2007 Peruvian impact at the LPSC

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

<p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">The just finished LPSC had a number of abstracts on last years Carancas impact event.<span>&nbsp; </span>Given the fact there still seems to be some scepticism &ldquo;out there&rdquo; regarding this event, here are some links to the abstracts.<span>&nbsp; </span>The authors included researchers from Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Canada, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Peru, the UK, Uruguay, and the US.</font></span></p><p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Harris et al. PRELIMINARY PETROLOGIC ANALYSIS OF IMPACT DEFORMATION IN THE CARANCAS (PERU) CRATERING EVENT. <span>&nbsp;</span></font><font face="Times New Roman" color="#800080">http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/2446.pdf</font><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span></p><p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Prado et al. <span style="color:black">THE METEORITE FALL IN CARANCAS, LAKE TITICACA REGION, SOUTHERN PERU: FIRST RESULTS. <span>&nbsp;</span><font color="#800080">http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/2555.pdf</font>&nbsp;</span></font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span></p><p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Miura MULTIPLE EXPLOSIONS DURING CRATERING AT CARANCAS METEORITE HIT IN PERU. <span>&nbsp;</span></font><font face="Times New Roman" color="#800080">http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/2027.pdf</font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span></p><p><font face="Times New Roman"><span style="font-size:10pt">Schultz et al. IMPLICATIONS OF THE CARANCAS METEORITE IMPACT.</span><span style="font-size:10pt"> <span>&nbsp;</span><font color="#800080">http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/2409.pdf</font></span></font><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span></p><p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Tancredi et al <span>WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE &ldquo;CARANCAS-DESAGUADERO&rdquo; FIREBALL, METEORITE AND IMPACT CRATER? </span></font><font face="Times New Roman" color="#800080">http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/1216.pdf</font><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span></p><p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">The impact was an ordinary chondrite, class H4 or H5, travelling at 3-6 km/s. impacting at an angle of 45-60 degrees. <span>&nbsp;</span>Initial velocities were 12-18 km/s, mostly likely 16 km/s.<span>&nbsp; </span><span>&nbsp;</span>It is estimated to have had a diameter of 1.1 m, a mass of 3 tonnes, and the explosion to have been equivalent to 2 tonnes TNT. No fragment larger than a few kg was recovered.<span>&nbsp; </span>The meteoric material has weathered very rapidly.<span>&nbsp; </span>The impactor&rsquo;s orbit was probably inclined at 25 degrees to the ecliptic and an aphelion inside the orbit of Jupiter.</font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span></p><p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">The crater was 13.6 m in diameter and 1.04 m deep from the ground surface to the submerged floor. Water has risen to the ground level.<span>&nbsp; </span>The rim is between 1 and 3 m high. There was a strong secondary steam explosion from shallow groundwater heated by the impact.<span>&nbsp; </span>The crater was excavated into alluvium of a dry stream bed and has a large ray, the rim has classic inverted stratigraphy.<span>&nbsp; </span>The crater walls have slumped significantly because of their wet unconsolidated nature.<span>&nbsp; </span>Numerous microscopic shock deformation textures were observed in the ejecta.</font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span> </p><p style="margin-top:0cm;margin-left:0cm;margin-right:0cm" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">A paper has been submitted to the leading peer reviewed journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters.<span>&nbsp; </span>I have access to this at work and will keep people posted.</font></span></p><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font></span><span style="font-size:10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Jon</font></span> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp; The authors included researchers from Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Peru, the UK, Uruguay, and the US.Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>Thanx, Jon. I see I have some reading to do :)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>PS, I think you dissed one country in the author list. AFAIK, Peter Brown is from Canada :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> I think you dissed one country in the author list. AFAIK, Peter Brown is from Canada :) <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Fixed, thanks</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Y

yevaud

That's a quite nice rememberance, Jon, using a AC Clarke quote as your sigline.&nbsp; Kudos. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

<p><font size="2" color="#003300"><strong>Cheers Jon,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#003300"><strong>Like MeteorWayne, I too have some interesting reading to do now.<br /></strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#003300"><strong>Yes I agree Yevaud, that is a nice tribute to the Late A C Clarke.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#003300"><strong><br />Andrew Brown.</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>Glad you like it.&nbsp; It was first used in "Interplanetary Flight" in 1950 and reused in "The Promise of Space".&nbsp; It sums up much of Clarke's vision, it grabbed my imagination when I first read it more than 30 years ago, and stll does.&nbsp; It has beocme my vision too.</p><p>cheers</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>From Science News:</p><p class="MsoNormal">Scientists have crunched the numbers for the September 2007 meteorite that landed in the Andes and suggest that the larger than normal impact crater resulted from the object&rsquo;s unusually high speed. </p><p class="MsoNormal">Most stony objects that blaze through Earth&rsquo;s atmosphere are blasted to bits by air resistance at high altitude (<em>SN: 11/23/02, p. 323</em>). Because the meteorite that struck eastern Peru on September 15 landed intact, its minerals must have been stronger than those typically found in similar extraterrestrial objects, says Peter Brown, an astronomer at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario. He and his colleagues report the first comprehensive analysis of the 2007 impact in an upcoming <em>Journal of Geophysical Research</em><span>&ndash;<em>Planets</em></span>. </p><p class="MsoNormal">Data gathered by infrasonic sensors &mdash; part of the worldwide system designed to detect atmospheric pressure waves from nuclear explosions &mdash; indicate that the object entered the atmosphere from the east-northeast at a speed of around 12 kilometers per second. </p><p class="MsoNormal">By the time the object slammed into the high ground of the Andes &mdash; at an elevation of 3,800 meters, where the air is much thinner than it is at sea level &mdash; it probably was traveling no more than 4 kilometers per second, the researchers estimate. Still, the team&rsquo;s analyses indicate that, had the object struck somewhere near sea level, air resistance would have further slowed the body&rsquo;s speed to below 1 kilometer per second. </p><p class="MsoNormal">The meteorite probably measured about 1 meter across and weighed about 1.5 metric tons when it reached the ground. Because the impact speed of the object was abnormally high, the crater it gouged &mdash; about 13.5 meters across &mdash; was larger than the average crater created by a other meteorites of its size. </p><p class="MsoNormal">The energy released by the 2007 impact, which flung rocks and soil as far as 200 meters from the crater, was equal to that generated by exploding more than two tons of TNT, Brown and his colleagues estimate. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.