Why all the new development we got all the pieces right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LandoverLee

What are your guesses as to the amount of time it would take to re-fit an ISS module with one the upper stage engines floating about the industry to stage repeated trips to the Moon and back? We know a Shuttle could launch it. And all of the plans and tooling for the other pieces are fairly recent.

S

SteveCNC

I don't believe just one module from the ISS would be enough since no one module has everything needed for it to function IIRC . One problem with the ISS itself is you couldn't put a high yield motor on it since it can't handle much G force at all , it simply wasn't part of the specs needed when it was designed . However we should be able to build something from the shells of what already works you would think . This is where I think Bigelow has a lot of potential with their design . But there again it hasn't reached a proven design yet for that application and is still in the R&D phase .

S

sftommy

General response to subject;

Interesting line of thought?
Without new launch investment, we have as major launch vehicles;

Shuttle
Delta iV - Heavy
Atlas V

Imagine what we would have in orbit if constellation funding and the new heavy launch monies were invested in these tried and true vehicles instead.

E

EarthlingX

sftommy":ij4gi8my said:
General response to subject;

Interesting line of thought?
Without new launch investment, we have as major launch vehicles;

Shuttle
Delta iV - Heavy
Atlas V
There is also
Ariane V
H IIB
Proton

Proton can bring over 20t to ISS height and inclination, which i think is more than Shuttle, or at least very close.

Proton was build to be able to do Moon orbit insertion, but i think Soyuz, with about half of mass to LEO, can do it too. There were some talks about selling Soyuzes for touristic rides around the Moon, but story calmed down, probably too expensive for joyrides, or above current Soyuz production capacities.

sftommy":ij4gi8my said:
Imagine what we would have in orbit if constellation funding and the new heavy launch monies were invested in these tried and true vehicles instead.
I will just remind you, that RS-68B modifications for HR are done, now it will take about 3-4 years and a lot of money to get NASA HR certificate.

M

MeteorWayne

LandoverLee":g1e191f0 said:
What are your guesses as to the amount of time it would take to re-fit an ISS module with one the upper stage engines floating about the industry to stage repeated trips to the Moon and back? We know a Shuttle could launch it. And all of the plans and tooling for the other pieces are fairly recent.

About 100000 years, since none of the ISS modules are designed for, nor could support such a mission.

G

Gravity_Ray

LandoverLee":3hw8qe76 said:

Thats not what the ISS is about (well it could use a Ion Engine for reboost) but aside from that its not designed to move much.

However, check out docm's excellent post and its exactly what your talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11776&hilit=bigelow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts