Why "Star Trek: The Next Generation Still Sux"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

It's awful because all they ever do is sit around and talk away the episode. Their technology is sooooo superior, that they don't ever have to worry about anything, even those humanoid aliens that look like post-hydrogen-bomb-world war-III Ross Perots. (Remember Ross Perot, with his big ears? "Hey Bill!, you don't stomp around in the pig sty barefoot!!!")
And God forbid that Captain Picard ever gets into a fight, or gets laid, or does anything other than sit down and talk with his officers and 'the Counselor' (nice boobs on her though), about how to bore the audience to death.And it's obvious that Commander Riker is the illegitimate son of Captain Pike. I mean come on, he acts just like him. One can easily see Riker saying to an alien while he's holding a phaser to the said alien's head: "You know what I think? I think that this micro-anti-matter-power-pack-phaser is working just fine and that you're trying to put the illusion in my head that it is mal-functioning!! Well, what do you say I try my theory out on your *#&!%ing head!???If only TNG was that exciting.

Oh and, don't forget, the token black guy with a con-founded twentieth-century automobile air filter on his face who is also blind. Isn't it enough that he's an engineer and he's black? No. He has to be an African...American?(heck, I don't know if he's American or not, it is after all the 24th Century. But from his accent, I'd say he's from Indiana, or thereabouts.) But they felt the need to make him blind AND black AND put an air filter on his face!!! If I were a black man, the bad story lines aside, I would have been seriously offended by that alone.

And 'Data'? Ok look, Data's cool. I actually like him. He's probably the best character in the whole rotten play. But if he's so smart, why do we need real humans in the first place? Yeah, I know the storyline: The guy who designed and built Data is dead, or gone, or trapped in the 10th M-Theory Dimension. No one knows how to make another 'Data'. Of course, with all their "invulnerable" technology, they can't just freeze or 'switch-off' the pale sickly bastard and analyze his constituent parts and reproduce the pasty faced android. And if the writers had any talent, they would've done that and perhaps made a few hot fembots(whether pale, tan. red, yellow, black, who cares?) Show some T & A, ya homos!!!

And that Whoopi Goldberg bartender character? With the well-endowed counselor[Troi], who the hell needs a psychological therapist bartender on a 24th Century Starship?Good God!!! Awful Science-Fiction!!Your thoughts?

Okay. I'm bringing this back so that R-1 and others will read it. Keep in mind that the introduction, while from the heart, was obviously intended as cynical satire and humor. ZenGalacticore

A

a_lost_packet_

<p>Typical ST:TNG Episode</p><p>1) Something happens.&nbsp; An alien shows up, a monster, a piece of space garbage becomes sentient, Data gets his first wood.. SOMETHING happens.&nbsp; No, they can't just have a normal dang day.&nbsp; Reading their ship's log has GOT to cause their Superior Officer fits, hair loss and high blood pressure.&nbsp; No ship in the Fleet runs into, over or through as much floating crap as the Enterprise.&nbsp; It's a wonder their hull isn't brown.</p><p>2) They don't do anything about it.&nbsp; No matter how much you scream, their blinders are on and they go blithely about their daily routine.&nbsp; <span style="text-decoration:underline">LORD HELP THEM IF SOMEONE INTERRUPTS THEIR DAILY ROUTINE </span>ZOMGZ<span style="text-decoration:underline">!</span>&nbsp; An entire damn squadron of maggot infested sex-crazed zombie battleships could invade the Galaxy but, as long as they phone ahead, it's OK. </p><p>3) Something gets blown up, someone dies or Riker runs out of condoms due to whatever happened.&nbsp; Suddenly, it's a <u>problem</u>.&nbsp; NOooo.. It wasn't a problem before. Nobody has an ounce of foresight.&nbsp; Not one.&nbsp; Not a bit.&nbsp; Who the hell knows how they keep the ship going straight if they can't think past the next warp pulse?&nbsp; I've seen goldfish with a greater attention span and more analytical grey-matter than half their crew put together. Not one officer could notice a problem developing if it crawled up their butt and tied their jiggly bits in knots. &nbsp; </p><p>4) They have a meeting....&nbsp; Anyone who has ever actually been to a real life honest to goodness meeting knows one thing: They don't do jack for solving a problem.&nbsp; They are an excuse to get out of the office, drink the good coffee and then spend 30 minutes "on your way back" to the office afterwards.&nbsp; But, in ST:TNG every time someone wants to take a crap they have to have a full staff meeting about it.&nbsp; They are addicted to meetings.&nbsp; Picard has a blankon for meetings.&nbsp; He actually greases the sides of the nifty sliding doors in his Ready Room just so its easier for his staff officers to get in.&nbsp; It's true.&nbsp; They can't beam a dang screwdriver out of someone's chest if it gets stuck but, five'll get ya ten that Picard has ordered transporter coordinates preset for his damn Ready Room just in case someone is late. They MUST have a meeting.&nbsp; They take notes too.&nbsp; I've seen it.&nbsp; NOBODY in their right mind takes notes at a meeting.&nbsp; It makes you look like you're not paying attention!&nbsp; You nod and think about what the chick across from you would look like in a thong.&nbsp; You DON'T take notes.&nbsp; They also ask the computer stupid questions that don't have anything to do with the problem but some numbnut has to justify his rank and show the kids how he can talk "computer."&nbsp; Let the dang computer run the ship why don'tcha.. ya bunch of morons. </p><p>5) Someone always gets assigned to do something they don't normally do during the meeting.&nbsp; "<em>Will, I want you to help Jordy phase-couple the transducer coil spanner wrenches on this.&nbsp; He's going to need all the help he can get.</em>" NO @#%$&nbsp; HE'S FRIGGIN BLIND!&nbsp; Who'da thunk it!&nbsp; Ever notice that - Someone always helps Jordy?&nbsp; Why does he pick Riker all too often?&nbsp; Sure, send help.&nbsp; But, don't send someone who actually knows what the heck he's doing.&nbsp; OH NO!&nbsp; Send the guy who banged his way up the promotion ladder putting Admiral's wives over the table and hasn't a dang clue what a spanner wrench is to go help the blind guy fix it. </p><p>5) Something breaks, the Engines conk out, the Captain's tea has little curly hairs in it.. something just goes all gremlin...&nbsp; Jordy is the top active duty Engineer in Star Fleet on the Fleet's capital ship and can't keep a damn thing working.&nbsp; WHO THE HECK THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA TO HAVE THE BLIND GUY FIX STUFF?&nbsp; That PROVES that Star Fleet is a paint-by-numbers 110% MILITARY operation.&nbsp; Nobody can clusterblank an operation like the Military.&nbsp; In Star Trek's case, they've had a few extra hundred years to perfect it.&nbsp; It is a known fact that BUPERS is run by sadistic ex-NAZIs who are still ticked off by that whole WWII thing who assign posts by throwing darts at a wall. </p><p>6) They've agreed to have another meeting after people get through doing whatever the computer told them to do.&nbsp; At this second meeting, they give "Reports."&nbsp; I've seen it.&nbsp; They actually give reports.&nbsp; Anyone who knows what a "Report" means knows that it is all the stuff you were going to do but, didn't.&nbsp; So, you find something that sounds really hard and play it up like you did it and it was extremely difficult and taxing but, it took much longer than expected because.. it was someone else's fault.&nbsp; Then, everyone looks at that poor SOB and he gets to explain why you can't finish your Report.&nbsp; Well, they do this on TNG too but they blame it on the computer or on some poor innocent shmuck Engineer back at Star Fleet.&nbsp;&nbsp; Since only two or three people in the Universe can actually get the damn computer to say anything useful by speaking "computer" that's usually a safe bet to lay blame on.&nbsp;&nbsp; The innocent Engineer back at Star Fleet everyone's been blaming crap on for five years won't know why he got assigned to making toilet lid bumpers for Klingon urinals. </p><p>7) Whatever it was they planned, whatever it was they fixed, whatever it was they were supposed to do.. it didn't work.&nbsp; Ya think?&nbsp; /sigh&nbsp; After all these years of meetings and assignments and reports and more meetings, can't someone just finally figure out that whatever it is they think they should do is just gonna be wrong?&nbsp; Here's a clue - Call someone else that has never set foot on the Enterprise and ask them what you should do!&nbsp; THAT WORKS!&nbsp; How many times has the alien engineer, alien visitor, super-geek from Star Fleet or random hobo made a suggestion and had it work on Enterprise?&nbsp; A heck of alot more times than any of their darn suggestions ever have!&nbsp; Pull over and ask for directions ya idiots.</p><p>8) Everybody panics.&nbsp; Tension is in the air.&nbsp; You'd think after years of doing stuff wrong<u> every single day </u>another thing going blotto'd would just be routine, right?&nbsp; NO!&nbsp; It say's in Star Fleet regulations (who the heck quotes regulations anymore?&nbsp; That's a good way to get assigned to scrubbin space barnacles.) that "Routine" means no problems.&nbsp; A problem is an interruption of routine therefore a problem but there can't be a problem if you have a Routine but.. You can see why they panic.&nbsp; Someone inevitably get's ticked off because ignorant people usually get mad when they can't understand something. </p><p>9) Breakthrough!&nbsp; EUREKA!&nbsp; Someone, something, somehow something is figured out to solve the problem.&nbsp; Surprise, it's always the simplest damn answer!&nbsp; All the fancy meetings, all the stupid "computer" questions and all the hemming and hawing about who's gonna help blind Jordy break something else didn't mean squat.&nbsp; I TOLD YOU MEETINGS DON'T SOLVE A THING!&nbsp; Yep, it's not a meeting where this breakthrough occurs. It's someplace mundane.&nbsp; Riker is sitting on the can or Picard is polishing his head or Data finally figures out what girls or for and then.. BANG an idea!&nbsp; Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the one lowly enlisted guy that actually knows what he is doing is busy scrubbing the Jeffries tubes and praying someone will transfer him off the ship before some officer shows up and promotes him so he can attend meetings as his Assistant. </p><p>10) Denouement.: Data does something cute and stupid.&nbsp; One minute, Data is a source of serious philosophical reflection and then the next he's worse than your drunk Uncle with a lampshade on his head.&nbsp; THIS IS THE PINNACLE OF ANDROID DESIGN?&nbsp; Sure, he's great for solving complex mathematical problems.&nbsp; But, so's my TI-35!&nbsp; Data can bend things and play music.&nbsp; Heck, I can bend things with a conduit bender and crack it over a keyboard to make noise too!&nbsp; But, I don't let it drive the friggin ship!&nbsp; Anyway, there's always a chuckle about something stupid Data did yet nobody mentions he outranks most of the people on the darn ship!&nbsp; GG Star Fleet, you're a WINNAR!&nbsp; I told ya BUPERS was sadistic.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> And if the writers had any talent, they would've done that and perhaps made a few hot fembots(whether pale, tan. red, yellow, black, who cares?) Show some T & A, ya homos!!!<br /> Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>If the writers had been homos, they would have included some gay characters, as Gene Roddenberry promised. &nbsp;Science-fiction author David Gerrold, who wrote TOS's most popular episode, "The Trouble with Tribbles", is gay, and submitted a script that involved gay crewmates, but the ST-NG producers turned it down as "too controversial". &nbsp;It seems that diversity in the 24th century doesn't go <span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">that</span></span> far....</p><p>I remember being sorely disappointed in Star Trek: The Next Generation when it first aired. &nbsp;I thought the scripts were tiresome rehashes of plots from TOS, or just just plain unexciting. &nbsp;Where were all the great stories, full of action, tension, and suspense, like TOS was full of, especially in the first two seasons? &nbsp;You only had to watch for the first ten minutes to know exactly how the episode would turn out. Things never got exciting with TNG until they introduced the Borg. &nbsp;I agree that Data (and maybe Worf) was the ONLY interesting character; all the other crew members were as predictable as clockwork.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>Star Trek TNG didn't really hit its' stride till the 3rd season.&nbsp; The unfortunate 2nd season was a consequence of a writers strike.&nbsp; Most of the really awful eps are from then.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>First season introduction of Q was awkward, but the several series stuck with it, and in Voyager resulted in the excellent ep with a suicidal Q.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The 'pre-Borg' foray (the parasities taking over star fleet HQ) was dreadful, but retooled as the Borg, (catch the start of the retooling in the 'sleeper' episode) the concept produced some of the best TV sci-fi.&nbsp; IMO, the jury is still out on the Borg appearance on ST Enterprise however. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The 'crutch' that the time travel episodes have become is almost as trite as the forehead of the week thing. (with the incredible exception of Yesterday's Enterprise) </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

10_stone_5

<p><font size="2" color="#000000">There were any number of memorable episodes through all 7 season:</font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 7,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><u>All Good Things,<font color="#000080"> </font><font color="#000080">Homeward</font></u></font></font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 6,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><font color="#000080"><u>Chain of Command,&nbsp;<font color="#000080">Tapestry</font></u></font></font></font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 5,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><u><font color="#000080">Redemption</font><font color="#000080">,&nbsp;</font><font color="#000080">Cause and Effect</font></u></font></font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 4,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><font color="#000080"><u>The Wounded,<font color="#000080"> </font><font color="#000080">Clues</font></u></font></font></font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 3,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><u><font color="#000080">The Survivor</font><font color="#000080">s</font><font color="#000080">, </font><font color="#000080">Yesterday's Enterprise</font></u></font></font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 2,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><u><font color="#000080">Where Silence Has Leas</font><font color="#000080">e</font><font color="#000080">, </font><font color="#000080">Pen Pals</font></u></font></font></p><p><font size="2">- Season 1,&nbsp;<font color="#000080"><u><font color="#000080">Where No One Has Gone Before</font><font color="#000080">, Conspiracy</font></u></font></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><strong></strong></em></p> </div>

D

docm

<p>Chain of Command</p><p>The First Duty</p><p>First Contact</p><p>Sins of the Father</p><p>The Measure of a Man</p><p>All Good Things...</p><p>Tapestry</p><p>The Inner Light</p><p>The Best iof Both Worlds I & II</p><p>Yesterdays Enterprise</p><p>Heart of Glory</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

<p>The Inner Light is one of the best, if not THE best episodes in TV Sci-fi, period.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

I agree completely.&nbsp; Excellent, regardless of the media. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jim48

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It's awful because all they ever&nbsp;do is sit around and talk away the episode. Their technology is sooooo superior, that they don't ever have to worry about anything, even those humanoid aliens that look like post-hydrogen-bomb-world war-III Ross Perots. (Remember Ross Perot, with his big ears? "Hey Bill!, you don't stomp around in the pig sty barefoot!!!")And God forbid that Captain Picard ever gets into a fight, or gets laid, or does anything other than sit down and talk with his officers and 'the Counselor' (nice boobs on her though), about how to bore the audience to death.And it's obvious that Commander Riker is the illegitimate son of Captain Pike. I mean come on, he acts just like him. One can easily see Riker saying to an alien while he's holding a phaser to the said alien's head: "You know what I think? I think that this micro-anti-matter-power-pack-phaser is working just fine and that you're trying to put the illusion in my head that it is mal-functioning!!&nbsp;Well, what do you say I try my theory out on your *#&!%ing head!???If only TNG was that exciting.Oh and, don't forget, the token black guy with a con-founded twentieth-century automobile air filter on his face who is also blind. Isn't it enough that he's an engineer and he's black? No. He has to be an African...American?(heck, I don't know if he's American or not, it is after all the 24th Century. But from his accent, I'd say he's from Indiana, or thereabouts.) But they felt the need to make him blind AND black AND put an air filter on his face!!! If I were a black man, the bad story lines aside, I would have been seriously offended by that alone.And 'Data'? Ok look, Data's cool. I actually like him. He's probably the best character in the whole rotten play. But if he's so smart, why do we need real humans in the first place? Yeah, I know the storyline: The guy who designed and built Data is dead, or gone, or trapped in the 10th M-Theory Dimension. No one knows how to make another 'Data'. Of course, with all their "invulnerable" technology, they can't just freeze or 'switch-off' the pale sickly bastard and analyze his constituent parts and reproduce the pasty faced android. And if the writers had any talent, they would've done that and perhaps made a few hot fembots(whether pale, tan. red, yellow, black, who cares?) Show some T & A, ya homos!!!And that Whoopi Goldberg bartender character? With the well-endowed counselor[Troi], who the hell needs a psychological therapist bartender on a 24th Century Starship?Good God!!! Awful Science-Fiction!!Your thoughts? <br />Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV><br /><br /><strong><font size="2">I agree completely. Well put! That show came dangerously close to being boring. I thought the Troi character was useless. Data was interesting and Patrick Stewart was a fine actor playing a politically correct character. There were some good shows during its seven year run, but of the post-<em>Star Trek Star Treks</em> I think the best was <em>Deep Space Nine</em>. That was almost a psychodrama, and unlike all the other <em>Star Trek</em> shows, there was not one weak sister in the cast. That entire cast from top to bottom was quite good.</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>...but of the post-Star Trek Star Treks I think the best was Deep Space Nine. That was almost a psychodrama, and unlike all the other Star Trek shows, there was not one weak sister in the cast. That entire cast from top to bottom was quite good. Posted by jim48</DIV></p><p>!!</p><p>GAAAH!</p><p>I... hated DS9.&nbsp; Well, "hate" is a strong word.&nbsp; Perhaps loathed is better?&nbsp; The only entertaining bit on StD9 was Quark-focused storylines.&nbsp; I really couldn't stand most of the cast.&nbsp; I did enjoy the one bit with the three savants and the doctor. (Made an appearance in a few episodes, I think.)&nbsp; But, other than that, I could never come to grips with DS9 as entertainment. </p><p>I never saw the appeal of DS9.&nbsp; Sure, I can clearly see the appeal of a space-station on the fringes of controlled space.&nbsp; That's an easy one.&nbsp; I'm a big Bab5 fan after all.&nbsp; But, the characters, some of the acting (although, I put a lot of that to bad interpretations instead of a lack of skill) and some of the storylines were just bad, IMO.&nbsp; Any novelty the idea of a "Trading Post" in space quickly wore off after a plot was set or an actor opened their mouth. (I thought Avery Brooks was the most wooden, lackluster, uninspiring "leader" figure that has been on television in recent history.) </p><p>If you had three specific and "good" things you can say about DS9, what would they be?&nbsp; I'd really like to know what everyone found appealing in that show. </p><p>Sorry for my harsh criticism.&nbsp; Part of it is directly the cause of my inability to understand other's infatuation with DS9. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

<p><em>&nbsp;</em>ALP- Wow! I didn't think anybody hated the show as much or more than I do.</p><p>Eddie- Sorry about the 'homo' remark. I actually should've said 'neuters'. And the stories were tiresome, stale, flat, boring rehashes of TOS plots. But they also managed to come up with their own original, boring fodder.</p><p>Jim48- 'Dammit Jim!' it <em>was </em>boring. I have no problem with Stewart or the other actors themselves. An actor can only do so much with awful script writers and even worse directors.</p><p>Junkheap-very funny, a bannana clip:)</p><p>Vogon- I agree, the whole Borg thing made the show more interesting. I caught a few of those and was able to actually <em>almost get</em>&nbsp;through&nbsp;the whole episode.</p><p>But like I said and Alp elaborated on: All they ever seem to do is sit around and have meetings in the conference room. It seemed that the writers were too worried about that preposterous, rediculous concept we call "political correctness." That's why they had the Counselor, I guess, because God forbid anybody goes 'space crazy' or gets legitimately pissed off about anything at all!</p><p>In the Original Series(sad we have to say that, we should&nbsp;be able to just&nbsp;say 'Star Trek' and everyone would know you meant Kirk, Spock, Scotty and the boys with the girls in the Federation Issue mini-skirts!) sh-- started going down in the first 30 seconds and you were glued to your seat and you actually loved and cared about the characters and what happened to them. At least, as a poster mentioned above, in the first two seasons.</p><p>Why can't they write characters with grit, ummph!, derring-do, and dynamic personalities anymore? Why does everyone have to be so damned rational, calm, and...boring all the time? I mean, Spock and Bones and the conflict between them even though they had great respect for each other professionally. Now thats REAL MAN. And Scotty, oh man oh man, nobody beats Scotty the Scottish engineer, best engnr. in the whole danged starfleet!!!!!!!!!</p><p>Kirk- Scotty,...What's our speed? music-dunum-dunum-dunum-dunum</p><p>Scotty- Werr goin' arrround in circles a warp 10 sirrr!; and at thot speed werr goin' noowherre mitey fahsst.-music-bomb-bomb-bom-bom---bomb-bomb-bom-bom--doodleedee-dodleedooCRASH!</p><p>Hey! That's one of the main problems with TNG, no dramatic soundtrack to speak of!!!! Although I did see part of one episode where Worf is going gonzo about some other enemy Klingons on the ship who are after him and they played the original Klingon score from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That made it much more interesting for a while, but then the music stopped and they had another damn meeting. I changed the channel as soon as&nbsp;I saw them in the 'bored' room. :)))</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

10_stone_5

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Inner Light is one of the best, if not THE best episodes in TV Sci-fi, period.&nbsp; <br />Posted by rybanis</DIV></p><p><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="Discussion_PostTable"><tbody><tr><td class="Discussion_PostTableUser">http://www.space.com/common/community/profile.php?userid=839112&plckUserId=839112&nbsp; <div id="forumPostAuthor[10]" class="Discussion_UserName"><font color="#003399">docm</font> </div><div class="Discussion_UserInfo"></DIV> </div>

J

jim48

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;ALP- Wow! I didn't think anybody hated the show as much or more than I do.Eddie- Sorry about the 'homo' remark. I actually should've said 'neuters'. And the stories were tiresome, stale, flat, boring rehashes of TOS plots. But they also managed to come up with their own original, boring fodder.Jim48- 'Dammit Jim!' it was boring. I have no problem with Stewart or the other actors themselves. An actor can only do so much with awful script writers and even worse directors.Junkheap-very funny, a bannana clip:)Vogon- I agree, the whole Borg thing made the show more interesting. I caught a few of those and was able to actually almost get&nbsp;through&nbsp;the whole episode.But like I said and Alp elaborated on: All they ever seem to do is sit around and have meetings in the conference room. It seemed that the writers were too worried about that preposterous, rediculous concept we call "political correctness." That's why they had the Counselor, I guess, because God forbid anybody goes 'space crazy' or gets legitimately pissed off about anything at all!In the Original Series(sad we have to say that, we should&nbsp;be able to just&nbsp;say 'Star Trek' and everyone would know you meant Kirk, Spock, Scotty and the boys with the girls in the Federation Issue mini-skirts!) sh-- started going down in the first 30 seconds and you were glued to your seat and you actually loved and cared about the characters and what happened to them. At least, as a poster mentioned above, in the first two seasons.Why can't they write characters with grit, ummph!, derring-do, and dynamic personalities anymore? Why does everyone have to be so damned rational, calm, and...boring all the time? I mean, Spock and Bones and the conflict between them even though they had great respect for each other professionally. Now thats REAL MAN. And Scotty, oh man oh man, nobody beats Scotty the Scottish engineer, best engnr. in the whole danged starfleet!!!!!!!!!Kirk- Scotty,...What's our speed? music-dunum-dunum-dunum-dunumScotty- Werr goin' arrround in circles a warp 10 sirrr!; and at thot speed werr goin' noowherre mitey fahsst.-music-bomb-bomb-bom-bom---bomb-bomb-bom-bom--doodleedee-dodleedooCRASH!Hey! That's one of the main problems with TNG, no dramatic soundtrack to speak of!!!! Although I did see part of one episode where Worf is going gonzo about some other enemy Klingons on the ship who are after him and they played the original Klingon score from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That made it much more interesting for a while, but then the music stopped and they had another damn meeting. I changed the channel as soon as&nbsp;I saw them in the 'bored' room. :))) <br />Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV><br /><br /><strong><font size="2">Always a pleasure to encounter a true connoisseur of <em>Star Trek</em> episodic music. The music editors were often challenged when there was no money in the budget for an original score, which was more than half a season worth of shows! Sol Kaplan did "The Enemy Within" early in the first year and they played that music to death. Ditto for his score for "The Doomsday Machine" early in the second year. Fred Steiner's work from early in the first year got played throughout the show's run. I just love your interpretation of Kaplan's menacing countdown from "The Doomsday Machine". Bravo! Encore!</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

StrandedonEarthsince1970

<p>The best part of DS9 was the Dominion War story arc. They probably blew the entire TNG special effects budget in 1 or 2 Dominion War episodes.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yes, I live for pretty FX </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em><strong>Now where on Earth did I park my UFO?</strong></em></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Always a pleasure to encounter a true connoisseur of Star Trek episodic music. The music editors were often challenged when there was no money in the budget for an original score, which was more than half a season worth of shows! Sol Kaplan did "The Enemy Within" early in the first year and they played that music to death. Ditto for his score for "The Doomsday Machine" early in the second year. Fred Steiner's work from early in the first year got played throughout the show's run. I just love your interpretation of Kaplan's menacing countdown from "The Doomsday Machine". Bravo! Encore! <br />Posted by jim48</DIV><br /><br />Hell yeah man! The music was such an intrinsic part of the success of that show, along with great stories, characters and character interplay, AND, the reactions of humans when dealing with unknown phenomena! It wasn't all just about the technology itself, with a bunch of meaningless technobabble, like TNG.</p><p>'The Doomsday Machine', one of my favorite episodes. As well as 'The Immunity Syndrome', 'Balance of Terror', 'The Galileo Seven'(where Spock's in command), and 'The City on the Edge of Forever'.</p><p>And the drama was outstanding. In the 'Deadly Years', Commodore Know-nothing-about-field-command is in charge because Kirk is 90 years-old and senile and relieved of command. The Enterprise is surrounded by Romulan birds of prey and have been broadsiding the ship. Scotty says: That's it Commodore, that last plasma blast took out our primary shields.</p><p>music- dunum-dunum-dunum-dunum----dunum-dunum-dunum-dunum</p><p>Commodore-[<em>Swallows&nbsp;in fear</em>]&nbsp;I'm going to have to surrender</p><p>At that point, the music subsides and Ensign Chekov pivots slightly in his chair and says:</p><p>Commodore...The Romulans do not take capteeves.</p><p>music-bomb-bom-bom-bom--bomb-bom-bom-bom-doodledee-doodledooCRASH!!!</p><p>Commodore-[<em>Now just starting to get his courage] </em>What am I going to do? I have to do something.</p><p>At that moment, like the Cavalry over the hill, Capt. Kirk arrives, cured of the aging disease(and everyone on the bridge gestures a sigh of relief), and takes command and saves the ship by bluffing with the 'corbomite device'. And the bureaucrat Commodore learns 'just what a Starship can do, with the right man at the helm'.</p><p>Superb!!!!!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

Y

yevaud

<p>I have always had a soft-spot for the episode, "By Any Other Name."</p><p>Can't forget Scotty getting the alien drunk.&nbsp; "What is it?"&nbsp; "Well it's...it's...<em>green</em>."&nbsp; "I'll drink it."&nbsp; "And I'll get it!"</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jim48

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I have always had a soft-spot for the episode, "By Any Other Name."Can't forget Scotty getting the alien drunk.&nbsp; "What is it?"&nbsp; "Well it's...it's...green."&nbsp; "I'll drink it."&nbsp; "And I'll get it!" <br />Posted by yevaud</DIV><br /><br /><strong><font size="2">An interesting "Aliens Take Over the Ship" episode, that scene is a scream! I remember the first time I saw it at a <em>Star Trek</em> con decades ago with hundreds watching. We were rolling! "By Any Other Name" also&nbsp;contains ZenGalacticore's favorite Sol Kaplan danger/countdown music cue, as well as some fresh material by Fred Steiner.</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

<p>Jimmy Doohan was quite the man.&nbsp; Did you know he was in the Canadian Army at Normandy during D-Day, and had a finger shot off?&nbsp; That's why he always took pains to keep his right hand as hidden as possible during the filming of the series.</p><p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Doohan</p><p>Read the section, "Military Service."</p><p>FYI, Leonard Nimoy was born and raised about eight blocks from where I am sitting. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I have always had a soft-spot for the episode, "By Any Other Name."Can't forget Scotty getting the alien drunk.&nbsp; "What is it?"&nbsp; "Well it's...it's...green."&nbsp; "I'll drink it."&nbsp; "And I'll get it!" <br />Posted by yevaud</DIV><br /><br />Yeah that was a great one! Especially the scene with Scotty.&nbsp;I also thought it was funny how they dressed the male Andromedans up in feminine looking costumes, because-if I remember correctly- the Andromedan males were all sterile, that's why Kirk got to mate with that hottie. No wait, that could've been 'Wink of an Eye'. Hell, I got the first two seasons on my computer right the ---- in front of me, havn't watched 'em in a long while though, need to check that sometime.:)</p><p>I tell ya, I don't remember any scene with Scotty in it that I didn't absolutely love, except maybe in 'Wolf in the Fold'. But when he was on the ship, he was THE Chief&nbsp;engineer in his element.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

D

docm

Scotty in "Trouble with Tribbles" was a hoot. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>...I tell ya, I don't remember any scene with Scotty in it that I didn't absolutely love, except maybe in 'Wolf in the Fold'. But when he was on the ship, he was THE Chief&nbsp;engineer in his element. Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV></p><p>I agree completely.&nbsp; Scotty was my favorite character aside from Kirk.&nbsp; But, I sort of look at all of them like one big family - You have to take all of them or none of them.&nbsp; Scott just has a special place reserved for him in my thoughts.&nbsp; Great guy, great character and a source of inspiration for millions of technowizards.</p><p>Is there any engineer worth his slide-rule that grew up in that era that DIDN'T owe some of his attraction for engineering to Scotty?&nbsp; I doubt it. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

S

StrandedonEarthsince1970

The lowest point of TNG had to be the episode I refer to as "Beavis and Butthead at MegaDeath." Utterly boring waste of time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em><strong>Now where on Earth did I park my UFO?</strong></em></p> </div>

J

jim48

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yeah that was a great one! Especially the scene with Scotty.&nbsp;I also thought it was funny how they dressed the male Andromedans up in feminine looking costumes, because-if I remember correctly- the Andromedan males were all sterile, that's why Kirk got to mate with that hottie. No wait, that could've been 'Wink of an Eye'. Hell, I got the first two seasons on my computer right the ---- in front of me, havn't watched 'em in a long while though, need to check that sometime.:)I tell ya, I don't remember any scene with Scotty in it that I didn't absolutely love, except maybe in 'Wolf in the Fold'. But when he was on the ship, he was THE Chief&nbsp;engineer in his element. <br />Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV><br /><br /><strong><font size="2">What did you think of the <em>Next Generation</em> episode that Scotty guest starred in?</font></strong> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts