Absolutely indestructable armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocketmonkey

Indestructable armor. The dream of all warriors since the beginning of war. I think its possible.

Here's how it works. We cool atoms until the electrons are permanently binded to the nucleus, even in high heat. This creates less distance between each atom, and that makes less ability to scratch. Almost no distance between them makes almost absolute indestructability.

Those of you who think this will make a huge explosion, electrons slow down as they get closer to the nucleus. ;) :cool:

1of6Billion

Sounds a bit like "Neutronium" to me... :cool:
Problem would be lifting it up... It would have an unimaginable density :roll:

R

rubicondsrv

What you are looking for can be found in a general products hull. Buy one today for a mere 1,000,000 stars!

D

drwayne

"General Products" - I haven't heard that one in a long time....

:)

Y

yevaud

rubicondsrv":215euoqh said:
bushwhacker":215euoqh said:
my memorys shot but wasn;t that the puppeteer books?
aye, tis correct.

And amazing series. Niven is da bomb!

(Gil the Arm is my favorite character)

R

rocketmonkey

Seriously, the first two posts were relevant! Lets go back to the thread please?! :x

S

SpaceNovice

I don't know a whole lot about the suggestion you proposed, but if you're looking for an indestructible material to make armor out of, try making a suit out of my girlfriend's meatloaf. Nothin' will penetrate that thing... guaranteed.

S

StarRider1701

:lol:
1of6Billion":e8z2zfux said:
Problem would be lifting it up... It would have an unimaginable density :roll:

If you could make something like what you proposed, you wouldn't be able to lift a peice of it if it were large enough for you to see with the naked eye! Not a very practical peice of armor plate, "Here, make sure you fire your bullet right here at this tiny little dot... As long as you shoot there, I'm indestructable!" :lol:

Yes, the General Products hulls were absolutely guaranteed to survive anything. I remember the story where one didn't. General Products replaced it with only a little bit of grumbling! "You didn't tell us you were going to get that close to the event horizon of a black hole..." Niven, great storyteller.

R

rocketmonkey

You misunderstand me. I am talking about locking the electrons to the nucleus so there is less space between each atom. I guess we need more armor to shrink the suit that I can build... OR I can just make the suit with a smaller density so it is lighter.

See that idea? Very good, no?

The trick would be to calculate how big to make the suit to fit a human. Will it have to be twenty feet tall? Thirty? More?

I guess Ill just have to make a bunch of them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Assuming we have the technology to do it in my lifetime. ;)

S

Shpaget

You are well understood, and the answer remains the same.
That material would have unimaginable density.

If you decrease distance of electrons from the nucleus (somehow, but I can't imagine how would you do that, since cooling it down won't accomplish it) you would force the crystal matrix to become much more dense.
Since pretty much entire mass of an atom is concentrated in the nucleus, but the nucleus is incredibly small compared to entire atom (electron cloud) nucleus is very dense.

I don't understand the last part of your last post.

S

Solifugae

Wouldn't work for personal armor, but wouldn't the density problem even out if you had a starship or other machine with the entire chassis constructed in this way? Sure it will be unbelievably dense and massive, but it will also be unbelievably strong to the same proportion. As for managing to move this much mass? Well, use the same method for the fuel - make it ultra-dense too, so that the amount you can fit in the craft and amount of energy per mass is proportionate.

Will this work?

S

Shpaget

Rocketmonkey still hasn't explained how he believes this could be achieved.

From Low Temperature Laboratory:

The record-low temperature was reached in a piece of rhodium metal, which was cooled to 100 pK, or 0.000 000 000 1 degrees above the absolute zero.

They don't mention anything like electron cloud collapsing to the nucleus.

Y

yevaud

StarRider1701":26arw35f said:
Yes, the General Products hulls were absolutely guaranteed to survive anything. I remember the story where one didn't. General Products replaced it with only a little bit of grumbling! "You didn't tell us you were going to get that close to the event horizon of a black hole..." Niven, great storyteller.

Actually, it was an entire planet made of anti-matter. It finally wore down the General Products hull's ability to act as if a single molecule, and it self-disassembled.

Obviously, I recollect the story well... ;)

R

rocketmonkey

Shpaget":35gmpcjo said:
Rocketmonkey still hasn't explained how he believes this could be achieved.

From Low Temperature Laboratory:

The record-low temperature was reached in a piece of rhodium metal, which was cooled to 100 pK, or 0.000 000 000 1 degrees above the absolute zero.

They don't mention anything like electron cloud collapsing to the nucleus.

Maybe you have to cool it to absolute zero. If that doesn't work we can cool it and increase the electromagntetisim of the protons to lock in the electrons.

S

Shpaget

It is impossible to reach absolute zero. Even in theory.
How could you increase proton charge? :?

R

rocketmonkey

I'm not talking about making the armor with todays technology. I'm talking about in the future. In the future I'll bet that increasing a proton charge will be a high school science fair project. :lol:

A

a_lost_packet_

rocketmonkey":2i7bv4o9 said:
Indestructable armor. ..

Nothing is "indestructable" if it exists in our Universe. So, simply make its destructible parts projected into another Universe where we can't reach them....

Entropy > ALL

Well, at least everything else able to affect anything in Universe_1. Maybe not in Universe_2, 3, 4, etc..

Other than that, try Neutronium if you're man enough to lift a suit made out of it..

Or, give a call to General Products. ;) (Great series, just read the last book a couple of months ago)

R

rocketmonkey

Hmmm... maybe not indestructable, but as indestructable as you can get something is what I am trying to make. Well, Im not making it. Just designing how it could be made in the future.

A

a_lost_packet_

Well, for practical purposes, you could go with something like this:

hs1558762_1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise

http://www.inventortroy.com/

If he is right and it could be mass produced for $2000 each, it might be practical for military use. However, there'd have to be some materials changes, I bet. Hand it off to a military lab and let them fiddle with it for a bit then put it out in field tests first.

For practical discussion, your best bet might be a laminate. Kevlar, carbon fiber with ceramic plating in some areas. Lightweight, durable and able to protect against most threats. An added benefit to rigid armor would be attachment points for lightweight devices. Plus, it keeps all the soft bits and pieces in one spot, in case of catastrophic injury...

But, substitute that common carbon fiber above with Graphene, and you may have something as indestructible as practical. So, Graphene rigid body, kevlar laminate, ceramic ballistic plating over key areas and.. there ya go. Hella expensive until Graphen production was industrialized. Maybe a Graphene/Resin molded laminate with kevlar would do the trick? It'd be mold-worthy, suitable for mass production of fitted pieces.

R

rocketmonkey

I could possibly use that, but see if you could find if it went through ballistics and explosive testing.

Maybe Id want to reinforce it with some other lightweight yet strong armor, like the chain mail mithryl in "Lord of the Rings; Fellowship." :cool:

Y

yevaud

Definitely a Chobham style layered laminate for certain. Of course, the key to all good body armor (or for vehicles) is to spread out the force of the impact, cofferdam it as it were.

A

a_lost_packet_

rocketmonkey":361x4gut said:
I could possibly use that, but see if you could find if it went through ballistics and explosive testing.

Maybe Id want to reinforce it with some other lightweight yet strong armor, like the chain mail mithryl in "Lord of the Rings; Fellowship." :cool:

As I said in the above post, you'd want to make it into a laminated armor, probably with kevlar in there somewhere, perhaps a few other materials including some ballistic ceramic plating for vital areas, just in case.

Mithril is great. But, if someone hits you with a baseball bat... Well, you'll be picking your puckered flesh from between those mithril links. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts