Why "Star Trek: The Next Generation Still Sux"!

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

:lol: Alp- I got a chuckle out of it.

Yeah man, Kirk would just say: 'Mr. Sulu, HARDABOUT! Warp six!' Not 'give me warp 6', or whatever. Maybe if they had some damage, he might get on the com and say 'Scotty, I need warp 6', or something like that.

I think the whole Riker thing (and you're right, he was never really doing anything on the ship) was that Picard would be the semi-elder wise sage officer in charge, and Riker was supposed to be a captain Pike-like, younger field officer guy, reserved for most of the fighting and bruising, such as it was.*

Kirk was in his early mid-thirties, and I suppose some network/producer dictator goofwad decided that a thirty-something Captain was too young for the awesome responsibility of commanding a constellation class starship 'at space'. They felt it should be someone older, wiser, and infinitely boring. :lol:

*Good point comparing and contrasting First Officers Spock and Riker. Spock had his department, and not only knew what it was but also knew what he was doing. Riker didn't seem to really have a definitive post.

And Scotty could rig up just about anything, especially if he had Mr. Spock to assist on the computers and the theoretical engineering and science aspects. It was so cool when those two collaborated.

S

StarRider1701

a_lost_packet_":37kiheio said:
ZenGalacticore":37kiheio said:
....Dang I loved his character, as I loved all of them. They just don't have characters that loveable and engaging on TNG.

/slap
Whiney little haters with no imagination.
/slap

How often did Riker get off his butt and actually go do something that didn't include running around in the holodeck like an idiot?

Look, in the pilot, Number One was workable. In fact, I liked it.

What the heck is with Data?

Riker led many of the away missions. He certianly was NOT always in Picard's shadow. Although passing up several promotions to Captain in favor of staying the First Officer of the Enterprise was a questionalbe career choice for any military Officer, one could understand his reasoning.
"Number One" is a military term started a long time ago and used in the pilot of TOS. The term Number One does NOT denote any specific individual, it is a term for the First Officer, the Second in Command of any ship.

Data was not trying to be like Spock. Perhaps that was what was wrong with him in your view!

The Original Star Trek series was great, a show well ahead of its time. But totally mindlocking on the show and the characters to the point of hating anything that isn't exactly them, is childish in the extreme. As is ranting about it for decades after the fact!
Slap. Get over it.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Star rider- There's nothing to get over. Perhaps you should get over it. This was obviously started as a satirical-and cynical- opinion thread.

And yeah, we know what a First Officer is, and everyone is well aware that Roddenberry based his Federation structure on naval concepts of rank, command, and control. Geeez! :)

A

a_lost_packet_

StarRider1701":e2y51nvu said:
...Riker led many of the away missions.

.. And didn't get killed and put out of our misery!

He certianly was NOT always in Picard's shadow. Although passing up several promotions to Captain in favor of staying the First Officer of the Enterprise was a questionalbe career choice for any military Officer, one could understand his reasoning.

No, I couldn't and I'm sure several couldn't. Putting the opportunity in there for him to be promoted just so his character can show his enamored support for his Captain and maintain an unhealthy desire to command the flagship of the fleet for his first command was... somewhat unbelievable.

"Number One" is a military term started a long time ago and used in the pilot of TOS. The term Number One does NOT denote any specific individual, it is a term for the First Officer, the Second in Command of any ship.

Yes, I understand. In TNG, the title of "Number One" means - They guy that doesn't do anything but prop up the Captain's shadow, chase skirts and look "important" to the natives when the Captain can't be bothered to beam down because he's too busy playing detective on the holo-deck.

Data was not trying to be like Spock. Perhaps that was what was wrong with him in your view!

Of course not! He couldn't be Spock! Data was the foil that many, all too human, emotional plotlines ran against JUST as Spock was the foil in TOS for similar stories. It worked so well in TOS that they introduced something "updated" for TNG - An android. Worf, in turn, presented a foil for the viewers as well, showing that some primitive emotions are "good" to have instead of the constant, stale, whiny atmosphere most of the crew seemed to enjoy in TNG. :)

The Original Star Trek series was great, a show well ahead of its time. But totally mindlocking on the show and the characters to the point of hating anything that isn't exactly them, is childish in the extreme. As is ranting about it for decades after the fact! Slap. Get over it.

Psst... It's a gaff. It's a joke. It's a way to blow off steam and amuse yourself by creating unimaginably obtuse criticisms of something. It's a bit of foolery, entertainment for constructing amusing anecdotes and then creating outlandish, over-inflated archetypes which you can poke with verbal sticks and throw poo at.

But... the show did suck.

:p
;)
:D

B

Boots09

I've probably seen most of the original ones with my pop as he likes it best to. I did'nt hate TNG but think I'd pick the original. On one thread I mentioned its hard to watch the older stuff sometimes as the spec. effects were not like today. But with the org. ST I like the charactors and how they interact, so can over look some bad S-effects. With TNG my fav. are Worf & Data. But just don't have the same interaction with the charactors like OST. My dad would agree with the ones on here that say Picard is a wimp..lol.

Oh..and I totaly get why the nurse had a crush on Spock... :shock:

P

pathfinder_01

Nah I think the reason some hate TNG is because to them it is less action orientated. I think TNG is more thought provoking.

As for Riker, I hate to say it but I like the command structure of TNG a lot better than TOS. With TOS every time the science officer left the 2nd in command left. So every time Kirk and Spock were on the planet is left a situation where

a. no one was clearly in command of the ship
b. Some unknown actor/character from bellow decks is sitting in the captain’s chair
c. Chekhov is in command (and he isn't always presented as the most competent of officers)

With TNG, Riker or Picard can head an away team. If the away team needs the science officer then you haven't messed with the 2nd in command. If Riker and Picard both leave then Picard can appoint someone to act as captain or let the normal well defined default line of command occur (i.e. Data, Jordie, Worf).

Anyway Riker is presented as basically running the ship. His job is to keep the captain from being overwhelmed with mundane detail. Kirk on the other hand is presented as running the ship down to the last detail in TOS. Although he becomes a tad more hands off in the movies after his promotion to Admiral.

Picard on the other hand is a very high ranking captain. Where as Kirk in TOS is sometimes out ranked by other captains or people on board. Picard is basically doing an admirals work and is rarely outranked by someone aboard.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Boots- Special effects are salt and pepper on the prime rib, not the meat itself. A good story, and characters is the meat.

Path- Chief Engineer Mongomery 'Scotty' Scott was third in command, unless there was a visiting Commodore on board. Chekov never commanded the Enterprise in TOS. Sulu probably would've been fourth in line for command, then Lt. Uhura, followed by Ensign Chekov.

C

CommonMan

It can’t sux no more. It is not on anymore to sux, so let’s get over it.

Z

ZenGalacticore

CommonMan":2gqmnccr said:

You get over it Charlie Brown!! :lol:

We've had some laughs and a good time discussing TNG and what really has become a thread about discussing the whole Star Trek franchise and the incomparable dynamics, drama, and character development of the original show.

If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. So there! ;)

C

CommonMan

ZenGalacticore":f07c3u05 said:
CommonMan":f07c3u05 said:

You get over it Charlie Brown!! :lol:

We've had some laughs and a good time discussing TNG and what really has become a thread about discussing the whole Star Trek franchise and the incomparable dynamics, drama, and character development of the original show.

If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. So there! ;)[/quote

I did read all of it. And I agree with almost everyone who replied. I am 50 years old, be 51 on 10-27. I can remember the first star trek with Captain Kirt, from the beginning, watched it every time it came on. Wouldn’t have missed it for nothing. Now think, that was in the 60; s, the special effects was not all that great. Some of the story lines would have been much better if redone today. Star trek Next Generation had better special effects but did lack a good story line. I replied to the post, it said STILL sux, I admit it did sux somewhat, but it can’t sux no more. (Unless they make another movie). :lol:

Z

ZenGalacticore

I disagree, the story lines, if re-done today, would be-if history of redoing stories is any guide- worse. And IMO, while special effects certainly help to augment ANY genre, especially sci-fi and sci-fan, they are just that: augmentations.

Special effects are the salt and pepper on the prime rib, they are not the MEAT itself.

I'm surprised that you, being 4 years older than I, put such importance into special effects. :)

M

mj1

Dude,
I partially agree with you. The first couple seasons of TNG did blow chunks. The series did get much better though. The Borg cliffhanger episodes were excellent, as were the Klingon civil war episodes. Gowron is my favorite psycopath Klingon. And that TNG movie with the Borg Queen, First Contact was also very good. I still watch and enjoy that movie today. Yes, TNG had it's down moments, but there were a few gems in there too. The show also gave us 2 other excellent series, DS-9 and Voyager. It's not all 'haterade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts