What do you think is the best Planet/Moon for human colonization?

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
A lot of people think that in some time we will colonize Mars. But as for me this idea sounds a bit useless. Where is the point to colonize planet with such a harsh environment like Mars. I quess the best option for humanity would be saving the Earth. This is the only planet in the Solar system where humans can live.

Reactions: Catastrophe
It warps time and space to allow itself to go 10x the speed of light."
Would be beautiful.
Not to mention totally impossible by current science.
Of course, it is better to not give an answer when you can be wrong :tearsofjoy:
Anyways, as I have always said here, there is only one way to travel through galaxies: using wormholes . Even if we could travel one hundred times faster than light, we wouldn't be able to get out of our galaxy, that's a limit in my opinion.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
The disk of our home galaxy – the Milky Way – is bigger than we previously thought. A new study shows it would take 200,000 years for a spaceship traveling at the speed of light to go across the entire galaxy.

How Long Would It Take to Cross the Milky Way at Light Speed?

So at 100c it would take 2,000 years.
So, if we were half way out (just as an example), radius = 1/2 diameter and we are half that (just to make it simple) It would take about 500 years to get to the edge.
Where you want to go after that is another matter.

Cat
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: vincenzosassone
Apr 19, 2021
Visit site
A lot of people think that in some time we will colonize Mars. But as for me this idea sounds a bit useless. Where is the point to colonize planet with such a harsh environment like Mars. I quess the best option for humanity would be saving the Earth. This is the only planet in the Solar system where humans can live.
By colonizing it's usually meant to set up permanent research base and similar, not to populate entry planet with people, populating the planet would take centuries.

There are valid reasons why:
1. Environmental catastrophe on earth
2. Asteroid threatening to hit earth
3. Temperature rise etc.

All of which can help preserve life.

After all mars is very close to us, it may take centuries or millenias until we reach out of solar system to colonize other earths.

Catastrophe

colonize
verb: colonise
send settlers to (a place) and establish political control over it.
  1. "the Greeks colonized Sicily and southern Italy"
    Similar:
    settle (in),
    establish a colony in, people, populate, pioneer, open up, found, overrun. occupy, take over, seize, capture, take possession of, annex, subjugate, hegemonize,

Terraform verb

(especially in science fiction) transform (a planet) so as to resemble the earth, especially so that it can support human life.
    "that wild idea to use comets to terraform Venus"

Definitions from Oxford Languages

To me the distinctions are:
    establish a colony / it
    (the planet) can support human life.

Cat :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
By colonizing it's usually meant to set up permanent research base and similar, not to populate entry planet with people, populating the planet would take centuries.

There are valid reasons why:
1. Environmental catastrophe on earth
2. Asteroid threatening to hit earth
3. Temperature rise etc.

All of which can help preserve life.

After all mars is very close to us, it may take centuries or millenias until we reach out of solar system to colonize other earths.
We can prevent Earth from Environmental catastrophe by making appropriate methods. Asteroids always threatening to hit Earth. As I have already mentioned Earth is the best planet in the Solar system for humans to live on. Mars has very harsh environment ( low temperature and high radiation )

The disk of our home galaxy – the Milky Way – is bigger than we previously thought. A new study shows it would take 200,000 years for a spaceship traveling at the speed of light to go across the entire galaxy.

How Long Would It Take to Cross the Milky Way at Light Speed?

So at 100c it would take 2,000 years.
So, if we were half way out (just as an example), radius = 1/2 diameter and we are half that (just to make it simple) It would take about 500 years to get to the edge.
Where you want to go after that is another matter.

Cat
:)
This could be an interesting proof showing how big is the observable Universe (the diameter of the observable Universe is roughly 93 bilion light years). Is ismpressive to think how Universe manage to surprise me again and again despite I know this since I was a child!

Catastrophe

serhiy,
"We can prevent Earth from Environmental catastrophe by making appropriate methods."

Not always. There are situations where asteroids can be just too large to divert.
In my view, there is a lot of over-optimism, about the time needed to avoid some impacts. As I posted, some periods of decades, or even centuries may be necessary for precautions We should be much more advanced already in this regard, imho. Even so, I believe that it is way beyond the resources of this planet to divert a Mars-sized object.

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
There are situations where asteroids can be just too large to divert.

Several hypotheses have been proposed about stopping or changing the direction of an asteroid to stop it from hitting Earth. For example, hitting asteroids with missiles and sending rockets to asteroids to change its path by influence of gravity, though I prefer the later from the former.
Even so, I believe that it is way beyond the resources of this planet to divert a Mars-sized object.
It is hardly possible for Mars-sized objects to come and hit Earth, Cat. :)

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
For example, a rogue star ????????????

Please tell me this is a typo!
Oh wait, well, I was thinking something and I typed something else. I beg for your pardon. Indeed, the orbit of a rogue star is extremely hard to change, but orbits of asteroids, perhaps even up to the size of the moon is possible to change if we discover it a long time before it is supposed to hit us. :)

For example, a rogue star ????????????
Excuse if I interrupt your interesting speech, but if we met a rogue star, the clash would be our last problem. If a rogue star manages to enter our solar sistem its heat will kill us without problems!
There is one "object" of any size which would cause serious problems, and that is a loose aggregate of many sized mixed constituent particles.
You cannot bomb it.
Now I don't know what you mean ( I'm sorry for my few knoledges on that), but if you mean we cannot bomb it because there will be a rain of dangerous asteroids, we can divert it as you suggested before(?)

Catastrophe

Vincen, I think that there might be problems with the other metals. Obviously you cannot paint opposite sides black and white. I think there is a problem with the gravitational model. Perhaps someone can explain. I don't think that the individual pieces will be attracted as one cog. If not, then the gravitational attraction will be (subject to correction) between the object sent and the individual smaller pieces. Then the gravitational attraction will be much less, because mass is smaller (individually) but strength still falls off with square of distance. Anyway, I'm sure there will be some answers.

Hi Cat,
I see the concept is hard both to explain and to learn.. Anyway, I can notice we are talking about gravity!
If I understand correctly, you are telling me that if we put an object toward the asteroid, it will attract it toward us, then the asteroid and the object sent will be one thing and it will be directed toward us. Correct me if I'm wrong and sorry for my weak understanding of it...

Latest posts