Would you rely on a plasma window in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I was watching a Modern Marvels episode (History Channel) on Star Wars tech. One of the things they mentioned were the huge windows. Even the small multi-paned windows in the Millennium Falcon's cockpit are bigger than what we can do with glass or plexiglas. So they suggested using Plasma. It seems that we do actually have windows made of Plasma that are all of two inches across using today's technology. It was suggested that larger versions may soon be possible. (But no mention of whether or not they would be clear.)

My question to you: Would you trust such a window? My biggest concern would be a power failure to the unit. What happens?

J

js117

Same Idea that is used on Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis . They called it a force field.
They do memsion losing power in the first episode of Stargate Atlantis and looing the city.

J

justinc210

The armored shutters idea is spot on. But perhaps we should be looking at this the other way around. Like for example in Star Trek...whenever the Enterprise experiences a hull breach the computer activates force fields that shield off the breach temporarily so that crew members can seal off the area. So maybe these plasma windows could be used as fail-safes for the glass windows.

Also, with the current level of materials research going into advanced polymers, I wouldn't be surprised if a clear plastic were developed that we could use to make even larger windows. Also, as the strength of the materials used to comprise the structure increases, so does the possible size of the windows. Take a look at the new windows on the Boeing 787 for example.

D

docm

Star Trek IV had it right: transparent aluminum. It really exists today as aluminium oxynitride, also known as ALON. Solid up to 1,200 °C (2,190 °F). Very, very tough and highly impact resistant - enough so it's been looked at as a transparent armor.

A plasma window as a backup is a cool idea - but with the current power requirement of 20 kW per inch of diameter.....

M

MeteorWayne

This thread is rapidly deorbiting to Sci Fi or The Unexplained. Perhaps a few scientific posts can save it.... :roll:

W

willpittenger

MeteorWayne":3tmeqd7y said:
This thread is rapidly deorbiting to Sci Fi or The Unexplained. Perhaps a few scientific posts can save it.... :roll:
Like justinc210's post just above yours?

D

docm

MeteorWayne":1zpj9zhg said:
What's scifi or unexplained about ALON? Tough stuff even if expensive at $15-20/sq in.

B

Bill_Wright

Only if it gets better resolution than my LED powered LCD.

;-)

-- Bill

T

tampaDreamer

If such a "plasma window" was possible, it'd be great as a backup for the entire hull, if you could rig it. Pinhole punctures temporarily held up by the field? Sorry don't mean to go sci fi with this.

D

docm

tampaDreamer":363lf8xk said:
If such a "plasma window" was possible, it'd be great as a backup for the entire hull, if you could rig it. Pinhole punctures temporarily held up by the field? Sorry don't mean to go sci fi with this.
The difference is between possible and practical. Plasma windows are real, they were developed at Brookhaven Natl. Lab. in 1995 and small ones are even used commercially, but they aren't practical for larger applications like sealing the Enterprise's hangar door or spacecraft windows - yet.

W

willpittenger

Well, I think that tampaDreamer was talking about something like a fractured hull from a transphasic torpedo strike. Although, it sounds like such a system could work as your shields—if you could sustain something that large.

T

tampaDreamer

willpittenger":2d58lpxs said:
Well, I think that tampaDreamer was talking about something like a fractured hull from a transphasic torpedo strike. Although, it sounds like such a system could work as your shields—if you could sustain something that large.

No, I'm talking about getting hit by fraction of an inch space junk.... nevermind.

M

MeteorWayne

Since this thread has had little or no serious content, it will likely be moved to Sci Fi.

W

willpittenger

MeteorWayne":3as0m3h2 said:
Since this thread has had little or no serious content, it will likely be moved to Sci Fi.
The only lack of "serious content" has been your posts--one of them a double post. Get real.

B

Booban

Why have windows at all? Windows are old fashioned, this is the Space Age.

Hang up a flat panel TV, put a camera on the outside the hull och for all intents and purposes, you have a 'window'.

M

MeteorWayne

That's a sad viewpoint IMHO.

There's nothing quite like looking through a telescope and seeing Saturn or Jupiter as the photons hit your eye.

A CCD or TV image, while it may be able to show more detail, pales by comparison.

W

willpittenger

Booban":1k2cv6dy said:

Hang up a flat panel TV, put a camera on the outside the hull och for all intents and purposes, you have a 'window'.
So what would you do if the power failed—or your camera/TV broke down?

B

Booban

MeteorWayne":t9n65lxw said:
That's a sad viewpoint IMHO.

There's nothing quite like looking through a telescope and seeing Saturn or Jupiter as the photons hit your eye.

A CCD or TV image, while it may be able to show more detail, pales by comparison.

You put on the 3D glasses ofcourse!

B

Booban

willpittenger":3f2ffuvg said:
Booban":3f2ffuvg said:

What would one do if anything broke. Just thought I'd be practical, hardly any reason to have a window at all, especially when you can't even open it, lean out and say, "hey! I can see my house from here!" :)

W

willpittenger

Booban":1njuwr3h said:
willpittenger":1njuwr3h said:
Booban":1njuwr3h said:

What would one do if anything broke. Just thought I'd be practical, hardly any reason to have a window at all, especially when you can't even open it, lean out and say, "hey! I can see my house from here!" :)
Sure you could. You might die in the attempt, but...

A

AI8525

To put a serious comment on file that will get a serious answer...

OK, I accept about 20kW per square inch for a plasma window, that's about what I would expect, but assuming that you had unlimited power, how large would be the largest breach that you could seal with a plasma window/current level of tech? And how would you incorporate plasma windows into your hull? Have hundreds and hundreds of the devices on standby in a lattice structure and hope that the micro-meteroid doesn't actually hit the device? I am not really familiar with the technology; cannot get any real info; too lazy and not enough time to do a whole lot of surfing. It is a large, bulky contraption or a neat honeycomb of wires?

So, basically what i'm asking is with current technology, assuming unlimited energy (yes I know not a huge amount of energy on a spaceship) how large would be the largest breach you could seal? One square meter? Fifty square kilometers? (obviously not, just example.)

Also how would you configure said devices in your hull so that you can seal any breach, within reason, anywhere on the hull?

Lastly, does the power requirements for the devices expand exponentially per square inch as you expand the window? Has anyone made a window bigger than one square inch? PLEASE answer without some lame joke; good humour appreciated but not mindless waffle.

Y

yevaud

AI8525":clae24fe said:
To put a serious comment on file that will get a serious answer...

I'd suspect the energy requirements would be ferocious, and yes, likely grow exponentially. For even a "Cold" Plasma, one must contain it which, as I understand it, is very energy-intensive.

I would not rely on such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts