoil new planets. As a follow-up, those remaining on Earth could be convinced that the Earth will be unable to support humans in the immediate future. Thus, resource war would erupt further reducing population. When the proverbial "dust settles", perhaps a better form of Earth colonization could ensue. (That is until the Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way Galaxy play "back to back and belly to belly" in 3.5-4by). Let me use my house as an analogy. I keep fixing it up and keeping it habitable until it either falls down or I can sell it and leave. The Earth is the only home we have.
This is worring and funny at the same time... :tearsofjoy:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS