• Visit 'Mars' in Space.com's new 'Space Traveler' mini-documentary - Watch here! 🚀

What if we throw poo at Mars?

Apr 30, 2021
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it would be a good thing to throw our poo at Mars? I've been thinking a lot about it and and it not only sounds like a possible way to start an atmosphere there it also sounds like a rocket industry. I imagine kids growing up wanting to become waste disposal, daily launches to fling our brown gold to the Red Planet. What do you guys think? I think it's pretty advanded humbling, made it to the spave age to throw poop from above the atmosphere.

Reactions: Connor

ThePatriotBeast

Stars can't shine without darkness
Apr 9, 2021
Disgusting. But I guess it could work. Except for the fact that we might have to colonize Mars. Still, though, it's disgusting but good thinking.

Reactions: Connor
Dec 9, 2020
Not "Poo" but money, lots and lots of money will be thrown at Mars. Note: Given the probable inflation of all of the world's currencies, overtime "Poo" will be figuratively "worth its weight in gold" for crop fertilizer similar to what is now done in some countries. Ever see a grain of rice almost a large as a thumb nail? ..... such is the power of night soil, (i.e.: Poo for those who have neither seen nor experienced those fertile fields).

Feb 11, 2021
Not "Poo" but money, lots and lots of money will be thrown at Mars. Note: Given the probable inflation of all of the world's currencies, overtime "Poo" will be figuratively "worth its weight in gold" for crop fertilizer similar to what is now done in some countries. Ever see a grain of rice almost a large as a thumb nail? ..... such is the power of night soil, (i.e.: Poo for those who have neither seen nor experienced those fertile fields).
Lots of money are already thrown at Mars. I can't even count all research and missions, and moreover, can't count how much did they cost us.

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it would be a good thing to throw our poo at Mars? I've been thinking a lot about it and and it not only sounds like a possible way to start an atmosphere there it also sounds like a rocket industry. I imagine kids growing up wanting to become waste disposal, daily launches to fling our brown gold to the Red Planet. What do you guys think? I think it's pretty advanced humbling, made it to the space age to throw poop from above the atmosphere.
...maybe we could grow potatoes?

Dec 9, 2020
OK! I missed Eta Aquarid shower this morning and full grump mode has over ridden emotional control. Hence what follows. Sorry. If those designated as BKIAWICs, (Big Know It Alls What's In Charge), come to the conclusion that seeding Mars with "Poo" has agricultural potential despite aesthetic and biological concerns, shouldn't only the very best of the best "Poo" be used? To such an objective, I and others are willing to sell sundry mixtures of "Poo" for whatever exorbitant price "The Mars Poo Space Program" sets. N.B.: my in-laws could be prime contractors, so there would be no issues about supply.

Reactions: Catastrophe

ASK THE COMMUNITY